• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Met Tech Info?

So sorry, I am logged in with my Husband's name....this is  "pavillion's" wife (nurse-not military). So for me where could I get this info...lol

On Monday when I get back to my office I'll post a DIN link to the school's page. It has all the manuals used in .pdf format. I have to warn you though, the manuals aren't very user friendly so don't be supprised if you end up very confused and frustrated.

The link as promised:

http://airforce.mil.ca/wings/17wing/cfsmet/manuals.htm

As for what chapters to focus on, I'd recomend A to G, the stuff after is covered in the second phase of the course.

Thanks a ton weatherdog.  I ended up getting those manuals from the MWO at the school.  But appriciate the link!

One more question though.. lol
After my BOQ how much time is there between that and gagetown?  I am curious as I own a house and will be taking it as a posting.  Just want to get everything sorted out so im not panicking.

Thanks again!!!

Hey! I'm a Met Tech, if anyone's got any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them...

No, we are not on ships all the time, usually just posted to a ship for a couple of years, like any other posting. We are an airforce trade, however, we do work with and for all three, all over Canada. And shifts vary from base to base though we almost always work shiftwork. Any other q's?

I searched 3 times,couldn't find anything relevant.

I'm looking for some information,as well as anyone here currently a MET Tech to discuss some things Via PM afterwords.

-What type of computer programs do you use most on a day to day basis?
-What is entailed in Encoding weather data?(general)
-Giving wing/unit briefs is usually at what rank level?
-Chances of a posting To Terreneuve/Labrador?Is there positions.(and yes I understand the military posting you where ever.I'm a 6A qual guy in another trade.just wondering if it is possible)
-How much is math and physics used on a daily basis?
-Responsibilities of a TQ3 qualified Cpl.(site says working alone which is kinda vague)
-Any courses(toll painting ;D but seriously computer courses etc) that you would see having a use in the trade;and it's application.I will be OTing COTP and wish to take a bit of my downtime to take a course or two. To overall improve my chances.

I had once tried OTing to this trade a couple years ago...to find out the med tech that enrolled me put a wrong number in the wrong box and suddenly I was colour blind.I am now NOT colour blind (surprise) and able to OT.

Any help would be great.

I'll do my best to answer any questions you have.

-We use the Met Manager software mostly, but a good basic knowledge of Power Point is always good. Many briefings are done in that format.

-Ecoding weather is simply taking all the weather information you observe (Temperature, cloud type, height, and amount, etc...) and putting it in a standart Met format for transmission.

-Briefings have been lowered to the Pte/Cpl level so on the QL3 you will learn briefing.

-As far as I know there are no Met postings to NL, they closed back in the 90s along with Gods country (PEI)

-The only math done is basic, and we have calculators to do it. Physics is good, but only for the theoretical concepts, equations aren't used on any sort of regular basis. Understanding that things expand when heated and condense when cooled is likely the most important thing to know.

-As a new Tech you will be required to be able to work on you own on shifts and deal with problems when they arise. That part of the trade is changing now with a new unit being stood up. Expect to spend the first year in Gagetown working closely with a more senior Tech doing observing and briefing.

-I'm sure that taking any computer course will be useful, but I really can't help with any specific suggestions.

I hope that helps, if you have anything else fire off a PM.

Just a quick question, but here's a brief about myself.

Full time reserve RMS Clerk (navy) for last three years, current contract ends in the summertime.  I was looking to sign my soul away via an OT to the Reg Force and keep glancing at Met Tech.  Any word on if Met Tech the trade is currently open?

Quick edit: This was a post outside of work.  Just a Sunday thought really.  I know I should check my work resources during my lunch break during the work week which I will. 

I was told today that there is up to a 2 year wait time for Met tech.  This is because of people held up in the training system, supposedly.  I do not have official word though but that is the scuttlebutt. 

newmet said:
I was told today that there is up to a 2 year wait time for Met tech.  This is because of people held up in the training system, supposedly.  I do not have official word though but that is the scuttlebutt.

Wow, although what you say is unofficial, anyone knows how the official word works at times.  I checked for MET position openings/vacant positions and there was a substantial number.  I had blind hopes for a moment.  But the training system is something I don't have access to...

I don't have access to all the possible information, but I do happen to know that for the next couple of years the school will be running two courses per year. With about 10-12 new people per course the wait may not be that bad. I also know that some of the people taking a very long time to get trained are people that require English training before they can come on course.

I have been reading the met tech notes, there aren't many out there to read, i guess its not that common. I was chosen for a spot on the met tech course this coming summer. But there is little info on when I start. My recruiting officer thought I would start April 10 2010 for basic, then go to Met tech school in winni, mt. However now he is saying it might be later. Does anyone have a heads up of how much later that will be? I put two and two together that Met tech school starts in august and january, any confirmations or corrections for that one? Also heard it was 15 weeks, is that still the same? And one last thing, I read that I can expect my first year to be in gagetwon which is good, my brother is a pioneer in the army there, but is that just the first year, and then we get promoted to cpl, and his the seas? What is the most common first long term posting? long term being 3+ yrs, I was getting the idea it would Shearwater NS, any confirmations or corrections on that one? Any Info would be stellar!

azgoodazitgetz said:
What is the most common first long term posting? long term being 3+ yrs, I was getting the idea it would Shearwater NS, any confirmations or corrections on that one? Any Info would be stellar!

Don't expect to see Shearwater unless you're a Sgt, or you have a service spouse posted to the Hfx area.  Lots of Cpl Met Techs in Halifax, though, both ashore and 1 per major warship.

George Wallace.
Sorry My bad, I was trying to say Winnipeg Manitoba. Sorry for the confusion.

Any ideas of when Met Tech course starts this year? Is it August and January?

Hello Met Techs. I was wondering if Met Tech course starts every October and January, and how long was it in total including any time off given. I am planning a wedding for after my course is done and I have to book my church a year in advance. Any info would be great. Thank You.

Jen

The Next Met BOQ starts at the end of June, and the one following that will start in January of 2011.
azgoodazitgetz said:
I read that I can expect my first year to be in gagetwon which is good, my brother is a pioneer in the army there, but is that just the first year, and then we get promoted to cpl, and his the seas? What is the most common first long term posting? long term being 3+ yrs, I was getting the idea it would Shearwater NS, any confirmations or corrections on that one? Any Info would be stellar!

First I would like to point out that getting to Cpl takes on average 4 years, some people get accelerated sooner but not many. The next posting could be almost anywhere, the system is fairly new so there isn't really a set pattern yet. Don't expect to have a lot of long term postings, so far none of my postings has lasted more than 2 1/2 years. Shearwater isn't outside the realm of possibility under the new system since the observing positions will be downgraded to Pte/Cpl very soon, but having said that don't expect to get posted where you want. The military will send you where they need you most.

WeatherdoG said:
Shearwater isn't outside the realm of possibility under the new system since the observing positions will be downgraded to Pte/Cpl very soon

That's the official line.  The unofficial line is "Shearwater is a highly sought after retirement posting for Met Tech Sgts, and unless you have a darn good reason to get posted there as another rank, look forward to a posting to Halifax".

;D

Back