• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Seamen busted

Scoobie Newbie

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/members-of-hmcs-winnipeg-charged-with-drug-offences-in-japan-navy-1.2764076

What civilians are on a warship

A few different scenarios come to mind.  No doubt it will be revealed in due course.

Possibly, but speculating won't help narrow it down, so it's best to wait for more info lest the various scenarios end up on the front page of the Globe & Mail.

Sheep Dog AT said:
... What civilians are on a warship
I sorta had the same question.

This from the Info-machine:
On February 1, 2016, three members of HMCS Winnipeg’s ship’s company were detained by Japanese authorities while the ship was conducting a port visit in Tokyo, Japan. These crew members, two military members and one civilian employee, were detained for the alleged use of a controlled substance. One of the military members has since been released by police, while the other two persons have now been charged with use of a controlled substance by the Tokyo Police.

The Navy will continue to work with Canadian Consular officials and Japanese authorities as may be required throughout this process.

Quick Facts

The RCN, and the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) as a whole, has a zero-tolerance policy for illicit drug use and possession.

The Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) will continue to provide support to those being held in custody, as well as to their families here in Canada.

Quotes

“All of our personnel, military and civilian, are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that brings credit to the Navy, the Canadian Armed Forces, and our country as a whole. Our personnel are held to the highest standards of professionalism and conduct, and are subject to all Canadian laws, the Criminal Code, and the Code of Service Discipline, which is part of the National Defence Act. These allegations are obviously troubling, and while it is too early to speak to the specifics of any actions or investigations at this point, I can state definitively that our response will be based on facts, and will serve to remind and reassure all who serve in the RCN that unacceptable behaviour, whatever its nature, has no place within our ranks.”
    Rear-Admiral Gilles Couturier, Commander Maritime Forces (Pacific)

CF and Asian media (here and here) say the ship was involved in "strategic engagement ... to build diplomatic ties."

It should be safe to say that it could be as mundane as a technical assistance visit. 

[quote author=Sheep Dog AT
What civilians are on a warship
[/quote]

On a deployed warship? Could me a couple sailing with the ship.

The two that come to mind are PSP staff as well as technicians for the Scan Eagle UAV (if so embarked).

During OP TOUCAN we had a group of entertainers from Quebec onboard PROTECTEUR. They were barely settled into their spaces when we could smell smoke coming coming from one of their cabins. You could imagine their surprise when one of the officers came bursting in with a fire extinguisher yelling "FIRE, FIRE, FIRE". Once everything calmed down we discovered that one of the young ladies (she was a dancer who we assumed they recruited from Club Super Sex) decided that the cabin stunk and she lit some incense to get rid of the smell! Some of us were quite indignant on the accusation that we had a uncomfortable body odor!!! I always wondered if she lit the incense to hide the smell of pot, LOL!

Anyway we were quite relieved when we landed the troupe ashore and waved our goodbyes. Although the ending of the morning stretching routine of the young dancers in the Wardroom was lamented by all.

An update ...
Two crew members aboard HMCS Winnipeg, which is based in Esquimalt, B.C., have been charged in Japan with using a controlled substance, the Royal Canadian Navy said Tuesday in a statement.

The pair were detained Monday while the ship was in Tokyo for a port visit.

The navy said that originally three crew members were detained, including two members of the military and a civilian employee. One of the military crew has since been released, but the other two were charged ...

It is worth remembering that Japan has some of the most stringent drugs laws. Some of the most commonly available over the counter meds in North America are verboten in Japan. Getting busted there does not necessarily equal the use of a drug that is illicit here.

Such an unfortunate title for this thread.... ;D

I'll go back to my corner now.

ModlrMike said:
It is worth remembering that Japan has some of the most stringent drugs laws. Some of the most commonly available over the counter meds in North America are verboten in Japan. Getting busted there does not necessarily equal the use of a drug that is illicit here.

Thank you for the education on that. I had no idea.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/canadian-charged-in-japan-is-son-of-top-military-official-1.2766930

If true,  I'm sure dad won't be too happy.

Sheep Dog AT said:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/canadian-charged-in-japan-is-son-of-top-military-official-1.2766930

If true,  I'm sure dad won't be too happy.

It also clears up the mystery of the civilian - the article says civilian fitness instructor.

Possible that someone was using chemicals to enhance his physique?

It may be just me, but isn't "top military official" referring to a retired rear admiral a bit of a stretch?

More from CTV Vancouver Island

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/esquimalt-based-sailors-arrested-on-drug-charges-in-japan-identified-1.2767143#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=Facebook&_gsc=Sf7zLOH
CTV Vancouver Island
Published Friday, February 5, 2016 4:55PM PST

CTV News has learned the identities of two Canadian Navy crew members detained by Japanese police earlier this week.

Three crew members of HMCS Winnipeg, which is based out of CFB Esquimalt, were detained on allegations of drug use while the ship was in the Port of Tokyo.

Ian Greenwood, the son of retired Rear Admiral Richard Greenwood, faces a charge relating to drug use and remains in custody.

A civilian fitness instructor from the ship has also been charged with drug use.
Both were charged after Japanese police administered drug tests, but the charges have yet to be proven in a court of law.

A third Canadian, Jack Lawson, was taken into custody and subsequently released by police after a drug test.
Lawson, son of recently retired Chief of Defence Staff Thomas Lawson, faces no charges.

A source told CTV News cocaine may have been the drug in question, but that has not been confirmed.
Ottawa says it is giving consular support to the arrested Canadians, but they could be facing a long wait in the Japanese justice system.

Japan and Canada do not currently have a deal in place to handle the transfer of military members in this kind of situation.

How was that omitted from the original story? The headline still did not conform to the published text.

Old Sweat said:
How was that omitted from the original story? The headline still did not conform to the published text.

Also, some of the folks involved may not actually be in the Navy but may be part of another environment that attaches itself regularly to the Navy  :jet:

Can't say with any sort of certainty though.... Wouldn't want what happened in the movie FLIGHT to happen to anyone else, although Denzel did pull through in the end...

ff20130301a5a.jpg

It must have been the Alcohol that countered the effects of the white stuff.... Basic math folks, two negatives make a positive!

Back