• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Men's"/whatever "Christmas"/whatever Dinner (merged)

actually, when i got in.. i believe it was a Troop Christmas Dinner :) or something along thos lines. we had no Guests for our dinners, we usually allow guests afterwards though.

recoverygod said:
As a Jewish soldier i never did mind it being called the men's xmass dinner.  Because of the traditions, and the history behind it.  At times i was the one who decorated the christmass tree.  However it is a new age, and PC is the norm.  And in my view why to strict at times.  Let it stay as the Men's Christmass dinner.  :)
Tov hanaka. Shalom.

Personally, I've had enough of the PC bullshit. Some things should just be left alone to tradition. Some people will never be happy until they've change the world into their genderless, homogenized, white bread utopia. Some things just aren't meant to be changed.

The format was never a problem when it was the "Men's Christmas Dinner". As soon as people started fucking with the name, they started playing with the format, which until about five years ago has not changed since the dinner started eons ago. Leave it alone, before the whole meaning of this institution is gone the way of the PC dodo also.

Agreed!  What's next? The Navy has all but lost "Crossing the Line".  Don't really know any good old Air Force traditions. I for one certainly miss parading for the Men's Christmas Dinner, I haven't been to one in...um...10 years??  Welcome to the Air Force where they ask for volunteers.
Merry Christmas to All.

recceguy said:
As soon as people started ******* with the name, they started playing with the format,

This is what gets me the most. I have yet to meet a single "serving" female who beoched about this.

Not a one. That irritates me, people assuming that "we'd" be offended by the name.

Just like the UAVs and their re-designation...it's got to stop already!!

The Librarian said:
This is what gets me the most. I have yet to meet a single "serving" female who beoched about this. Not a one. That irritates me.

Not nearly as much as it irritates me to be referred to as an "infantryperson"  ;)

GO!!! said:
Not nearly as much as it irritates me to be referred to as an "infantryperson"  ;)

I know...why would anyone refer to you as anything with "person" in it? ;)

The Librarian said:
This is what gets me the most. I have yet to meet a single "serving" female who beoched about this.

Not a one. That irritates me, people assuming that "we'd" be offended by the name.

Just like the UAVs and their re-designation...it's got to stop already!!

No? What about this one then?

Quote from SamIAm
I see your point and agree that it should be a members only event.  After all, what would my husband do... probably nag and tell me to stop making an arse of myself! 

I believe in the tradition.  There are times and places for events with spouses and those without. 

However, I see no reason for not applying a more accurate name.  Whether you like it or not, the use of the title 'men's' is dated and less than accurate.  I find nothing wrong that with the use of the word 'soldier's'.

I missed that post....and "I strenuously object!!"

Traditions are just that. I have no problem with the name "Men's Christmas Dinner." Think Ortona. That's what it's all about. It's about my troops, not about their sex.

For the sake of arguement (and the soon to follow comments to my post  ;D) is it REALLY that big of a deal if some units opt for Soldiers vice Men's in the title?

I agree with keeping the dinner "for the troops" and the follow-on party or a seperate bash that involves family members and S/O's...but...

Meh.  I had guy's and gal's in my last troop...all were good troops for the most part...but not all were men...and..believe me...I hate the PC stuff too...I am just not convinced that "Soldier's" is that PC I guess.  I wasn't upset with it...I guess the best part is we are all there to do what we should be doing there (serving or enjoying and causing a commotion  ;D).

As long as the tradition of the "why" is alive...does the name really matter?

~pops smoke, withdraws thru the low ground~

Mud Recce Man said:
Well yes I think it does. If you take out the "Men's" then you really should remove the "Christmas."

So if the name doesn't really matter as you've implied above, then why mess with it? Let the tradition stand.

Just mess with the Yule Logs instead!!

Mud Recce Man said:
For the sake of arguement (and the soon to follow comments to my post  ;D) is it REALLY that big of a deal if some units opt for Soldiers vice Men's in the title?

I agree with keeping the dinner "for the troops" and the follow-on party or a seperate bash that involves family members and S/O's...but...

Meh.  I had guy's and gal's in my last troop...all were good troops for the most part...but not all were men...and..believe me...I hate the PC stuff too...I am just not convinced that "Soldier's" is that PC I guess.  I wasn't upset with it...I guess the best part is we are all there to do what we should be doing there (serving or enjoying and causing a commotion  ;D).

~pops smoke, withdraws thru the low ground~

OK. Go back and read my post again, slower. The part where once you change the name, the format starts to change, and it has. It has been all to prevalent in this thread to see the slope it's sliding down. I've also seen it at various units. There is absolutely no need to change it.

The Librarian said:
Well yes I think it does. If you take out the "Men's" then you really should remove the "Christmas."

So if the name doesn't really matter as you've implied above, then why mess with it? Let the tradition stand.

Just mess with the Yule Logs instead!!

Exactly. Take away "Men's Christmas", you have dinner. Sorry, but just having "Dinner" doesn't excite me, and is not enough for even my young guys to appear. I can, and have, bought them beer to say thanks. We don't need to go to "dinner". Anything else, except The Men's Christmas Dinner, just doesn't cut it.

K.

I am not saying the name doesn't matter...so I guess I should have worded it "more better".

Some units are happy with "Men's"...some units are happy with "Soldiers".

I dunno.  Same as my "old style" Principles of Leadership" card in my wallet.  If it said "Know your soldiers and promote their welfare...."

I guess...I am sayin' IMHO if changin' the name from Men's to Soldier's is the ONLY change...mmm'kay thats fine?

Leave the rest as it is.  That's all.  

Yeah, OK. Good luck with that. Let us know where you are in five years with it.

recceguy said:
OK. Go back and read my post again, slower. The part where once you change the name, the format starts to change, and it has. It has been all to prevalent in this thread to see the slope it's sliding down. I've also seen it at various units. There is absolutely no need to change it.

Done.

I hear you RecceGuy...give an inch, take a mile?  Oui?  I am saying I can live with the Soldier's vice Men's...not the change of anything else.  I can't comment on the "ya and THEN we could change THIS and THAT" types at the units that would/have go beyond that.  Myabe I am dreamin' but...I would like to believe that the RSM would scowl and swear and they would drop it and move on.   ;D

So.  In summary.

Mens/Soldiers Dinner?  I am ok with that.

Any change of WHO should attend, and modifications beyond that?  Thumbs down.  Its for the troops.  Always was.  Always should be.  

I have no idea how to stop the units from going beyond the change of Men's to Soldiers but as I sit here...public canings and things like that are effective deterents.   ;D

I did like the fact that IIRC GO!!! said the dinner has to held in his unit lines vice the Mess Hall.  Must be a gooder!  Keep em that way.

Well,

As a female supervisor who quite frequently serves the troops at the "Men's Christmas Dinner," my troops, who being the trade that I am, are usually overwhelmingly female, I say let it stand as it is. They don't have a problem with the name, and neither do I.

There's also some serving personnel of other religions who've already stated in this thread that they don't have a problem with the term "Christmas" being used either.

What is the origin of the tradition of Officers serving Other Ranks Christmas dinner?

Heard from a reliable source today that the Comd LFCA has directed/will direct the cancellation of the Men's Christmas Dinner for Reserve units this year as a cost cutting measure.

Can anyone shed some light on this???

Back