• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Steward: Training/the work (merged)

Pat in Halifax said:
Steward is considered a hard sea trade. That said, as many serve Army and AF as Navy.

So eventually down that long road I could transfer to an Air Force or Army situation?

Hi, I am having trouble with this site. Any question I ask is usually respond to with links to other threads which I read in their entirety and still don't have the answer I am looking for. It gets very tiring reading 20 pages and still not getting an answer close to what I am looking for. I am not complaining just maybe I am not doing something properly. Here is my question. I just finished my aptitude test and applied to be a steward. What is the life like? Is it hard to get into if you have a lot of previous experience (restaurants /management)? Also is there a lot of women in the trade?
Thank you so much for yout help. Also if someone could give me some pointer on how to navigate this site better.

Laura

We appreciate that some threads are excessively long, generally because many questions are asked repetitively and are then merged into the appropriate existing thread each time (plus, of course, the inevitable tangents like this one). Merging is the best that we can do to keep the Site relatively uncluttered.

Reading through them at least (hopefully) imparts some general knowledge about the subject, which (hopefully) leads to more refined questions.

We certainly do not mind questions, but we do prefer that members do a little homework first.

Previous experience is seldom a bad thing, as long as one can adapt to the CF way of doing things and avoid getting stuck in old habits. Previous experience is also not required for most occupations.

Regardless of the percentage of women in any given occupation, one is still going to be working in a largely male environment, for whatever that's worth. I'm not sure why you are asking that question, though.

Thanks I was just maybe wanting a female prospective. I am used to working in mostly male dominated professions. I guess I am just trying to get an idea of what to expect.
Thanks!!

neacha67 said:
Also is there a lot of women in the trade?

gcclarke said:
I haven't noticed the ratio of male / female stewards being any different than the ratio of male / female sailors overall.

There getting rid of the Stewart trade. A lot them are moving to other trades. The only ones that are helping the transition is POs and Cheifs. But there going to retire soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poprockets1 said:
There getting rid of the Stewart trade. A lot them are moving to other trades. The only ones that are helping the transition is POs and Cheifs. But there going to retire soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. They've backpedalled on that one.  That was one idea that was being looked at under the "Deck Operations" study, but the Stewards have been removed from that study and a new one has started just for them.  I don't think we're going to see the demise of the Steward occupation.

Who would make the beds and plump the pillows without them?

would anyone happen to know when the next course for steward is happening? or even a rough guess? Thanks

Hi, I have changed my career choices from three to one (Steward). I just feel like this job suits me very well and I am willing to wait for an opening. I see they are hiring on the forces website but some people have said it's a hard trade to get into. I have over 10 years experience in restaurants and  retail store management. Would I have a good chance of getting in? I am currently a grocery manager and have been for 6 years.
Thanks for the help!

Laura 

Back