• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Improved Clothing and Equipment (NICE) Project

Wouldn't firefighters want a uniform that would stand out....much like SAR Techs?

We were saying pretty much the same thing. Somebody in the PMQs calls for help and a bunch of guys in cadpat show up, may confuse people. However on base 90% of the time we are in turn out gear (stands out pretty well). Their thought is more for deployed ops it would give us the protection of nomex without standing out in blue coveralls.

ff149 said:
We were saying pretty much the same thing. Somebody in the PMQs calls for help and a bunch of guys in cadpat show up, may confuse people. However on base 90% of the time we are in turn out gear (stands out pretty well). Their thought is more for deployed ops it would give us the protection of nomex without standing out in blue coveralls.

I thought that the big trucks with their disco lights and noise making thing-a-ma-jigs would be a give away that it was the Fire Department :p

I have seen the new NCDs and around here everyone likes them.  There are some minor changes to be done due to recommendations from ship pers but overall they were given a pass mark by the ship pers. As with all things you will always have those that complain.  Most of the complaints I have ever heard about the current NCDs have been due to the shoddy workmanship on the shirts (the seams do not hold), the "balloon" shirt (must have been designed with an old time chief in mind - lots of room for the belly), and button pockets on the pants (does anyone actually still have the buttons??). I am sure that there will be complaints about the new ones too - my guess is the first will be the zippered jacket pocket vice the current snap - the snaps were much easier to open!! (the answer: the new pockets don't have a flap - the zipper is there as an option and does not have to be closed.)

CountDC said:
(the answer: the new pockets don't have a flap - the zipper is there as an option and does not have to be closed.)

I have seen naval personnel salivate when they see someone in a flight suit, why do you ask?

Zippers...  They seem to get "hard" looking for that rogue zipper...  I suspect that zipper on the pocket will have to be closed all the time.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I have seen naval personnel salivate when they see someone in a flight suit, why do you ask?

Zippers...  They seem to get "hard" looking for that rogue zipper...  I suspect that zipper on the pocket will have to be closed all the time.

According to the command chiefs office the zipper will not have to be closed all the time so until they change their tune I will stick with that. 

medicineman said:
Matt - I bow to your expertise.  I did know the corpsmen were allowed to wear  the Marine combat uniforms - I didn't know about the service dress though.  Gunnies don't like Squids on their parades anymore than Army RSM's don't like Air Force or Navy guys on parade for their Troopings I guess?  Would certainly make them feel at home with the troops they support - though I'm sure there is some Navy Chief somewhere having a spinout over it.

Navy Corpsmen have had the option of wearing Marine Corps service dress for some time now (I'm thinking back to at Vietnam/Korea era...maybe WW2?) so it's more of a tradition for those attached to the FMF, however it is still up to the unit's decision to enforce dress regs and the decision of the individual to wear that uniform or not.

There are indeed probably some Chiefs out there that hate this, however there are also probably quite a few Chiefs from the 'Gator Navy' who'd prefer to maintain their Marine Corps affiliations as a source of pride and distinction.

and from above:

• The Minister has granted expenditure authority for the Naval Improved Clothing and Equipment (NICE) seaboot, the first project of a series of NICE projects that will provide a holistic skin-to-outer naval operational clothing ensemble for all geographical and environmental conditions.  The project will expand the scale of issue of the NICE seaboot to incorporate all shore-based naval personnel in non-seagoing positions.  This project will be “fast-tracked” through the clothing contract administered by Logistiks Unicorp, with expected issues to shore personnel beginning this fall.

Dimsum said:
How about coveralls?  The RAN uses them, as well as boarding party and submariners.  As well, the Air Det uses them as well.

Though I have no problem with the current NCD's (in fact I like them and the way they look), it looks like in addition to the USN, the RAN is also moving towards a 'camou' type uniform.  Not saying that the Canadian Navy should be copying other navies but its interesting to see what other navy's are doing around the world.

New NCD in picture !!

... :-\

http://www.forces.gc.ca./admmat/nice-ehma/itemsclothing-articleshabillement-eng.asp

ncd_1.jpg

hmmm, i didn't think i'd say this but I think the camou type style is kinda growing on me.  The new NCD's in the posted picture actually kinda look sloppy IMO especially with no crease in the pants...

Privateer said:
That Navy / Marine name tape is unfortunate.

I second that emotion. Other than that, overall I don't think it's too bad. Slightly lumpy, but that's hardly much of a change from the current ones. But that name tag... ugh.

Thanks for posting the photo.

From what I can see it looks like an improvement. Jacket has a more modern look and the trousers don't look so baggy and sloppy. They don't appear to have those ridiculous pleats last seen on pants in the 80s.

Give us another decade and I predict we'll see our own grey cadpat, years after the US and Aussies.

I am starting to become a fan of the navy cammo patterns as well.  One thing is for sure, after being in the army 14 years then moving to the navy, I absolutely HATE NCDs...  As others have mentioned they do look extremely sloppy and in my own humble opinion, are worn sloppy by way too many.  The new NCD pic looks very similar - not impressive at all.  I have always been a firm beleiver that something as trivial as optics always plays an important role in military life.  Looking like a bag of slop is just bad form.  Though I still maintain the navy has the best looking DEUs.  Maybe there is a conspiracy to make us look bad in work dress to make up for our extreme sexiness in DEUs  ;D

The navy needs those super cool name tapes to distinguish itself from the security guards at the mall.

I have to say I was against any type of cadpat for the navy, but now I am all for it.  The new design is almost identical to the old one except for sewn in creases, new pockets, and velcro for the Canadian flag, but no velrco for name tapes, specialty badges or the ships crest.

It still looks sloppy.

My first thought looking at the pic posted was how the white stitching on the boots make them look like some sort of bowling shoes.

maybe it is the model .......or the cap badge.  ;D

Looked better on the chief here.

Back