• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Party of Canada Leadership

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thucydides said:
Don't worry, Justin will crush the Mcguinty's with one hand tied behind his back. I will even join the LPC and work for the Young Dauphin's leadership race just to ensure this happens if needed.

Yes, I am serious about this.

I have no doubt in my mind that you would.

I just... I cannot fathom the amount of sheer... ineptitude, that someone would need in order to even CONSIDER for 1 second, that McGetThisGuyAwayFromAnythingImportant could be a Prime Minister, let alone a Federal Politician.

See  « Reply #156 on: Today at 21:07:26 »

:dunno:  Stranger things have happened....ok, strange things; too soon yet to tell if it's "stranger."

E.R. Campbell said:
Governor Mark Carney, speaking in Vancouver said, according to Reuters, at a follow up press conference: "Look, I am doing my job. I am going to do my job. It’s pretty simple, I’ve got two years and change, at least, left on my mandate ... Why don’t I become a circus clown? I appreciate the great concern about my career, but I have gainful employment and I intend to continue it.”

I wonder how carefully he chose his words ... is he comparing the Liberal Party of Canada to a circus and the next leader to a clown?

As I've said on at least one occasion: I think Mark Carney is more Conservative than Liberal, while being less conservative than liberal. It would not surprise me to see his name pop up in Torrie circles after Mr Harper's time at the helm comes to a close.

Liberal über-insider Warren Kinsella suggests, in his column in the Toronto Sun, that Dalton McGuinty can win the federal Liberal leadership race because:

"One, he has government experience. The other expected candidates, as impressive as they are, just don't. Government experience counts, particularly at times like these. Particularly against a cagey opponent like Prime Minister Stephen Harper. 

Two, McGuinty has a winning record. He's the longest-serving premier. He's a survivor. And, as noted, he has won three back-to-back victories — two majorities, and one very near majority. That's not bad. 

Three, McGuinty has built up the most successful Liberal machine in Canadian politics. All of that team — and, full disclosure, I had the privilege to run his war room in all three of his election campaigns — will follow him wherever he goes. With the help of the likes of political strategist Don Guy, deputy chief of staff Dave Gene, chief operating officer Laura Miller and the premier's brother Brendan, McGuinty has been the winningest Grit in Canadian politics."

Kinsella goes on to suggest that Canadian Liberals should not jump, too soon, to Justin Trudeau.

McGuinty will be poison to the Liberal's hopes for Ontario. Not that they could do much worse than now.

Hmmm....Martin to Dion to "what's his face" to (Trudeau, McGinty, Garneau, etc)......

Messiah's are definitely in short supply.....

ModlrMike said:
McGuinty will be poison to the Liberal's hopes for Ontario. Not that they could do much worse than now.
Maybe not as bad as Bob Rae, but there may be a bad taste in Ontarians' mouths, especially once we hear more about missing documents and Ornge during the Liberal leadership campaign - those issues will certainly provide a lot of messaging potential for the other guys.

More fed leadership speculation from "one insider close to McGuinty" via CP:
....  For the past month, a draft campaign has been in the works to persuade McGuinty to jump into the federal fray.

Some of his closest campaign advisers have been involved, including brother Brendan McGuinty — who was on hand for McGuinty’s news conference Monday — and Don Guy, campaign director for each of McGuinty’s three winning provincial campaigns.

Deputy chief of staff Dave Gene, former chief of staff Chris Morley and former operations director Charlie Angelakos are also part of the group.

Sources say a leadership campaign road map has already been sketched out.

“The core nucleus of the team that he’s been able to build around him, that took him through three election campaigns, is a proven team. … It would be a ready-made team that would be able to focus on this (leadership) as well,” said one insider close to McGuinty.

McGuinty has not yet decided whether to take the plunge, those close to him insist, but he is feeling the pressure.

“I don’t think he’s changed his mind yet,” said one close associate. “But I can tell you that some of this is getting to him.” ....

ModlrMike said:

Agreed, but don't discount Kinsella's reasoning; the leader will be chosen by the Party and the Party wants one thing and one thing only: POWER.

Dalton McGuinty does have some undeniable advantages over Trudeau, Coyne and almost anyone else who might enter the race: experience, a winning record and a machine.

----------​

But it brings up one of my own  :deadhorse:  how parties select leaders. I believe parties should select leaders from within, primarily, the parliamentary/legislative caucus: sitting members plus most recent (or currently nominated) candidates, not by the party membership. But, I think there is a more important role for the party, at large: policy. The party platform is far too important to be developed by a small band of insiders from in Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary who sit around a boardroom table in Ottawa, remote from the wants and needs of Canadians.

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, are Justin Trudea's thoughts on Dalton McGuinty as a potential competitor.

Bass ackwards said:
Eloquent bugger, isn't he...

Well he was a substitute drama teacher and an actor in a CBC mini series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_War_(2007_film)

That, his surname and his "wonderful hair" are apparently the needed prerequisites to lead the country.  ::)

Danjanou said:
Well he was a substitute drama teacher and an actor in a CBC mini series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_War_(2007_film)

That, his surname and his "wonderful hair" are apparently the needed prerequisites to lead the country.  ::)

Unfortunately, those prerequisites may well get him elected to lead the country.
(I wonder if he was ever a community organizer...?)

Bass ackwards said:
(I wonder if he was ever a community organizer...?)

hang on a minute I'm updating his wiki entry now.... I'll add that. >:D

And the Globe and Mail reports that having, just today, raised enough money to pay off her 2006 campaign debt, Martha Hall Findlay is pondering another run for the Liberal leadership.  ::)

She at least has published a good paper on the effects of Marketing Boards, so has something to bring to the convention policy wise. Of course the paper would be right at home at the CPC convention....

edit to add:

More on Marc Garneau

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/10/17/john-ivison-fiscally-restrained-marc-garneau-a-good-contrast-to-trudeau-mentia/

John Ivison: Fiscally restrained Marc Garneau a good contrast to Trudeau-mentia

John Ivison | Oct 17, 2012 6:44 PM ET
More from John Ivison

THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean KilpatrickLiberal MP Marc Garneau rises during Question Period in the House of Commons on Parliament Hill in Ottawa on Monday, October 15, 2012

Marc Garneau still speaks in the conditional tense when talking about the federal Liberal leadership campaign. But maybe not for much longer.

When it’s suggested to him that many people think he is too dull to become leader, he all but admits he is running. “I’m not going to develop into something I’m not. I hope to bring substance, discipline, principle and a factual, evidence-based approach,” he said in an interview in his Parliament Hill office.

“I can’t control how the total package is received but I hope it will be compelling enough.”

Related
Justin Trudeau leadership bid rockets Liberals past NDP: poll
Dan Arnold: Liberal challenge will be to inject substance into Justin the rock star

Mr. Garneau was one of only six chosen from 4,000 candidates for the Canadian astronaut program, so he’s faced long odds before.

But he is at a considerable disadvantage against Justin Trudeau, who is disproving the old line that politics is show business for ugly people.

Mr. Trudeau and his floppy fringe appeared on CBC’s George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight last month — Mr. Garneau had probably best not hold his breath for his invitation.

He said he is not fazed by speculation that Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty may enter the race. “That has no bearing on me. I’m still going full steam ahead,” he said. Another potential candidate emerged Wednesday, when Martha Hall Findlay’s team said debts from the 2006 leadership campaign have been cleared, opening the way for her entry.

There are legitimate questions about Mr. Garneau’s chances in a contest where success will likely be gauged by who can keep their speeches short and peppered with vapid notions of hope, renewal, whatever.

Political campaigns are about inspiring passion and loyalty. It’s not an environment in which Mr. Garneau is likely to thrive, in part because of his training.

“One of the reasons I was chosen as an astronaut is my ability to keep calm under pressure … But occasionally I can get excited,” he said, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

But what is it we want from our politicians? By any measure, except star wattage, Mr. Garneau is a strong candidate. Perfectly bilingual with a doctorate in electrical engineering, he logged 678 hours in space and ran a $300-million-a-year Crown corporation, the Canada Space Agency. Ironically, the vocation for which he is least qualified is politics — he was first elected in 2008, part of the same Liberal intake as Justin Trudeau.

He is coy about specific policies, but gives some sense of what a Liberal Party under Marc Garneau would look like. His focus would be on the economy, and in particular on improving Canada’s innovation and productivity performance.

“I’d make the necessary adjustments in industrial strategy where we’re getting the pants beaten off us. We have a huge talent pool of educated people but it’s clear to me that we’re underperforming. Thank God we have commodities,” he said.

The Liberal House Leader has seen at close quarters how key sectors of the Canadian economy operate.

A former director of oil company UTS Energy, he said he believes the oil sands are part of Canada’s future, but have to be developed in a sustainable way.

At the Canada Space Agency, he became familiar with the country’s aerospace industry, still the fifth biggest in the world.

“It is an area of strength in this country and a model that should give us cause for encouragement that we can do very well in the high tech sector.”

A former Navy combat systems engineer who was involved in procurement projects, he remains extremely critical of the government’s handling of the F-35 fighter jet file, contrasting it with the Liberal government’s purchase of the current CF18 fighters. “That was an example of how to do procurement — we chose the right plane after a competition and got outstanding industrial offsets,” he said.

Not only does it appear that a Marc Garneau campaign will contrast with Trudeau-mentia, by leaning heavily on policy, it sounds as if its philosophical underpinnings will be very different too.

Mr. Trudeau has said he will lead a “pragmatic centrist party” that will borrow from all parts of the political spectrum. Yet his few public utterances in the past suggest a leftward tilt in Liberal policy is pending. (Interpolation: even farther left? Pretty soon they will be fighting for votes with the Marxist Leninists and the Trotskyites! After that they will have to flip the Maoists, another rich lode of voters)

That should provide a foil for Mr. Garneau, who says he has always been a Liberal, but used to feel an affinity for the Mulroney-era Progressive Conservatives.

The suspicion he is a fiscal hawk was heightened when he criticized the Harper Tories for spending too much in their early years in power.

The 63-year-old insists on keeping up the pretense that his candidacy remains in doubt. But the mask is slipping, which suggests he is close to declaring.

“I told myself when I turned 60, ‘this is the decade I will work the hardest’. That’s what I plan to do,” he said.

The Liberals could do worse. For a party fixated on its own navel, being led by a man who has seen the Earth from space would add some welcome perspective.

National Post

Here are two opposing views on Dalton McGuinty and the Liberal leadership, both reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Toronto Star and the Toronto Sun, respectively:

thestar_logo.gif

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1272892--hebert-arguments-against-mcguinty-s-entry-into-liberal-leadership-race-are-superficial
Arguments against McGuinty’s entry into Liberal leadership race are superficial

By Chantal Hébert, National Columnist

Published on Wednesday October 17, 2012

OTTAWA—Dalton McGuinty is no political spring chicken.

Upon his resignation as premier, he could have bolted the door shut to a federal leadership run instead of courting inevitable speculation as to a future on Parliament Hill.

The outgoing premier may well have kept the door ajar as a diversion from a volley of provincial critics over his recent record and his decision to abruptly prorogue the legislature.

But if McGuinty is looking for a sneak preview of what may lay on the other side of the leadership door, it would be a shame not to indulge his curiosity.

In the spirit of full disclosure, let me first offer this admission. From a journalistic perspective, nothing would make the federal Liberal campaign more compelling than McGuinty’s entry into the race.

None of the other possible challengers to Justin Trudeau’s claim to his father’s crown would be as likely to turn the campaign into a real contest.

That being said, at this juncture, most of the arguments against McGuinty’s entry in the federal arena are only superficially convincing.

The most common one is generic. In the past, no provincial premier has gone on to become prime minister. But then, the last federal election demonstrated that there is a first time for everything.

It was not so long ago that it was taken for granted that Ontarians would never vote in great numbers for as conservative a leader from Western Canada as Stephen Harper, or that no federal majority was achievable without Quebec, or that the NDP was forever consigned to the wilderness in that province.

The argument that premiers do not go on to become prime minister was front and centre in the cases against the entry of Ontario’s William Davis and Mike Harris and Alberta’s Ralph Klein.

But their real, fatal flaw was incapacity to speak one of the two official languages. Chances are a bilingual premier will go on to become prime minister long before anyone who cannot speak French achieves that same goal.

McGuinty is hardly leaving office in a blaze of populist glory. But the fact is that in three years’ time, the federal election is more likely to revolve around the perceived failings of a three-term prime minister and the inexperience in government of the NDP than the provincial record of a former premier.

That would be even truer if the Liberals lost power at Queen’s Park between now and then. Whoever runs Ontario over the next few years is not in for an easy ride and his or her federal partners could be on the receiving end of a provincially-motivated backlash in 2015.

Then there is Quebec where many Liberals are hoping for a comeback under a leader with roots in the province. But given the history of both McGuinty and Justin Trudeau, there is no reason why the former premier would not make the Liberals as competitive in Quebec as the latter.

Jack Layton had spent his adult life in Ontario and still beat Gilles Duceppe and Stephen Harper and gave Montreal-based Paul Martin a solid run for his money in 2006.

With little left to prove in politics, my sense is that McGuinty would only run if he felt he had a reasonable chance of winning. In a standard leadership contest, the former premier would have better-than-even odds of beating Trudeau.

But this is not a conventional campaign. The federal leadership vote is open to all comers. On that basis, it is technically possible for the next Liberal leader to be elected without winning a single vote from actual members of the party.

It is plausible that even if McGuinty ran and convinced an overwhelming majority of party activists that he is the better choice, he would still lose to the tens of thousands of fans of a front-runner blessed with the following of a rock star.

That scenario, of course, would apply in spades to any top-tier contender that sets out to try to outrun Trudeau.

Chantal Hébert is a national affairs writer. Her column appears Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

And, the contrary opinion

TOsun-big.gif

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/17/five-reasons-outgoing-ontario-premier-mcguinty--wont-run-for-federal-liberals
Five reasons outgoing Ontario Premier McGuinty won’t run for federal Liberals

BY LORRIE GOLDSTEIN, TORONTO SUN

FIRST POSTED: WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 17, 2012

Of course it’s “possible” outgoing Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty will run for the federal Liberal leadership.

It’s also “possible” Justin Trudeau will announce tomorrow he’s withdrawing from the contest, to back him.

Anything’s “possible.” It’s just not bloody likely.

First off, McGuinty’s quip to reporters he has “no plans to run” federally after he announced his impending resignation as premier Monday, was like a wink to anyone with an institutional memory of Ontario politics.

Technically, saying you have “no plans” to run isn’t a firm denial for a politician, because plans can change.

But it has a special significance in Ontario politics.

In 1983, when reporters were pressing then-Ontario premier Bill Davis about whether he planned to run in the federal Tory leadership race eventually won by Brian Mulroney, Davis teased us for months, repeatedly saying he had “no plans” to run. And he didn’t.

Second, why in gawd’s name would McGuinty, who’s been premier of Ontario for nine years — one of the most high-profile political jobs in Canada — want to put himself through a grueling federal Liberal leadership race, where he would have only an outside shot at becoming the leader of the third party in the House of Commons?

That would leave McGuinty facing at least three and probably seven more years on the Liberal rubber chicken circuit before having a realistic chance (by no means a sure thing) of becoming PM. I mean, let’s not be silly. McGuinty, like most politicians, is ambitious. But he’s not a masochist.

Third, the timeline makes no sense, given that McGuinty has promised to stay on as premier until his successor is chosen by the Ontario Liberals, which would give him virtually no time to organize for the April 14 federal Liberal leadership convention.

Unless, that is, he intends to remain Ontario premier while running for the federal Liberal leadership which, if nothing else, would be good for a laugh.

Alternatively, McGuinty could break the promise he just made to stay on as premier until his successor is elected, in order to campaign for the federal leadership, at which point his political career would descend to the level of a French farce.

Fourth, McGuinty would enter the federal Liberal leadership race as badly damaged political goods, having just prorogued the Ontario Legislature to escape daily opposition questioning about a series of political scandals that have all but paralyzed his government since it was reduced from majority to minority status last year.

Ontario’s financial situation under McGuinty’s watch has deteriorated to the point where Moody’s Investors Service downgraded the province’s credit rating last spring, while Standard and Poor’s put it on credit watch.

Fifth is the historical reality no Ontario premier has ever successfully made the jump to prime minister, unsurprising in that representing Ontario in Confederation often means making political enemies elsewhere.

What seems to be fueling speculation about McGuinty entering the Liberal leadership is the premier having a bit of fun with the media and his political seconds talking it up as a cheap and easy way of flattering the boss.

But in the real world, it’s hard to imagine any true friends of McGuinty advising him to run federally for the Liberals, or of McGuinty taking them seriously, even if they did.

Food for thought ...

If I was a (federal) Liberal I would want someone of substance to challenge Justin Trudeau ~ my worry is that, first, Trudeau is a bit of a blank slate, Liberals hope for much but, actually, know little about him; and, second, that a coronation will not strengthen the new leader by exposing him to policy and personality challenges.

I'm not, in any way, endorsing Marc Garneau, nor do I agree with everything (not even most) of what he says here, but: can you imagine Justin Trudeau making the complex socio-economic policy argument that Garneau does in this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/marc-garneau-as-canadians-move-across-provinces-ottawa-must-address-equalization/article4619230/?cmpid=rss1&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
As Canadians move across provinces, Ottawa must address equalization

MARC GARNEAU
The Globe and Mail

Published Thursday, Oct. 18 2012

Our most recent census showed that there is an increasing age-related shift in our population, as young Canadians move to Canada’s booming western provinces. While the wagon-train westward is undoubtedly a boon for our country, Statistics Canada projects that age differences between provinces and territories will only grow starker.

Don’t get me wrong: federal policy should promote workers moving to seek better jobs. Such migration strengthens ties across our country. However, government policy cannot be blind to the differential demand for public expenditures resulting from age differences between provinces and territories. This is particularly true in healthcare spending.

According to recent news reports, it now appears Canada’s federal government is considering ways to amend Canada’s equalization formula – the formula calculating transfer payments from the federal government that ensures provinces and territories have sufficient revenues to provide comparable levels of public services across the country. While controversial, this is a good thing.

As baby boomers become senior citizens, aging will propel Canada-wide healthcare expenditure growth by roughly another percentage point annually. These age-related costs will hit provincial coffers just as Canada’s labour force growth slows and – absent a major boost to productivity – the trend pace of national economic growth falls by roughly a percentage point.

Yet, indifferent to age differences between provinces, the Harper Conservatives plan to tie federal funding for healthcare to the growth of the national economy after 2017, holding per capita health transfers equal between provinces.

But per capita healthcare costs increase with age. Across Canada, the average cost of healthcare for a person aged 65 to 75 is four times that for someone aged 25 to 50. As far as healthcare spending goes, a Canadian over 80 costs nearly 10 times that of one aged 25 to 50. These age differences across provinces will strain provincial budgets, affecting programs and taxes across the board.

As a young worker, where would you want to live? A province where you get low taxes and plentiful government services? Or a province where higher healthcare costs crowd out other public spending?

Let me state here that in no way am I arguing that elderly Canadians are a burden. What I am arguing, however, is the federal government must fulfill its constitutionally-mandated role to ensure “provincial governments have sufficient revenues to provide reasonably comparable levels of public services at reasonably comparable levels of taxation.”

This constitutional requirement for equalization has an economic rationale: workers should be able to move for better wages, but should not be encouraged to move because they can get more public services for less taxation. We shouldn’t create tax incentives for young people to flee certain provinces.

The good news is that, since getting older is unavoidable, it isn’t unexpected. The very predictability of this looming threat means we can prepare for it, mitigate it, and there are various paths we can take. Former governor of the Bank of Canada, David Dodge, has proposed stronger federal efforts to improve growth in eastern Canada to address regional imbalances and head off the potentially growing tensions over equalization. The federal Conservatives have been exploring amending the equalization formula. More ambitiously, a federal government more open to working with its provincial and territorial counterparts could champion the implementation of a pan-Canadian insurance plan: a flexible, portable plan that could cover the costs of drugs and long-term care. Working together, the federal, provincial and territorial governments could lower costs of care.

There are many more examples of how the issue could be addressed. Statistical evidence must guide any policy. However, the potential fiscal distortions from an increasingly uneven age distribution across the country cannot be ignored.

The bottom line is that the federal government must confront the demographic shifts facing our country. Our approach to healthcare funding must confront the reality that a Canadian born in Ontario and educated in the Maritimes may retire on the West Coast after spending her working life on the Prairies. The federal government – and only the federal government – has the responsibility to ensure that wherever Canadians live, they receive comparable levels of services at reasonably comparable levels of taxation.

Marc Garneau is Canada’s first astronaut, a former Commander in the Canadian Navy, the former President of the Canadian Space Agency and currently the Liberal Member of Parliament for Westmount–Ville-Marie.

Actually, of course, the federal government has only limited "responsibility to ensure that wherever Canadians live, they receive comparable levels of services at reasonably comparable levels of taxation." They, the feds, manage the equalization process which does, indeed, have that aim, but it is, ultimately, the provinces which use or misuse equalization to provide the comparable levels of services. And it is not within the Feds' power to guarantee "reasonably comparable levels of taxation," the governments of e.g. AB and QC (fail to) do that. But, that being said, M. Garneau is right - we do want, we should encourage, Canadians workers to migrate to the jobs, but that will leave many seniors 'behind' in regions that do not have the fiscal capacity to provide adequate healthcare. But: David Dodge is more right - enacting policies that will make jobs more readily available in Eastern Canada is better than fiddling with equalization. And there is another option: encourage seniors to migrate, too, to regions where employment is high and there is enough fiscal capacity to provide adequate services.

My point, however, is that this is a reasoned, rational suggestion on an important public policy matter, albeit one with which I disagree. I am not surprised that M. Garneau makes the suggestion. I cannot imagine the same words from M. Trudeau's pen.

Caveat lector: I know M. Garneau from many years past (the 1980s) - not well, but enough to have socialized, now and again, and to have known e.g. his first wife, etc. His career and accomplishments are stellar.

A correction to the Good Grey Globe's note at the bottom of the article. M. Garneau was promoted to Capt(N) while serving with the CSA and retired from the CF in that rank.

E.R. Campbell said:
And the Globe and Mail reports that having, just today, raised enough money to pay off her 2006 campaign debt, Martha Hall Findlay is pondering another run for the Liberal leadership.  ::)

Hmmm experience in paying down debt, is that actually a positive for a Liberal leader? 8)

The NP weighs on on McGuinty as potential Liberal Party of Canada leader. Looks like the Liberals may have to decide between the "least worst" choice in the high profile division, or actually do the work and pick a leader with some substance who can carry out the long deferred work of party renewal. Of course, Kelly McParland nails it in the last paragraph:

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/10/18/kelly-mcparland-mcguinty-rumours-move-liberals-from-fantasy-to-farce/

Kelly McParland: McGuinty rumours move Liberals from fantasy to farce

Kelly McParland | Oct 18, 2012 10:22 AM ET
More from Kelly McParland | @KellyMcParland

NASA Why would you want a space hero as leader when you an have the least popular politician in Ontario?

Let’s get real for a minute. The chances of Dalton McGuinty becoming leader of the federal Liberals are zilch. I doubt he’s clueless enough to be talked into even trying. The guy is toxic in Ontario: the very reason he quit as premier and shut down the legislature indefinitely was to avoid defeat, evade the avalanche of embarrassment that was engulfing the party over its latest scandals and give his colleagues a chance to regroup and try again later.

So now some of the people in charge of the Liberals in Ottawa think this is just the guy to pull them out of pit they’ve fallen into? The fact they would even consider it suggests a level of credulity that is hard to imagine. Do they even read Ontario newspapers? I half suspect this is a plot by Stephen Harper’s most deep-cover anti-Liberal operatives, who thought they’d never get an easier candidate to run against after Michael Ignatieff and Stephane Dion, but are plumping for a McGuinty candidacy anyway, just for a laugh.

Jean Charest would have a better chance of success in Ontario than Dalton McGuinty. (Now there’s a thought: maybe they should just switch provinces and kick-start their careers all over again). As my colleague Matt Gurney points out, if the Liberals weren’t willing to accept Bob Rae as their leader, what could possibly possess them to default to Dalton McGuinty? Bob Rae was the first Ontario premier to impose unpaid holidays on public employees, and they still haven’t forgiven him for it 20 years later. Mr. McGuinty is doing the same thing today, and is even less popular.

Rural Ontario can’t stand him, for destroying the horse industry, shuttering race tracks and throwing thousands of people out of work; for dotting the countryside with giant, uneconomical windmills that produce overpriced power that nobody needs, and because Mr. McGuinty rarely had the nerve to face them over their complaints. Take a look at the election map from the 2011 vote and the only areas that are Liberal red are in or around a few urban areas, mainly Toronto and Ottawa. And even there his support had tanked to such an extent that he had to sacrifice two power plants, at a cost of somewhere between $240 million and $700 million — to save a couple of suburban Toronto seats. Which he happily did, demonstrating just how little regard Ontario Liberals have for public finances.

I confess the Liberal mind is something of a mystery these days. For decades it was easy to guess what the Liberals would do — anything it took to hold onto power — but now, in the wilderness of third place, they’ve lost their bearings. It’s bad enough that they’re openly plotting to hand the leadership to Justin Trudeau on the sole basis of his last name and his hair. We still haven’t hard a single word of policy, or a single original idea from Justin, but already party greybeards are concerned that his ascent will become a coronation, robbing them of the publicity of a contested leadership. And the best they can up as an alternative is Dalton McGuinty?

Marc Garneau effectively concedes to John Ivison that he will be in the running. The noise about McGuinty “has no bearing on me. I’m still going full steam ahead,” he says. A serious man. An astronaut. A perfectly bilingual former naval commander with a doctorate in electrical engineering. A former university chancellor who ran the Canadian Space Agency, and has spent his time in Parliament thinking about the economy, productivity and health care, while Justin was taking boxing lessons.

The knock against him is that he’s unexciting. And Stephen Harper is a rock star? In their desperation to relive the Trudeau glories, the party forgets their greatest days were under Mackenzie King, Louis St. Laurent and Lester Pearson, who couldn’t scrape together an ounce of charisma amongst them but combined to keep the the Liberals running the country for 35 years.

Did they learn nothing at all from the Ignatieff debacle? The glam wears off fast once the mouth opens and the words come tumbling out, folks. You can dress up Justin all you want, but he’s never going to have the gravitas or accomplishments of Garneau. But, of course, that’s not what the Liberals want. What they want is someone to sweep them back to power; they’ll worry about what to do with it later.  That’s always been the case, though some of us hoped it was about to change.

National Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back