• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

So Who's Got The New Bayonet?

problem is its not a ruck -- Its part of the sat map...

Supposed to get my new bayonet on monday .
(checks in the mail, I wont c*m in your mouth and helos are on the way)
Probably gonna stay in my locker on account of the serial # 
Laser, surefire, m203 all strapped to my muzzle, add a bayonet and I can' lift it. May get some mileage opening my pay statements. Seriously though, it must be mounted in the fashion of Paracowboy.
Have all the Old crusty people who cant accept that shipped to the 2nd.

"Send all the Old crusty people who cant accept that shipped to the 2nd."
And what pray tell do you mean by the above.

BS with regards to equipment trials I would like to think that some of it could be streamlined by taking lessons from our allies and equipment we may be considering (ie Hummer, LUVW, rail systems, NVG's etc).  This way we could weed out some of the equipment with glaring deficiencies.  Let them do most of the leg work.

^-^Post edited for clarity. All rigid conformists to the 2nd. I am currently working on a proposal that may see function and practicality of kit overcome the need to conform... In the 1st BN. But that is a story for another thread. Thanks to MJP for all his help.

Well I'll weigh in here.....

So far I've personaly seen 2 broken here in theater...right at the loop for the wire cutter pivot.

Seems to me they aren't made too robust....or the previous owners abused them.

My .02 worth.

Regards

there shouldn't have been previous owners. They should be brand, spankin' new.

Well they were turned in to the QM...so obviously the owners relinquished them to get them replaced.

Methinks you need another cup of coffee  ;)

Regards

You'll like this one Kev. I'm reading a book about the Brit's 1 Para in Iraq and the official kit list (reproduced as an appendix) actually says "webbing/fighting order of choice". (the items that have to go into it are specifed)

Franko said:
Well they were turned in to the QM...so obviously the owners relinquished them to get them replaced.

Methinks you need another cup of coffee    ;)

Regards
gotcha. I'd never heard a CQ or QM refer to a 'previous owner'. I thought you meant that these had been...you know where I'm goin'.
I'm a dumb@ss. 

Further to the acquisitions process deficiencies;

Some Major from Ottawa comes to 3VP to ask us for input on the TRIAL TV and cbts.

We tell him the TV needs to be modular for Support Wpn gunners, that it needs larger pouches and double mag carriage capacity. We are told to sum up, the CF will not design webbing around a light Bn.

We tell him that you can't reach any of the pockets on the shirt whilst wearing a frag vest - and suggested that the chest pockets be moved to the arms. We are told that "you don't wear a frag vest all of the time, so I don't see what the issue is"

We tell him that a C9 gunner cannot carry two canteens and 2 boxes of ammo - he says there are'nt enough C9 gunners to make it "worthwhile"

He sends us snowshoes with plastic buckles that break when frozen - we are now stuck with the old ones - even though we SPECIFICALLY stated that snowshoes must have metal buckles.

I fantasize about beating that major about the head with his clipboard......

Hmmp sounds like our run ins with CTS......

"what do you mean end-user driven?" 
"Your using it wrong" (in reference to the new WWB and their tendency to slip on ice)

Til they take the politics out of acquisitions....we'll always have POS equipment thrusted upon us and told to make it work.

GO I was about to say that after your conversation its up to the senior leadership and officers to set them straight at the mess, but I have learned over time (surprisingly I might add) that the senior NCO's and officers to tell them the same things the troops do (more or less) and get the same song and dance.

+1 on the frog straps being too loose, noticed that right away.

And yes each bayonet is serialized, right on the blade. I guess they want to contol them to the same level as firearms, not sure why, seems like more needless admin to me. 

Pics to follow.

the problems im experiance with my bayonet scabbard are something almost everyone ive talked to over here is experianceing with it. the crappy knives themselves seem to be limited to small numbers and i cant speak to the effectiveness of the wirecutters on it but id be willing to bet that it wont hold up.....on the same note ive been throwning mine(did i say throwing i ment um dropping) at anything wooden any chance i get just to see how it holds up and aso b/c i dont want to mess up ,my actual good knife that sits on my belt. Overall i think they had a good idea...took the russian ak bayonet idea which is a solid knife....,the problem is they cut corners...no big surprise there...

2FERSapper said:
the problems im experiance with my bayonet scabbard are something almost everyone ive talked to over here is experianceing with it. the crappy knives themselves seem to be limited to small numbers and i cant speak to the effectiveness of the wirecutters on it but id be willing to bet that it wont hold up.....on the same note ive been throwning mine(did i say throwing i ment um dropping) at anything wooden any chance i get just to see how it holds up and aso b/c i dont want to mess up ,my actual good knife that sits on my belt. Overall i think they had a good idea...took the russian ak bayonet idea which is a solid knife....,the problem is they cut corners...no big surprise there...in case you didnt no this somethying like 80 or 90% of the people who work at the drdc are people who have been acused of wrong doing with something of monatary value....so basicly we have abunch of people of questionable previous service at units or postings in the cf who are now in control of a even bigger buget and are meeting with manufacting companies deciding which companies get the contract and your wondering why we get sub standard kit...probly b/c kick backs are invovled...oh  wait thats already happened and come to lite on more than one occasion....theres the problem with our stuff insted of all the staff in r&d being posted there for excelling only afew are posting postions...the rest are temp postings while the indidviuals case is inve4stigated...and while that long process is going on...they are in control of massive amounts of power and money....i gota go eat just got back from afew long days....signing out from the sandbox

2FERSapper, those are some pretty heavyweight accusations, and applied with a broad brush. Can you point us to any supporting evidence before others simply accept your comments as fact?

Back