• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the Dumbest Thing You've SEEN Today?

If there was any question that Glenn Greenwald was an a hole, this clarifies any confusion.

Glenn Greenwald mocks Time magazine

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/12/glenn-greenwald-mocks-time-magazine-179426.html?hp=r11

Glenn Greenwald, the journalist who broke the story of Edward Snowden's National Security Agency leaks earlier this year, mocked Time magazine for picking Pope Francis over Snowden for their "Person of the Year."

In an e-mail to Talking Points Memo and on Twitter, Greenwald called Time magazine "meaningless" and "cowards of the decade" for not choosing Snowden, whose revelations have been and continue to be a major news story that has shaken the government surveillance industry.

"It's a meaningless award from a meaningless magazine, designed to achieve the impossible: to make TIME relevant and interesting for a few fleeting moments," Greenwald told TPM.

Though Greenwald praised Pope Francis, he told TPM that it's clear Snowden has by far "influence this year's news events" more than anyone else.

" If it were a serious magazine with minimally brave editors, then of course Snowden would have been chosen, but I never expected him to be precisely because that's not what TIME is," Greenwald said.

Greenwald tweeted out a link to an Onion video calling Time a "magazine for children" with colorful info-bubbles and easy to understand writing.

cupper said:
If there was any question that Glenn Greenwald was an a hole, this clarifies any confusion.

Glenn Greenwald mocks Time magazine

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2013/12/glenn-greenwald-mocks-time-magazine-179426.html?hp=r11

Considering Time had Miley Cyrus on the list, I kind of agree with him.....  ;)

miley-cyrus-funny-as-hell_o_2103769.jpg

Prof corrects minority students’ capitalization, is accused of racism

Racial tensions are inflamed at the University of California at Los Angeles following several incidents — most notably, one where a professor corrected the grammar, punctuation and capitalization in minority students’ assignments.

The act of correcting a black student was “micro-aggression,” according to the members of the student group “Call 2 Action: Graduate Students of Color,” which launched a sit-in during a subsequent meeting of the class.

“A hostile campus climate has been the norm for Students of Color in this class throughout the quarter as our epistemological and methodological commitments have been repeatedly questioned by our classmates and our instructor,” wrote the group in a statement to the college. “[The] barrage of questions by white colleagues and the grammar ‘lessons’ by the professor have contributed to a hostile class climate.”

More at link

And the dumbing down of future generations continues.....  ::)

PMedMoe said:
Prof corrects minority students’ capitalization, is accused of racism

Racial tensions are inflamed at the University of California at Los Angeles following several incidents — most notably, one where a professor corrected the grammar, punctuation and capitalization in minority students’ assignments.

The act of correcting a black student was “micro-aggression,” according to the members of the student group “Call 2 Action: Graduate Students of Color,” which launched a sit-in during a subsequent meeting of the class.

“A hostile campus climate has been the norm for Students of Color in this class throughout the quarter as our epistemological and methodological commitments have been repeatedly questioned by our classmates and our instructor,” wrote the group in a statement to the college. “[The] barrage of questions by white colleagues and the grammar ‘lessons’ by the professor have contributed to a hostile class climate.”

More at link

And the dumbing down of future generations continues.....  ::)

Dammit.  I was expecting "The Onion" or "Duffelblog".  I weep for us all.  :facepalm:

Hey! Hey! They are entitled to their entitlements!!  ::)

Jim Seggie said:
You mean she can act....right?  ???

People's weren't really thinking of her acting ability when they watched her in the movie "Barbed Wire".  ;D

When PC-ness has just gotten way out of hand: reminds me of that other headline where another, much younger, kid was accused of sexual harassment for kissing another kid in the cheek.

::)

Yahoo News

Why This Teen was Suspended for Hugging His Teacher

By Sarah B. Weir, Shine Senior Writer | Parenting – 22 hours ago

A high school senior from Duluth, Georgia, has been suspended for the rest of the academic year for hugging his teacher. He says he was trying to brighten her day; she calls it sexual harassment. A school surveillance video captured the incident. It shows Sam McNair, 17, embracing the teacher, who has not been identified, from behind. She then pushes him away and he releases her and turns away. The teacher claims that his lips touched her neck, which he denies. She also alleges that she had warned him in the past about inappropriate physical contact.

The young man's mother, April McNair, says she never heard any complaints in the past and is worried that the suspension could seriously affect her son's ability to graduate and attend college. "He's a senior; he plays football and was getting ready for lacrosse season. By suspending him, you are stripping him of the opportunity to get a full scholarship for athletics," she told CBS Atlanta, adding that she and her son are "huggers." Sam McNair said the gesture was innocent and said of himself, "I'm the most loving person I know."

The school can't comment on the specifics of the incident, but Sloan Roach, spokesperson for the Gwinnett County School District, which oversees Duluth High, told Yahoo Shine by email, "Hearing officers consider witness testimony, a review of the known facts, and a student's past disciplinary history — including long-term suspensions that result in alternative school placement — when determining consequences. If a parent has concerns about the outcome of a panel, he or she is entitled to appeal the decision to the Gwinnett County Board of Education." And April McNair, who could not be reached for comment, told CBS that she plans to do exactly that.

(...)

Maybe not exactly dumb, but at the very least "under-considered". 

What did they expect when they offered a free bus ride in exchange for a cookie?

YLE Finland
Coach-cookie promotion crumbles under heavy demand

Matkahuolto’s Christmas promotion, which allowed passengers to use gingerbread biscuits instead of tickets on the company’s long-distance bus routes, has been overwhelmed by demand. Many would-be customers, clutching lovingly prepared ‘biscuit tickets’, have been left to make alternative travel arrangements after the gingerbread tickets ran out.

Bus company Matkahuolto had said that people turning up with a home-backed, edible gingerbread biscuit including the departure point and destination would be eligible to receive a free bus ticket.

Hundreds of people were queuing at Jyväskylä’s travel centre on Tuesday morning, hoping to take advantage of the Christmas promotion.

Other coach stations saw similar scenes: Ilta-Sanomat reported a lengthy line at Helsinki’s Kamppi bus terminal, while Matkahuolto chief Jukka Ylitalo told Aamulehti that demand was also strong in Turku and Tampere.

The company doubled the number of "gingerbread tickets" available from 500 to a thousand, but that was still not enough to meet the exceptional demand. Just 20 of those who turned up in Jyväskylä were able to board their bus free of charge, leaving a large number of disappointed travellers ....

S.M.A. said:
When PC-ness has just gotten way out of hand: reminds me of that other headline where another, much younger, kid was accused of sexual harassment for kissing another kid in the cheek.

In both cases, they had been previously told their behaviour was inappropriate.  In the case of the six year old, labelling him a "sexual offender" was stupid.  In the case of the 17 year old, grabbing a female teacher from behind and allegedly kissing her neck, I would call that harassment.  I just think his punishment is too severe.

PMedMoe said:
In both cases, they had been previously told their behaviour was inappropriate ....  In the case of the 17 year old, grabbing a female teacher from behind and allegedly kissing her neck, I would call that harassment.  I just think his punishment is too severe.
Even without the alleged kiss, if he was clearly told by the same individuals to keep his hands off in the past, I agree that it's completely not on. 

As to the punishment, since we're only hearing from him and the mom in any level of detail, I wonder if previous incidents didn't contribute to the sentence.  There appears to be a touch of reading between the lines in this statement from the school district spokesperson:
.... Hearing officers consider witness testimony, a review of the known facts, and a student's past disciplinary history — including long-term suspensions that result in alternative school placement — when determining consequences ....
Depending on the question I was asked, if I was a spokesperson outlining things that affect sentencing/sanctions, I would likely list several factors, not just one.

More "there's loads more to this than we read here".

Nice to know that kids are still stupid.  And so is this judgement.

Chinese cartoon producer blamed after kids burned

A Chinese court has ruled that the producer of a hit kids cartoon was partly to blame for the injuries suffered by two children when their friend tied them to a tree and set them on fire in an imitation of a scene from the show, state media reported.

Two brothers aged 7 and 4 from eastern Jiangsu province were badly burned in April by the actions of their 10-year-old friend who confessed he was copying a scene from "Xi Yangyang & Hui Tailang," which translates as "Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf," the official Xinhua News Agency said.

The 7-year-old suffered 80 percent burns to his body and his brother 40 percent.

The cartoon popular among children and adults features the wolf who hunts the goat and tries to prevent it from escaping, to no avail. Scenes have included the goat being plunged into boiling water and receiving electric shocks, and the wolf's wife regularly beats her husband over the head with a pan when he fails to bring the goat home for their dinner.

Xinhua said the legal guardians of the boy identified as Shun Shun, who set his friends alight, and the producer, Guangzhou-based Creative Power Entertaining Co., Ltd., are jointly responsible for the two brothers' injuries, according to the verdict of the court. Shun Shun's guardians will have to pay 60 percent of the injured brothers' compensation and the company will pay 15 percent. It didn't say who would pay the remainder.

More at link

kids.jpg

::)

Yesterday afternoon I was waiting at the Union Station Go Bus terminal to go to Stouffville.

Let me describe you the dumbest thing I experienced there while I was waiting at the terminal.

People, who were to be boarded onto the specific bus were separated under two small shelters from the huge main shelter where majority of the crowd for different routes waited.

Our bus was to depart at 1.50 p.m. and around 1.40 it was raining & our bus was not yet arrived in the platform. All of us were comfortable waiting under two small shelters.

There was a new guy  :facepalm: arrived to our area and seriously looked at the Display information for the Stouffville bus & moved close to the platform where normally  Stouffville bus loads & unloads people & all of a sudden people  including me who were comfortable staying inside the two small shelters followed him like sheep and formed a line while it was raining.

After a moment once we formed line while raining, I started realizing what I was doing and asked myself question, if it was worth becoming wet and staying in the line to just get a seat.  :-\

I asked a guy in front of me in the line about how difficult getting seats in this specific bus route and he had no idea as if it was worth waiting in the line for the bus while raining rather than comfortably staying inside the shelter.

I asked a good looking lady behind me in the line the same question & she started laughing.

I had decided not to be stupid & moved all the way back in the line and stayed comfortably under the main shelter.

I saw a couple with their little kid waiting in the line. I was wondering why not the dad or mom stayed inside the shelter comfortably with their kid until the bus arrived and joined with the partner later to get seats. I was thinking if the kid was vulnerable getting sick just in case.  ::)

Our bus arrived around 1.45 pm and everybody loaded onto it in a hurry. Once the bus started moving I checked inside the bus and saw there were plenty and plenty of empty seats.  :facepalm:

I started to think about the new guy who arrived to our platform around 1.40 p.m & how he changed the situation.  ;D

In this busy world everyone including me is competing for everything without actually realizing what we are actually doing.  :facepalm:

Leading-Sheep-Astray.jpg

Back