• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Reserve Thread- A Merged Collection of Q & A's

I‘m pretty sure it‘s once a week and sometimes a couple weekends a month.

Just came back from basic and I‘m in just about every weekend and tuesday for training. 404s and other stuff.

Its pretty flexible depending on what you want to do. There are usually weekend courses available depending on the time of year (from basic, to SQ, to driver-wheeled, modulized leadership, etc etc). I tend to prefer doing my training in the summer in complete "bricks" and thus usually parade most Tuesday‘s, and show up for the odd EX., Rememberance day, odd day/weekend tasking....

I am currently attending Georgian College in Barrie, Ontario and I just have a few questions about the reserves as well. If I make it in, what will happen with basic training? I don‘t know how that works because I won‘t be able to take weeks off at a time to train. Also, is it the same examination and testing as regular force? If anyone has any other advice or information about students in reserves, you can contact me here or my email: fascistjockitch@hotmail.com

Thanks!

yeah we train one night a week and couple weekends a month. most of our weekends are dedicated to training for ‘South Bound Trooper 4‘. and its well worth it

I am seriously thinking about joining the Reserves. I know you need to have Grade 10 completed and be 16. I am 15 now yet my Birthday is December 30th and I was wondering to you have to not have grade 11 education? Can I join before I start grade 12? Also on the recruiting website it had a getting ready page. On it girls (like myself) would only have to do 9 meanwhile guys had to do 19 (as a minimum) that won‘t be a problem yet I can‘t swim really well. I can swim but I can‘t dive and it said you had to summersault into the water, which would be difficult for me. Would I still be accepted? I do not really know anything about the army or reserves. I heard that if I wanted to join the reserves after grade 12 it was to be Officers and they do nothing but office work really. Is this true? At the reserves what is ratio of men to women out of curiosity. :gunner:

You don‘t really summersault per se, you just stand on the edge, bend your knees, lean forward and then just roll into the water. If you can‘t pass the test you‘re just put on as a non-swimmer.

I heard that if I wanted to join the reserves after grade 12 it was to be Officers and they do nothing but office work really.
1. One must have a bachelor‘s degree to be eligible to be an officer (there are exceptions)
2. Even with a bachelor‘s degree one can still be a non-commissioned member
3. Officers do not only do office work

i believe you need 7 grade 10 credits and to be 16 years of age to join. dont worry about the swimming i know alot of people who cant swim at all and are still in it. they dive in and sink like a rock.

To join, u need 15 credits...atleast grade 10...
Swimming isnt much of a problem...I did some training with the Navy, and a lot of them coudln‘t swim, it wasn‘t a big deal, you can still pass Basic without it...

Um, currently you need 6 grade 10 credits to apply.I would apply now.I applied when I was 15 as well. They will hold your app.
Swimming as has already been said is not a requirement to join, you do not get tested on it during your application process. When you do it on your coarse, it doesnt matter if you can swim or not, and you will be wearing a life jacket.

Just have a couple of questions about the
reserves

1. How long is the reserve traing, is that the
same basic as the Reg?

2. I am interested in the infantry and would
like to know what kind of specailized training
the reserves would recieve?

3.How often can the reserves do a tour? :evil:

1. Basic Training 15 weekends through-out the year, Friday night to sunday night. then you go to SQ and BIQ which is 10 weeks long,

2. Advanced Training Courses

Communicator
Reconnaissance Patrol
Anti-Armour Gunner
Sniper
Assault Pioneer
Mortarman
Section Commander

Specialty Training Courses

Basic Parachutist
Military Freefall Jumpmaster
Para Instructor
Helicopter Observer
Mountain Warfare
Desert Warfare
Instructional Techniques
First Aid Instructor
Rappelmaster
Unarmed Combat Instructor
Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Defence Instructor

3. Tours... Whenever there is one available, and youre unit asks for volunteers. tour and work up training last aproximately 1 year (6 month tour) and as far as i know you must be home for a minumum of 6-8 months in between tours.

thanks for the info it was very informative

does the CF recruit or is it the individual
groups that do the recruitment

Reserve units have a Recruiting Officer which handles the recruiting for their unit. They‘re the ones that have the most specific information regarding their unit.

The Recruiting Centre is also involved, as they‘re the ones you hand in your application to, and who you do the tests with.

Originally posted by leopard11:
[qb] 1. Basic Training 15 weekends through-out the year, Friday night to sunday night. then you go to SQ and BIQ which is 10 weeks long,
[/qb]
I thought some reserve units offered basic and sq full time over hte summer? Here in Alberta I think that‘s what the 41 CBG does, I may be wrong though.

Half those courses don‘t even exist anymore while the other half the Mo will never get. Recruiting is out to lunch...

Originally posted by Infanteer:
[qb] Half those courses don‘t even exist anymore while the other half the Mo will never get. Recruiting is out to lunch... [/qb]
I‘m sure this topic has been touched many times before, but reserve units aren‘t aloud to do their own recruiting, right? It all goes through CFRC, I thought. How hard would it be to let units do their own recruiting? Would it be easy to change? Is it worth changing? Sorry about the questions, I‘m just kind of curious as to the situation.

Reserve Units are allowed to do there own recruiting. But the processing of the file is done at the local CFRC. As far as basic trg is concerned you can also complete it in the summer F/T (Full time) approx 6 wks. As mentionned previously, a lot of courses are available to you once you are in, but some are based on merit so you performance will key! Hopes this helps

Cheers!

Alex, 41CBG, as others, offers both full time summer and part time winter courses for BMQ and SQ.

Back