• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "G Wagon" (Iltis replacment for Recce & the Reg Force)

KA2004-R102-072a.jpg

An Afghan Airlines Boeing 727 taxis past one of the eighteen newly arrived G Wagon light utility vehicles at the airport in Kabul. The G Wagons, which will be used as replacements for the ILTIS jeep by the Battle Group of the 3rd Battalion Royal 22nd Regiment from Valcartier, QC, for patrolling Canada‘s Area of Responsibility (AOR) in the city of Kabul, arrived early this morning via Antonov transport aircraft.

KA2004-R102-073a.jpg

The first 18 of 60 Mercedes-Benz G-Wagon landed at Kabul‘s airport on Friday, 5 March 2004. The G-Wagons will replace the aging fleet of Iltis vehicles used by Canada‘s Army.

KA2004-R102-076a.jpg

KA2004-R102-077a.jpg

KA2004-R102-075a.jpg

It‘s almost as if.... You‘re seeing a difference.

;)

*Flick‘s tear from eye*

Are they still using the AN-126s to transport the equipment over (those huge Russian planes that take off from Trenton at 0300 and wake everyone up two hours early)?

BTW: Those wagons are looking pretty good. Hopefully they preform as good as they look.

G Wagon Technical Specifications

VARIANTS: 3 (Basic, Command and Reconnaissance, Military Police)
TYPE: 4 Pax Station Wagon
ENGINE: 5-cylinders
DRIVETRAIN: 4X4 permanent all-wheel drive, 5-speed automatic
TIRES: Michelin XZL 8.25R16 with optional run-flat inserts.
FORDING ABILITY: 600mm
GROUND CLEARANCE: 43.9cm
SIDE SLOPE ANGLE: 30 º
APPROACH ANGLE: 40 º
GRADEABILITY: 60 percent
PAYLOAD: 1 500 kg Max (incl APS)

Why did they decide to purchase the G-Wagon, which is just a modified civilian vehicle, instead of something like the O‘Gara-Hess M1114 (a Humvee variant)? You can at least mount a machine gun on an M1114. :fifty:

Beach - you‘ve got it backwards:
The G-Wagon was a military design first, the Mercedes G-500 is the civvie version which followed (similar to the civvie Humvee‘s you see driving around town - military vehicle first, civvie "Look Cool Factor" second).

There was a competition held, and GM withdrew their bid - this left Mercedes the winner by default (once again, Liberal party politics - Herb Gray was the Deputy PM at the time, and Chrysler is in his riding, and Mercedes is part of the conglomerate ...)

Having said that, I‘m led to believe these vehicles are actually made in Europe (which probably explains why they were able to accelerate their delivery).

I‘ve ridden in an earlier 2-door variant, and I‘m SOOOOO relieved to see we bought the 4-door (the back seat of the 2-door was a ‘death trap‘) - my German buddies were adamant that they preferred the 4-door, too.

Now, if we could only buy enough of them for the entire Army, instead of having a split fleet ... sigh ...

Wow, that‘s a serious vehicle. I‘d like to drive that in downtown rush hour traffic and fire at every vehicle that tries to cut me off. Gives road rage a whole new meaning. ;)

Boy do I ever want a G-wagon. A couple of weeks ago when I went home I saw a couple of the G500 being driven by hockey mom‘s down my street brining a bunch of their kids to practice. What a sweet looking ride. Quite a contrast too with what they are doing in Afghanistan.

Charles

Aye, that IFAV look pretty sweet.

I think, though, that the civvie g500 with hardtop looks ugly as ****. Give me a Jeep anyday. :)

Better then what we had, Still should have went with GM or Ford vehicle with light and medium truck versions.

Back