• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing of Medals Questions

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this so please move if necessary.

I was recently at an event at my local legion where I observes several members wearing their service medals on the jackets. This was quite normal but I noted that they were also wearing assorted jump wings(white and red), dive, and 2 persons had pathfinder wings mounted with and above their medals. Is this appropriate? One gentleman was wearing his jump wings (white) and clearance diver badge at the same time above the medals.

I rarely go to legion events and only went because a good friend of mind badgered me to go. So I have no idea about what has become normal since my release in 1989.

prairefire said:
I am not sure if this is the right place to post this so please move if necessary.

I was recently at an event at my local legion where I observes several members wearing their service medals on the jackets. This was quite normal but I noted that they were also wearing assorted jump wings(white and red), dive, and 2 persons had pathfinder wings mounted with and above their medals. Is this appropriate? One gentleman was wearing his jump wings (white) and clearance diver badge at the same time above the medals.

I rarely go to legion events and only went because a good friend of mind badgered me to go. So I have no idea about what has become normal since my release in 1989.

Legion Dress Regs (oxymoron?) states that qualification or hazard badges, wings etc can be worn on the Legion blazer more or less where they would normally be worn on DEU tunics. The you can only wear Canadian rule ovviously also doesn't apply either so if you have US jump wings, French Commando badge, Brit wings etc they're "allowed" as well. I was at the national convention last year I saw some intersting collectiosn among some of members.

Gents, just got this direct from DHH.

"Once formally informed, a member of the ORMM or the recipient of a national decoration (MVDs, BDs or MSDs) may wear the undress ribbon, lapel badge and miniature and make use of the appropriate postnominals. The only element they cannot display is obviously the full-size insignia which they will receive later at a formal investiture. Ref was para 1, Section 3, Chap 2 of A-AD-200-000/AG-000 which is now out of circulation and being rewritten".

Danjanou said:
One gentleman was wearing his jump wings (white) and clearance diver badge at the same time above the medals.
....can be worn on the Legion blazer more or less where they would normally be worn on DEU tunics.
In which case, because only one badge is worn above the ribbons, the Clearance Diver badge should go on top and the Airborne wings below.

Why, you ask?  Precedence goes to the skill badge with the crown....regardless of jumpers' obvious superiority.

Trust me, I've dealt with several apoplectic RSMs on this serious fashion issue.  :nod:

Thanks for the responses. Although as a former jumper I find myself having a good laugh at your reply. :nod:

Back