• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

Kat Stevens said:

Bravo! Once upon a time I did a freefall course and they loaded Dr. Who and all his gorgeous little Who-babes on for one 'Hollywood' jump. I've never been so happy to be in a crowded small aircraft in my life.

Sorry Gentlemen but still no pix worth posting. Would somebody else please carry on

Thanks,

tango22a

It looks like suspension and running gear is from M109. I suspect it is of American origin but don't have a clue what it is.

Cheers

tango22a

It looks like the convergence of LARC V (US) with the PTS-M (Soviet).  I seem to recall something of Russian or Chinese origin with this look, but following that trail has not brought me anything. 

tango22a said:
It looks like suspension and running gear is from M109. I suspect it is of American origin but don't have a clue what it is.
The suspension uses components of the M113 running gear but modified.  Some parts may be of American origin but the vehicle design/manufacture is not.
Hmm.. something based on the Amtrac FOV?
No.
. . . Russian or Chinese origin . . .
No.

Some more views.

Based on the tropical local in the photos I started to search by country name and lo&behold...

GKN Aquatrack – Not procurred by the Philippine Marines but by the Civil Defense office of the Department of Defense. The only two vehicles sold by the British company GKN are operated by the Marines due to their experience with Amphibious vehicles like the LVT and the LARC.

Being unarmored it serves well as amphibious logistics vehicle with good sea keeping qualities. It is said that the drive train and suspension used in the Aquatrack were derived from their experience with the US MLRS system vehicle that is in use in the British Army.

Primarily used for rescue and disaster recovery operations in the flood prone plains of Luzon that were aggravated by the "lahar" flow of the explosion of the Mt. Pinatubo volcano. The Aquatrack is equipped with a stern ramp similar to the WW2 amtracks, but also has a propeller for increased speed in the water. It is also equipped for navigation at sea.

BernDawg said:
GKN Aquatrack  . . .
You got it!

http://www.janes.com/extracts/extract/jmvl/jmvl0845.html
Aquatrack tracked 8,000 kg amphibious vehicle (United Kingdom)

Description
The Aquatrack tracked 8,000 kg amphibious vehicle was developed by GKN Defence (later Alvis Vickers Limited, now BAE Systems Land Systems) to provide a vehicle capable of carrying up to 8,000 kg of payload or 40 seated personnel in a fully amphibious environment and over a wide variety of terrain. Power is provided by a single diesel engine driving twin variable-pitch propellers in Kort nozzles. Twin rudders assist in allowing the vehicle to manoeuvre and operate fully laden in Sea State 5 at water speeds up to 13 km/h. The vehicle can operate in up to 3.05 m of plunging surf. The Aquatrack nickel chrome steel hull incorporates five separate watertight compartments and has a low centre of gravity. The driver's cab is set well forward just behind the bow with seating for the driver, a deck-master and two passengers. An open load area behind the cab, with a non-slip deck and multiple lashing points, can carry vehicles the size of a Land Rover. The 'proven' suspension uses M113 running gear. Only two examples of the Aquatrack were sold. These were to the Civil Defense Office of the Department of Defense, Philippines. They are operated by the Philippine Marines.

Status
Production complete, no longer marketed. In service in the Philippines (2).

Cheers but someone else can put up a pic cause I haven't anything handy right now.

As for the Janes thing I haven't had a problem but remember we are only subscribed to certain portions of their web-site and if you try to log-on through the wrong portal you'll get the no current subscription message.
All of the username and password are lower case as well.
Good Luck.
Bern

NFLD Sapper said:
Side bar, anyone have problems using the supplied DND logon info on Janes?
From the DIN, not a problem.... from home.... NOT

I hope no one minds if I jump in and add a photo in this most excellent thread.

Not sure how challenging this will be, but what the hey!

Rodders said:
I hope no one minds if I jump in and add a photo in this most excellent thread.

Not sure how challenging this will be, but what the hey!

Otokar APC from turkey built on modified land rover defender chassis by otokar otobus karoseri sanayi AS

(i finally found my Jane's guide  ;D but i knew this thing right away any way)

CEEBEE501 said:
Otokar APC from turkey built on modified land rover defender chassis by otokar otobus karoseri sanayi AS

(i finally found my Jane's guide  ;D but i knew this thing right away any way)

Hmm. Guess it was a pretty feeble attempt after all.  :)

Back