• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Steward: Training/the work (merged)

btw.. can anyone tell me about Naval Environmental Training Plan , and do you do this right after basic?! I forgot yah had to do a ql2! Getting too army...  can someone explain this to me? thanks.

NETP will make you safe to go to sea. You will learn Naval heritage, terminology (it is quite unique), ships organisation and fire fighting and damage control. You will do this after basic and before you go on your QL3. It will take place in Esquimalt (Canadian Forces Fleet School/Seamanship Division) or Halifax (Canadian Forces Naval Operations School/Seamanship Division).

As the first few answers to the original question point out, the trade is quite diverse. At the lower ranks one can expect a lot of sea time, and while at sea, to prepare meals, conduct VIP functions, general Wardroom husbandry, and take care of the ship's officers and CO. As one progresses, normally QL5 Qualified, duties tend to become double hatted in the Wardroom as well as taking care of the bar imprest.  On promotion to MS, more money stuff, leading the team in the Wardroom, and better jobs ashore running messes.  At the Sr NCO level its all about the money, and leading the team in the conduct of its duties.
Additionally, as a member of the ship's company, you can expect to do a myriad of things as part of the Watch and Station Bill, from participating in Man Over Boards, to Casualty Clearing. In fact, all Stwds are well trained in First Aid, and many have advanced quals and even instructor quals. 
Off the ship, there are a few postings to bases inland in training positions as well as running the various messes on base. 
Flight Stwd is a heavily competed for position, and very difficult to get in to, but can be rewarding.

awesome! thank you very much.. im guesing submariner/stwd is difficult too ..

how does one go about becoming a flght/stwd?

gijesso said:
awesome! thank you very much.. im guesing submariner/stwd is difficult too ..

how does one go about becoming a flght/stwd?

You've got to be (well, on paper) QL5 qualified and a Leading Seaman (CPL) to go to submarines.  I don't know how it will be in four or five years when you're at that stage, but if you were at that level right now you'd be snapped up immediately.  They're running a basic sub course right now with only six people, and they're so desperate for bodies that the entire QL5A Sonar course in house right now got screening/course loading messages for submarines, something that hasn't happened in 15 years or so.

I imagine flight steward has the same rank and QL requirement.

Wow , Im suprised more people dont want to go on a Sub. Lol...  It really interest me , so I cant wait til I get to that level!

Thank you!

Flt Stwd is something you apply for once you are in the trade.  You have to go through a formal screening process, complete with BPSO referrals, interviews, Air Crew Medicals, etc. THEN, you have to be picked up and loaded on the course. Very competitive, very selective, very hard to get, and from everyone I know who has done it, very rewarding.

Rhibwolf said:
Flt Stwd is something you apply for once you are in the trade.  You have to go through a formal screening process, complete with BPSO referrals, interviews, Air Crew Medicals, etc. THEN, you have to be picked up and loaded on the course. Very competitive, very selective, very hard to get, and from everyone I know who has done it, very rewarding.

I wonder what in particular people find appealing about it?

a break from your trade and the travel, would be a highlight for me. I would not find FLT Steward appealing to me. But I heard its a blast!!

Neill, TD, Airforce style, and lots of it!! What more does one need?

Awesome.. 

Ever since I knew I was going stwd , the first thing I thought of was eventually going Flt Stwd. Im going to hopefully pursue that and try my best to eventually do it. Im excited about the job period.. I thought I was going infantry ( which I am still abit upset about haha ). But , I think it takes the right person .. so hopefully some day ill be a flt stwd.

gijesso said:
Wow , Im suprised more people dont want to go on a Sub. Lol...  It really interest me , so I cant wait til I get to that level!

Thank you!

Well, the fact that they rarely go to sea (only one is able, the others are years away - Chicoutimi in 2012) is a big downer for a lot of guys.  The perception that they are unsafe is another one.  The rumor now is that pay for submariner Leading Seaman will approach $95,000 per year due to a big "at sea" allowance, kinda like army guys get field pay.  The catch being that you have to sail, and that ain't going to happen much.  So, you put in a whole shitload of work to become submarine qualified, rarely use it, don't do anything to merit promotion, eventually get rotated back into the surface fleet where you will be well behind in professional development compared to your peers who have gone through the very surface-oriented continuation training scheme, and attempt to catch up.  Probably not so bad for a steward, but it's essentially career death for an operator.

Also, for others reading the thread, DMTE is apparently saying that ALL Sonar Operator Leading and Master Seamen will screen for submarine service.  Other ops trades I imagine will follow suit.  Yee haw.

Also, for others reading the thread, DMTE is apparently saying that ALL Sonar Operator Leading and Master Seamen will screen for submarine service.  Other ops trades I imagine will follow suit.  Yee haw.

Apparently already started for NCI-OPs as well...

Ex-Dragoon said:
Apparently already started for NCI-OPs as well...

Ex-D...hurry up and go to subs so i can hunt you down and ping the crap out of you  ;D

aesop081 said:
Ex-D...hurry up and go to subs so i can hunt you down and ping the crap out of you  ;D

*snicker* well if you were hunting my sub I would not have too much to worry about... ;)

Screening all ET's on QL5 course now only six of us left now so there isn't going to be much to choose from

:cdn:

Huh , well.. that sucks? I still want to though :)

Can anyone go into detail about the QL2 .. and im guessing everyone has to take the naval training. Im still really lost about the Navy , wasnt raised around it , so if someone could ad a little tid bit on that.. thatd be superb.

jesso

Back