• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCN to introduce new Conduct Policy and new Alcohol Policy

FSTO said:
Does our leadership not realize that if you treat your people like children they will act like children? The funniest thing about all this is that the ones in position to make these calls were the hardest runners ashore when they were subbies and jr Lieutenants.

You don't see many flag officers who are not yes men for the beaucrats.

mariomike said:
RCN to introduce new Conduct Policy and new Alcohol Policy 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/117268.25
8 pages.

Attachments

• IMG_0393.PNG
    IMG_0393.PNG
    28.9 KB · Views: 204
Humphrey Bogart said:
An increase in the other two to compensate for the lack of one  :rofl:

This is why we have briefings. :alarm:

FSTO said:
Does our leadership not realize that if you treat your people like children they will act like children? The funniest thing about all this is that the ones in position to make these calls were the hardest runners ashore when they were subbies and jr Lieutenants.

:goodpost:

.....and I have seen this start way back in the '80's.  Treated like children and they started to act like children. 

Even saw the hypocrisy of one BGen (Armour type)who became the Multi-national Contingent Comd in Bosnia enforce the same rules that he enforced in Petawawa, state to the Press that he  did not mind a glass of wine with his meal.....all the while restricting the troops.

gryphonv said:
You don't see many flag officers who are not yes men for the beaucrats.

You obviously don't know too many flag officers...

gryphonv said:
A recent fleet week a buddy of mine was on. They were told they were not allowed to drink in uniform while in New York.

Times have changed

What in the actual f&^k.

We were not allowed off the ship at all unless we were in uniform, and the instruction was 'Have fun, stay safe and look after your wingers and shipmates'.  We did all three, and that was only about five years ago.  The last day they finally relaxed the policy and let people leave the ship in civvies because there were about 80 people with mangled heels from the punishment of the white goblin shoes.  What is the point of going to fleet week if you are going to put rules like that in place?  The entire point is going to a  big city in the states, going out in uniform and seeing all the sights.  Its an amazing experience, and you skip all the big lines like the empire states building (four hours worth!) but I'd like to think you can at least enjoy a drink with a meal.  That is even more restrictive than what we had while on port visits while IN THEATRE (at friendly ports) where it was two drinks max.  But you know, HIGH READINESS DEPLOYED SHIP so that was reasonable for when you were off duty.

That's too bad.  Fleet Week was one of my all time favorite things I have done with the RCN. 

Nothing like crossing the brow at 4am with only your white pants on to show the duty watch you had a good night lol

Halifax Tar said:
That's too bad.  Fleet Week was one of my all favorite things I have done with the RCN. 

Nothing like crossing the brow at 4am with only your white pants on to show the duty watch you had a good night lol

I would imagine if that happened now you would be on the way out..... ::)

Chief Stoker said:
I would imagine if that happened now you would be on the way out..... ::)

No kidding.  Sad.

You know funny enough, I was in Ont with the Army when all this anti-fun, anti-drinking stuff infected the RCN.  It left allot of civilians, that I talked to, scratching their heads as their image of a sailor is of a good time guy, who goes on runs ashore and drinks.  And they didn't have a problem with that image.  They actually thought it was endearing to some extent it seemed. 

Its funny I think the RCN made a bigger deal out of the "incidents" than the rest of country did.

#overreaction #kneejerkreaction

Just my opinion, but if you need the Navy to let you drink in uniform at foreign ports to keep you happy, perhaps you need to reassess your priorities and perhaps you have bigger problems that may need to be addressed.

I don't see what's wrong with going in civies.  Drunk uniformed sailors aren't the image I'd want the public to remember.

SupersonicMax said:
Just my opinion, but if you need the Navy to let you drink in uniform at foreign ports to keep you happy, perhaps you need to reassess your priorities and perhaps you have bigger problems that may need to be addressed.

I don't see what's wrong with going in civies.  Drunk uniformed sailors aren't the image I'd want the public to remember.

I need no problem with drinking in uniform personally as long as you know your limits, its the 1% that's the problem.  We're you ever at a fleet week? The whole idea is going ashore in uniform, and having a few if so inclined.

The Navy worked hard and played hard ashore, I could see a toning down of stuff, but society is capitulating to the New Puritans and the more you give them, the more they want.

Colin P said:
The Navy worked hard and played hard ashore, I could see a toning down of stuff, but society is capitulating to the New Puritans and the more you give them, the more they want.

Its relaxed a bit, in fact they dropped the alcohol prices on the ship. It went from $3 to $1.50.

Chief Stoker said:
Its relaxed a bit, in fact they dropped the alcohol prices on the ship. It went from $3 to $1.50.

I wonder if that was because the beer would be going skunky and the write off losses would be too much.

Chief Stoker said:
I need no problem with drinking in uniform personally as long as you know your limits, its the 1% that's the problem.  We're you ever at a fleet week? The whole idea is going ashore in uniform, and having a few if so inclined.

Pretty sure the idea of fleet week is to show the public what the (US) Navy is about.  It isn't about "going ashore and having a few".  Especially not to the point of returning to the ship half naked.

Maybe it is the "1%" that ruin it for all but when there are a couple of high profile events, some of them international, maybe there is a problem and maybe it needs to be addressed.

jollyjacktar said:
I wonder if that was because the beer would be going skunky and the write off losses would be too much.

That was one reason, I also think it was because the ships funds weren't making any money.

SupersonicMax said:
Pretty sure the idea of fleet week is to show the public what the (US) Navy is about.  It isn't about "going ashore and having a few".  Especially not to the point of returning to the ship half naked.

Maybe it is the "1%" that ruin it for all but when there are a couple of high profile events, some of them international, maybe there is a problem and maybe it needs to be addressed.

Of course it is, and exposure to our US Navy partners. Its also about having fun and believe me going ashore and having a few or having a few bought for you is also a main part of it. As for high profile events one has to look to our US navy partners coming back to their ships half naked and worse.

SupersonicMax said:

When we were at San Diego fleet week we were not allowed ashore unless we were in TWL/3B. People in San Diego were excited to see so many military people in uniform all over and having a good time in their city, I imagine fleet week is the same in every city in that way.

In or out of uniform a problem drunk is an issue, so why punish everybody on the chance that the problem childern will live up to their nature.

WeatherdoG said:
When we were at San Diego fleet week we were not allowed ashore unless we were in TWL/3B. People in San Diego were excited to see so many military people in uniform all over and having a good time in their city, I imagine fleet week is the same in every city in that way.

In or out of uniform a problem drunk is an issue, so why punish everybody on the chance that the problem childern will live up to their nature.

I have to admire the Navy for being able to do something like that with relatively little drama.

They used to let the Army do that 'drink in town in uniform' thing....

.... but the big sissies chickened out sometime after the rape of Badajoz.... :)

SupersonicMax said:

Says the guy whose idea of deployment is anything less than a 4 start resort ;)  RCAF, best union in the CAF.

In all seriousness that is the only time, I mean Fleet Week, where you wanted to go ashore in uniform.  It was fun.  I got free seats at Yankees games, I never paid for food or drink... Lots of thank yous...it really was an amazing experience.

I still don't know where you get the foundation in the thread for a statement like that though...

Whats the big deal about coming home with only my pants on ?  I wasn't hurt, neither was anyone else.  I made it back to ship before leave expiry... No issues with Police or any other folks.  So whats the issue ?  If you think thats bad, ever heard of the Norfolk Hamburgler ?

Back