• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New CT process

Sent in the paper work and started my clearout process from my Reserve Unit. Next week I finish my outcleareance and my papers will be faxed to Ottawa.
Any clue on how long I will get my notice of succesful transfer?

Thanks all. :D

Month 7 of waiting. Res Sig Op to Reg Comms Research. I submitted the paperwork in Afghanistan. I am profoundly offended by the idea that a civilian off the street could easily have signed up and joined and gone into the trade of his/her choice while a dedicated serving member who has adequate security clearance, PLQ, a combat tour, relevant post secondary education, etc, etc, has to sit around and wait and wait and wait. I was under the impression that the whole process had sped up, especially for members applying from an active theatre of war.

I'm venting, I don't want to read replies from apologists. If you have an educated idea of why I'm in this bind I would be more than happy to read it.

GDawg said:
Month 7 of waiting. Res Sig Op to Reg Comms Research. I submitted the paperwork in Afghanistan. I am profoundly offended by the idea that a civilian off the street could easily have signed up and joined and gone into the trade of his/her choice while a dedicated serving member who has adequate security clearance, PLQ, a combat tour, relevant post secondary education, etc, etc, has to sit around and wait and wait and wait. I was under the impression that the whole process had sped up, especially for members applying from an active theatre of war.

I'm venting, I don't want to read replies from apologists. If you have an educated idea of why I'm in this bind I would be more than happy to read it.

Two issues spring to mind:

Post tour you're not supposed to be moved for 12 months. If you're not already in Kingston, since you will require training af CFSCE, that may incur some delay.

Second, there are a limited number of Comm Rsch QL3 serials run every year.  Not knowing your exact return date nor leave entitlement on return from tour (you could not have begun a course while still on leave - it's an entitlement), there have been only one or two serials available.  I have no visibility on whether they were fully loaded or not - though from what I know of production they were likely overloaded.

Pers coming off the street would have had even greater difficulty in getting into that trade due to the security clearance required.  The accellerated process was designed for pers who remain in trade and are immediately employable in trade; in your case, you will bypass St Jean, but will require DP1 training before you are employable.

Follow up on your application, and get on to the DIN and look for the National Course Calendar (under the CTC Gagetown site) to get an idea of when the next serials will be offered.

I'm with you GDawg. I'm on month 4, still haven't heard much just an e-mail telling me to make sure my MPRR was up to date. Goind Res MESO to Reg AVN.

For the course thing for Comms Research, I am here in esquimalt quith a lot of them all awaiting their clearance because the trade actually requires SA clearance. Some of these guys have been in the forces for 2 years now...

Good luck to you
Klink

Lazarus** said:
Sent in the paper work and started my clearout process from my Reserve Unit. Next week I finish my outcleareance and my papers will be faxed to Ottawa.
Any clue on how long I will get my notice of succesful transfer?

Thanks all. :D

Why would you initiate a CT, and the clear from your unit?  Jumping the gun a bit there buds, all I can see you having done, is slow your CT right down, because you would now be re-enrolling vice transfering components.

I have 2 weeks until I transfer, and I'm just starting my out clearance now. DMCA will hold your hand through the process, once you've accepted your offer, so you've really jumped the gun Lazarus.

dapaterson said:
Two issues spring to mind:

Post tour you're not supposed to be moved for 12 months. If you're not already in Kingston, since you will require training af CFSCE, that may incur some delay.

Second, there are a limited number of Comm Rsch QL3 serials run every year.  Not knowing your exact return date nor leave entitlement on return from tour (you could not have begun a course while still on leave - it's an entitlement), there have been only one or two serials available.  I have no visibility on whether they were fully loaded or not - though from what I know of production they were likely overloaded.

Pers coming off the street would have had even greater difficulty in getting into that trade due to the security clearance required.  The accellerated process was designed for pers who remain in trade and are immediately employable in trade; in your case, you will bypass St Jean, but will require DP1 training before you are employable.

Follow up on your application, and get on to the DIN and look for the National Course Calendar (under the CTC Gagetown site) to get an idea of when the next serials will be offered.

I'm a reservist so I was under the impression that once I came back to Canada the CF didn't give a rats ass where I lived.

Is DP1 newspeak for QL3?

I do have info on up coming QL3 course dates, though that info is over a month old. I have my Level III security clearance.

My anger is directed at the fact that the CF publicly bitches and moans about recruiting and retention while at the same time their are hundreds, if not thousands of pers who are more than happy to continue serving in the CF, but wish to do so in different trades. Why not accommodate them, it saves the Queen money, keeps the troops happy, and retains/spreads interdisciplinary experience and leadership within the collective CF braintrust.

GDawg said:
My anger is directed at the fact that the CF publicly bitches and moans about recruiting and retention while at the same time their are hundreds, if not thousands of pers who are more than happy to continue serving in the CF, but wish to do so in different trades. Why not accommodate them, it saves the Queen money, keeps the troops happy, and retains/spreads interdisciplinary experience and leadership within the collective CF braintrust.

The CF still has to look out for its best interests, especially if they overload a trade that takes a long time to train people in like 291. They'll end up with a pool of Cpls who can't get promoted because there's no room above them, and will just release pissed off with the whole process.

DP1 is the new term for QL3.

You are switching trades, so the process is significantly longer. DMCA 5-5 can do all the paperwork and does so relatively quickly, but when you start outsourcing to other agencies, especially the overworked CFRG, things take a long time. Your clearance shouldn't be an issue, with a level III they can process you fairly quickly to SA especially if your file is recent. Took approx. 2 months for my SA from the time I filled out the sheet to the time the SMP clerk indoc'd me. Have you been in contact with a case manager at DMCA? I would get on board with the person that last contacted you from there, and find out where the process is. The WO I dealt with was very quick at responding to emails and didn't BS me about timeframes.

PuckChaser said:
The CF still has to look out for its best interests, especially if they overload a trade that takes a long time to train people in like 291. They'll end up with a pool of Cpls who can't get promoted because there's no room above them, and will just release pissed off with the whole process.

DP1 is the new term for QL3.

You are switching trades, so the process is significantly longer. DMCA 5-5 can do all the paperwork and does so relatively quickly, but when you start outsourcing to other agencies, especially the overworked CFRG, things take a long time. Your clearance shouldn't be an issue, with a level III they can process you fairly quickly to SA especially if your file is recent. Took approx. 2 months for my SA from the time I filled out the sheet to the time the SMP clerk indoc'd me. Have you been in contact with a case manager at DMCA? I would get on board with the person that last contacted you from there, and find out where the process is. The WO I dealt with was very quick at responding to emails and didn't BS me about timeframes.

From what I know it isn't an overloaded trade. If it is they should have mentioned as such. Feedback is simple and easy to provide.
No excuses, I absolutely refuse to accept "bureaucracy" as a reason.
I met the branch chief a while back and he wasn't impressed with how long this is taking. I'm not getting any prompt responses either from the local CFRC (interview, etc) or the DMCA guy. I've gotten nothing but the shaft since I got back from tour.

I am on your side there GDawg. Maybe a monthly update from the DMCA guy would be very helpful, I have been in the dark for months now and the last time I inquired after 2 months I got a response telling me that there are other transfers that time more time to do and he would get to mine eventually.

Klinkaroo said:
I am on your side there GDawg. Maybe a monthly update from the DMCA guy would be very helpful, I have been in the dark for months now and the last time I inquired after 2 months I got a response telling me that there are other transfers that time more time to do and he would get to mine eventually.

The ball appears to be rolling again. I've got an interview next week. Like I mentioned, I had the brilliant stroke of luck to meet my Branch Chief and he was appalled by the sloth-like movement of my file and he gave me a contact who appears to have administered a bit of ex-lax to the system.

GDawg said:
The ball appears to be rolling again. I've got an interview next week. Like I mentioned, I had the brilliant stroke of luck to meet my Branch Chief and he was appalled by the sloth-like movement of my file and he gave me a contact who appears to have administered a bit of ex-lax to the system.

Unfortunately its all who you talk to or know sometimes in the military. Congrats on getting the ball rolling, hopefully things will keep moving for you.

I was thinking of sending an e-mail to my file manager in ottawa again. Do you think that would be ok? I haven't heard I peep for 3-4 months now, still haven't had an interview or anything.

Klinkaroo said:
I was thinking of sending an e-mail to my file manager in ottawa again. Do you think that would be ok? I haven't heard I peep for 3-4 months now, still haven't had an interview or anything.

I probably would send an e-mail. I suspect the CoC of your home unit isn't in a position to apply leverage on your behalf. If there is someone in the know please chip in...

Wow, administrative Ex-Lax works!

Last week I called CFRC Edmonton for an interview, they had me in yesterday (put me up in a hotel) and I got a contract offer today! This has been the first time in my military career that complaining actually paid off!

Gotta know when to push buttons sometimes, and this was one of those times! Congrats.

Just an FYI, I am going through the same process right now.  I am doing a CT from reserve to reg force and its an MOC swap as well.  I first submitted my request in January of 08.  It is now Feb 09 and I am still waiting.  From what I gather, they only have 4 people in the DMCA 5-5 shop and they have vitually thousands of CT apps to go through so it takes a while.  I got to a point in the fall where I was about to lose my marbles and I sent an email to one of the Cpls there insisting a responce and an update with tangible and detailed information.  I got a BS responce and I insisted on speaking to someone higher.  Later that day I received a phone call from an officer and I expressed my intence frustration and he was extremely accomodating.  One hour later a file manager contacted me and everything has been amazing since.  Virtually no work was done for 9 months until I kicked up a fuss.  Since then, I have had an interview done, PLAR results writing off BOTP and CAP and most importantly the phone number of my file manager.  The file manager is amazing and has spent large amounts of time answering countless questions for me and things are rolling.  The only delay I am faced with now is that my trade is closed until April.

Based on my experience, I recomend a few things.  If you have been waiting far too long, make a complaint in a professional manner.  They are responsive.  Once you do get a file manager, get his phone number.  Emails dont cut it folks.  They are too easy to ignore.  I am a firm beleiver in a phone call and some personal rapport.  It makes all the difference in the world.

I was just curious to know, is the file manager a CWO/CPO1? I got contact from one of them there, do you think he is the one handling my file now?

Back