• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The need for tactical highly visible rank (From:Re-Royalization)

ObedientiaZelum said:
Is highly visible rank really that much of an issue?

After we tackle this important problem I'd like pants without holes in them- maybe even pants that match my shirt.

It's pissing away time & money on something unneeded.  Imagine if instead that effort and money was spent to acquire and maintain CADPAT  - and if people sitting in offices, wearing out CADPAT ass-first were in stead in DEU.  Then clothing stores might have your size.

jpjohnsn said:
Back in the day, once I was issued my kit, whenever I had to wear coveralls, I had to wear more than issue underwear under them.  They are meant as a cover for clothing and not clothing in itself.  You should be able to slip in and out of coveralls, as required, without having to hit a changeroom first.

In the bad, old days before combat clothing was issued in 1964, coveralls were often used as dress of the day in garrison. In that case we wore underwear and tshirts underneath them, but also wore spit shined boots, puttees and weights along with slipons with badges of rank and web or stable belts. Officer and sergeants and above were in battledress. When we went to the field, we all wore coveralls with whatever underneath if summer dress was not in effect. That at least was the practice in 4 RCHA and probably was not universal in the artillery, let alone the army.

In those days there was not enough winter gear - parkas, mukluks, wind pants, etc - to outfit all the units, so it was pooled and drawn for winter indoc, etc. If  we were going to the field in cold weather, it was usual to wear bush pants and a shirt along with sweater high neck (put on backwards to keep cold air off the neck and chest) underneath. For footwear the usual was the issue overshoes with as many pairs of socks, grey, wool on as could fit inside the footwear. And no, nobody was fool enough to check to see if the socks all matched. For headgear either the cap, peaked, winter or the issue kakhi toque was worn, and some lucky souls were issued sheepskin coats.

Coveralls were considered kosher then. I know I was clad in a pair when I was ordered to report to the adjutant ASAP. He then told me I had been an officer cadet for ten days and started me off on my trip through officer land.

dapaterson said:
It's pissing away time & money on something unneeded. 
Yes, NDHQ's ADM (Fixing the Unbroken) has had a very busy year -- especially within the Directorate of Useless Fashion, Pins, and Badges.  :not-again:

While we're at it; could we go back to blue flight suits and gold ranks on the shoulders?  ;D

I always liked this story about Chesty Puller:

Puller is loved by enlisted U.S. Marines for his constant actions to improve their working conditions. Puller insisted upon good equipment and discipline; once he came upon a second lieutenant who had ordered an enlisted man to salute him 100 times for missing a salute. Puller told the lieutenant, "You were absolutely correct in making him salute you 100 times lieutenant, but you know that an officer must return every salute he receives. Now return them all, and I will keep count."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chesty_Puller

Old Sweat said:
In the bad, old days before combat clothing was issued in 1964, coveralls were often used as dress of the day in garrison.

And if I remember correctly, mine had no rank sewn on them nor a place for slip ons (they hadn't been invented yet although the truly anal retentive ones would safety pin their brassard to them.)  >:D

:pop:

Coveralls questions:

1.  What do you wear under them;

2.  What do you wear prior to putting them on, and after taking them off;

3.  What do you wear to the Mess hall for lunch;

4.  What do you wear if called up to a HQ;

5.  What do you wear as accoutrements  (rank, belt, etc.);

6.  How do you wear them through the four seasons; and

7.  What Order of Dress will this become?

Flight suit?

I see our Yorkshiremen are out in force.

"Why, when I went to law school, the textbook consisted of two stone tablets."

You had stone tablets?? Luxury.

We had to memorize everything.  Tell that to the youngsters these days and they wouldn't believe you.

FJAG said:
And if I remember correctly, mine had no rank sewn on them nor a place for slip ons (they hadn't been invented yet although the truly anal retentive ones would safety pin their brassard to them.)  >:D

:pop:

I would not say retentive. All L/Cpls and above wore kharki (Bush uniform) armlets with rank and unit flash on the right sleeve, held by a safety pin. The retentive would blacken the safety pin!

We wore black coveralls all the time for training until about 1966. On maint days with 2 PPCLI, Germany 1968, black coveralls and bush armlet.

The wearing of black coveralls was instrumental with the teaching of a lesson in the summer of 1963 at Shilo. "Never go to ground on a forward slope". Our section was leading, and the Second World War Vet who was an umpire told us to look around. Sure enough, a bunch of black dots/lumps on the slope behind us. Easy targets.

As late as 82-84 we ran SYEP courses with them wearing coveralls and 51 pattern webbing. Actually a returns to khaki workdress for garrison might work and reduce the demand and wear on the Cadpats. Combat clothing supplies and availability has always seem to be an issue. 

Photos:

1. Sheepskin Coats

2. Group with bush jacket sleeves rolled down (rare). Center of photo, black coveralls. Armlet visible on L/Cpl on right. Actually L/Cpls in Rifle Regts wear two stripes. A Cpl or now MCpl wore two stripes and a designator above aka the current maple leaf position. The QOR wore their powder horn, we wore the rampaging devil facing forward. PS: a 26 Radio Set

Bush (summer dress) Jackets were heavy cotton fabric. A ***** to iron. My experience with Bush Jackets was that they were worn on more "formal" parades as they were "dressier" (see next photo). Bush Jackets were sometimes ordered to be worn if it was cold. A misnomer, as sleeves were always rolled up, and they were more draftier that shirts, so they had the opposite effect. Getting your 37 or 51 pattern web belt around neatly was also a problem.

3. Bush Jackets order of dress. Two armlets visible.

4. Infantry WO1 Wrist Strap. The strap fitted like a watch strap, worn on the right wrist by WO1 and WO2's in Bush Uniform, shirt or Jacket. Some regiments had regimentized these two badges.  I personally loved this designator.

Kirkhill said:
You had stone tablets?? Luxury.

We had to memorize everything.  Tell that to the youngsters these days and they wouldn't believe you.

That's right, Obadiah. Who would've thought 40 years ago that we'd be sitting here drinking Chateau de Chasselas debating the merits of high visibility ranks?  Aye, we were poor back then; so poor we couldn't afford rank braids on our cuffs so we had to wear insignia we borrowed from the Brits. Aye, we were poor; but we were happy! In fact, we were happy because we were poor!

That's right, we couldn't afford 30$ of tailoring every time we got a promotion so we wore pips and crowns. Now, tell the young people of today that and they wouldn't believe you!

Rifleman62 said:
Photos:

1. Sheepskin Coats

2. Group with bush jacket sleeves rolled down (rare). Center of photo, black coveralls. Armlet visible on L/Cpl on right. Actually L/Cpls in Rifle Regts wear two stripes. A Cpl or now MCpl wore two stripes and a designator above aka the current maple leaf position. The QOR wore their powder horn, we wore the rampaging devil facing forward. PS: a 26 Radio Set

Bush (summer dress) Jackets were heavy cotton fabric. A ***** to iron. My experience with Bush Jackets was that they were worn on more "formal" parades as they were "dressier" (see next photo). Bush Jackets were sometimes ordered to be worn if it was a cold. A misnomer, as sleeves were always rolled, and they were more draftier that shirts, so they had the opposite effect. Getting your 37 or 51 pattern web belt around neatly was also a problem.

3. Bush Jackets order of dress. Two armlets visible.

4. Infantry WO1 Wrist Strap. The strap fitted like a watch strap, worn on the right wrist by WO1 and WO2's in Bush Uniform, shirt or Jacket. Some regiments had regimentized these two badges.  I personally loved this designator.

Been there, wore it all.

The Infantry weren't the only ones to wear wrist rank. I wore mine until I retired this year.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane :salute:

CombatDoc said:
An attitude like this says much more about your professionalism as an NCM than it does about Officers needing to be recognized for saluting purposes.

Firstly, I was an nco, as in SNCO. Secondly....it was a joke. Sorry if the sarcasm wasn't evident.  ::)

Ohh I think we're in for a treat. I just seen a high visibility name tab, it was shinny white. Looked fabulous with our green uniform.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Ohh I think we're in for a treat. I just seen a high visibility name tab, it was shinny white. Looked fabulous with our green uniform.

I just got mine yesterday.  Tonight, I am going to wait until it's dark.  Then hold them up close to a light bulb for a few minutes, then turn the light out to see if they "glow in the dark" like a wrist watch does!!!

I dread the thought of returning to expensive and not necessary work or garrison dress ideas. 

Danjanou said:
With ascots , for the love of the little baby jesus don't forget the ascots  8)

I'm not sure what an ascot is but if it stops someone from calling me by the wrong rank by accident then it's a vital piece of kit.

Back