• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Steward: Training/the work (merged)

mechanic_chick

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello folks!

Here is my story , and do apoloize in advance if there are threads like this , I did my search and found nothing  ;

I went to recruiting all pumped , and naive , thinking ' Here  I come Infantry ' . Very enthusiastic to get my hands on that C6 and ' giver ' haha. Well turns out Im AS BLIND AS A BAT! I knew that , but didnt think I was that bad haha. Apparently , Im so bad that not only can I not go Combat Arms.. but only about 3 trades.

The only one to interest me was Steward , Navy.

Folks .. I know nothing of the Navy.  Both my parents are Air Force and grew up that way all my life. Moved to CFB Shilo , and got turned onto the Infantry.

So anyone.. anyone out there at all please help this helpless little sailor-to-be.

What are good postings? What ships are best? What does a steward really do? Ups / Downs about being Navy. Physical fitness abroad a ship. Anything to having internet on a ship , work environment , anything!! Rank structure.. you name it.

Feel free to add me to msn or email me too.

Thanks alot and will be one of you very very soon!

'os' to be , Jesso  :)

Well from my short experience of working on a Navy base (1 1/2 year) I had the chance to work with a about a dozen of stewards and to be honest most of them were all doing very different things.

a PO1 and PO2 at my unit (MOG4 maritime operational group 4) were more like admin clerk taking care of non-public funds and other financial tasks.

a LS attached to the HMCS Victoria (Stewards go on the submarine) was doing general tasks, from purchasin various items in town for the unit to getting the mail, taking care of some receptions in regard to the HMCS Victoria.

Another was responsible of managing the alcohol stock for al the MCDVs.

However I am not very familiar with what are their tasks when they are on a ship, but it's most likely about cleaning, food, reception, serving the Captain and so on.

On my RMS Clerk QL3 we had a Steward that was sort of a flight attendant, according to him it was a blast and time was going by very fast but he was a little sick of traveling too much.

Sounds like a good time. I think ill like this! Thanks!! And btw.. can females go on subs?

I think I heard of one female (officer ?) that was on a sub and that was years ago, what happened with that I dunno really.

Never seen a woman on a sub beside that, and I don't know if it is technicly allowed ??? someone here will be better than me to answer that.

gijesso said:
Sounds like a good time. I think ill like this! Thanks!! And btw.. can females go on subs?

According to this thread, yes.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/2254/post-25093.html#msg25093

I don't know much about what Stewards do, but I was talking to a Leading Seaman who just finished his 5's and he mentioned the course was alot of accounting.

With how far our fine Navy has come, I don't see why we wouldn't have females aboard a sub. If they can drive a warship, I'm sure they be onboard a sub. (If I'm wrong please let me know)

Better put down a second and third choice if STWD is your first choice. It's exceedingly hard to be selected for STWD. A lot of STWDs tend to be occupational transfers (already in the CF), like infantry who've buggered their knees.

Check out this web site it will give you info about the Stwd trade.
www.pspmembers.com/stwds

Steward is under logistics.   In the regs start out serving officers on ship and running the wardroom.  Its like a Hotel & Restaurant management job in civi life.  You organize cocktail parties for the CO.  Stewards tend to be posted the Barracks and messes here in HFX when they have shore postings.  

They tend to have a few positions on the boarding team on the ships including some of the leading members.  Meaning you get your infantier fix :)  All in all you get to see the world drink beer and your job is not all that demanding from day to day.  This is just my observations as I am an ET :)  I've met a few really switched on guys who are Stewards, they stand out and they will rise to the top quickly.

Good luck just make sure you know the facts don't let yourself get conned into something you don't want to do.  The CF is a great way to spend 20+ years if you like what you do.

:cdn:

Just to make a correction with the last post the steward trade is not a part of the Logistics branch it is a part of the Naval Operations branch now I beleive it went like that in 1998 or around there.There courses are still run at CFB Borden but there is talk about moving it to one of the coasts. :cdn:

They still fall under the supply Officer on the ship and the Logistic Chief  :p  From what I can tell anyway I'm not an expert tho :)

Yes they do fall under the Supply Officer and Chief and are part of the logistics dept but they where the Naval operations badge and are not part of the Logistics Branch.

super26 said:
Just to make a correction with the last post the steward trade is not a part of the Logistics branch it is a part of the Naval Operations branch now I beleive it went like that in 1998 or around there.There courses are still run at CFB Borden but there is talk about moving it to one of the coasts. :cdn:

On board a ship they are part of the Logistics department.

Ok folks I think we have established that Stewarts wear the Naval Operations cap badge but fall under the Supply Department.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Ok folks I think we have established that Stewarts wear the Naval Operations cap badge but fall under the Supply Department.
Do they were tartans when they are working in the Wardroom?

(I know, he ment Stewards. ;D)

Wow  , never expected so many replies. Thanks for everything! Im very excited to embark on my career , and try something different  , instead of army and air force like the rest of my family , ill be the first in the immediate family who is navy! VERY excited. Ill update and let you know of any new advancements!

Amy

Even the OPS Team has stewards:

ORS- OP's Room Stewards, providing light and sound control while ensuring the elite NESOP's have coffee and cookies on the mids.

Incoming....LOL :warstory:

HFXCrow said:
Even the OPS Team has stewards:

ORS- OP's Room Stewards, providing light and sound control while ensuring the elite NESOP's have coffee and cookies on the mids.

Incoming....LOL :warstory:

LOL, here's another one
CCISO - Career Continuation Intentions Suddenly Over.
Compared to Deck Officer  ;D (The Best Job in the fleet for a Lt(N), the CISSO (formerly the Communications Officer) job is the absolute worse :-[.

Back