• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Men's"/whatever "Christmas"/whatever Dinner (merged)

I hope that isn't true.  It's a great tradition that should be kept alive.

When I was a reservist, it was always scheduled on a training Saturday.  Therefore, the Full Day pay was already in the budget.  If that is the case with other units, all they would have to work out was the cost of the meal and beverages which, with the work of a good senior cook, could be worked around what is already allocated for a typical lunch on a training day.

You mean the Soldier's Christmas Dinner, vice the Men's Christmas Dinner.

Generation Y understanding of tradition: done twice.
Generation Y understanding of a great tradition: haven't we done this before?

Rifleman62 said:
You mean the Soldier's Christmas Dinner, vice the Men's Christmas Dinner.
I don't want to insult any female soldiers but I have never heard it called "The Soldier's Christmas Dinner" always heard it called the Men's.  If you were to call it the Soldier's it might be thought that you were excluding the Navy and Air Force.

dangerboy said:
I don't want to insult any female soldiers but I have never heard it called "The Soldier's Christmas Dinner" always heard it called the Men's.  If you were to call it the Soldier's it might be thought that you were excluding the Navy and Air Force.

Which is why I've seen it referred to as the "Junior Ranks Christmas Dinner" in operations orders for as long as I remember.

We have this same discussion, about the name, every year around this time.

Since the orginal post was refering to the Army ..............

I have seen it referred to the Junior Ranks Christmas Dinner on Air Force bases. No idea what the Navy call it, "Sailor's"???

My point is that it should not be called "Men's" in Army units. If we have this diiscussion every year, why?

CTC HQ refers to it as "Soldier Appreciation Dinner".  I am sure there are untits that call it a Mens Dinner and I doubt many would complain at the title of a meal held as a long standing Tradition.  I hope people here can drop the semantics of what the dinner is called, the topic was that the dinner was cancelled and that would be a shame.

Come now fellas, everyone knows it's the "Soldier's Festive Meal."  Where are your PC manner's?

Anyone's Grunt said:
Come now fellas, everyone knows it's the "Soldier's Festive Meal."  Where are your PC manner's?

Well that's a little better but I would still prefer the "Soldier's Festive Sit Down For Some Food and Some Free Beers" although there could be some that prefer to stand and move around as they eat I guess.

I would think that if push comes to shove, and LFCA needs to cut money somewhere, it is possible this dinner could be canceled.

However, I would also suggest that regiments might tend to cut class A days somewhere else in lieu of an event such as this. Seeing the importance evenings such as these are in maintaining moral.

As of last Friday 32 CER had their Christmas dinner scheduled for Dec.18th. Of course that may have since changed.

Is the x-mas dinner cancelled?  Will the CF be cutting 45% of all class Bs?  Will we be in afghanistan after 2011?

Most of this is rumour until confirmed.  The LFCA commander had  a town hall recently and frankly it wasn't very inspiring.  Lots of cuts, 200-300 class B positions being cut, class A days being cut, training being cut, no recruiting growth, oh and somehow LFCA has to cough up 600 reservists for OP cadence.  Reg force is apparently going to be facing some dilemas but he couldn't comment on those until they became public.  But he's still happy with how great things are  ::)

Nothing was mentioned about the men's/soldiers/jrs x-mas dinners...but I'm sure there will be announcements in the next couple of weeks.

the fact is that we are in a period of fiscal restraint and anything is possible.

CountDC said:
Does anyone else feel like they are on a merry-go-round??

Note to all members - Beatings will continue until morale improves.  ;)

recceguy said:
We have this same discussion, about the name, every year around this time.

Yep, and every year all us women who "they don't want to offend" chime in with a "WTF did they have to switch the name of this tradition?"

Nothing that I love better than the thought that some man decided that I would be offended to attend a Men's Christmas Dinner.  ::)

That's why I stopped being a male chauvinist pig. I heard you chicks hate that stuff.

Kat Stevens said:
That's why I stopped being a male chauvinist pig. I heard you chicks hate that stuff.

Especially we red-headed babes.  ;)

Back