• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Logistic Vehicle Modernization Project - Replacing everything from LUVW to SHLVW

A good write-up on the Senator from the Canadian War Museum. Its gotta be the top contender at this point for LUV phase 2.

Is the write up similar to other vehicles in the collection? Even if it's on loan , its part of the collection.
 
How do these types of systems work? Are they piloted remotely from a ground station or is a route/grid programmed in and it self drives?
 
How do these types of systems work? Are they piloted remotely from a ground station or is a route/grid programmed in and it self drives?
Not sure of that one specifically.

Some are remote either wireless or tether. some ‘follow the leader’ based on some sort of signal “hands free” and other vary from pre-programmed route to pick it’s own path to Point B from the start line.
Some have a mix.

I know nothing about the reliability of any of the various options.
I’m always concerned for Mil use that lack of personnel will lead to issues with security and maintenance.
 
Bingo. It was a not very useful vehicle.

The old Chev 5/4 was one tough fuckin truck
When we switched over from the 3/4 tons to the 5/4 tons we thought the new trucks were wimpy pieces of shit, especially after getting stuck in sand dunes in Shilo. They were much more more comfortable and better on highways. Never did like the CP boxes on the back although the added height over the 3/4 TPU was nice.

It took us some time to warm up to them. I must admit, as BK I did trade my 1/4 ton M151 in for a 5/4 cargo when I went back to Shilo the second time.

🍻
 
When we switched over from the 3/4 tons to the 5/4 tons we thought the new trucks were wimpy pieces of shit, especially after getting stuck in sand dunes in Shilo. They were much more more comfortable and better on highways. Never did like the CP boxes on the back although the added height over the 3/4 TPU was nice.

It took us some time to warm up to them. I must admit, as BK I did trade my 1/4 ton M151 in for a 5/4 cargo when I went back to Shilo the second time.

🍻

The 3/4 tons seemed more adaptable to non-administrative roles than the 5/4s.


Armed . . .
1790300505251.png
On escort duty with the R22Regt. in downtown Montreal, Quebec during the October Crisis, 1970. (Montreal Gazette)

1790301644862.png
Seen fitted with a M1919 Browning machine gun on exercise with the Queen Own Rifles. (QOR Museum)

1790300816022.png


Not armed but still dangerous.
1790300899300.png
 
When we switched over from the 3/4 tons to the 5/4 tons we thought the new trucks were wimpy pieces of shit, especially after getting stuck in sand dunes in Shilo. They were much more more comfortable and better on highways. Never did like the CP boxes on the back although the added height over the 3/4 TPU was nice.

It took us some time to warm up to them. I must admit, as BK I did trade my 1/4 ton M151 in for a 5/4 cargo when I went back to Shilo the second time.

🍻
The Dodge 3/4 were very tough trucks. The 5/4 suffered front axle problems when first introduced. The comfort level inside was miles above the 3/4 tons.
 
Saw one of the new Silverado Milcots. Bog standard 3500 with a crew cab. Fucking massive truck though. No placards, cabover or static straps though. Going to have to be bought out of unit funds I guess.
 
The Dodge 3/4 were very tough trucks. The 5/4 suffered front axle problems when first introduced. The comfort level inside was miles above the 3/4 tons.
Our biggest problem in Shilo was sand. Shilo is very sandy and the trails are mostly just beaten down prairie grass. The big problem is whenever a trail went over a tiny bump the vehicles churned up and loosened the sand over time. Wheeled vehicles frequently had a problem with those little sand traps and the 5/4 especially was very susceptible to quickly digging itself in up to the axles on the up slopes. The 3/4 had been able to handle those much better.

🍻
 
Back
Top