• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the Dumbest Thing You've SEEN Today?

Yesterday, while I was working at the hospital, some guy set off his car alarm outside the emergency doors. He could not figure out how to turn it off, or if he did, it would not turn off.  :facepalm: He fiddled with it for at least around 30 minutes or so. He eventually gave up, and drove away down the road, with the car alarm going off still.... I couldn't help but laugh  ;D

The beach volleyball court I play at (it's summer here) is located in a park within a community sports club.  The only ways in/out of that club are via lockable gates, which are normally open because there are weekend markets around the club and they use it for extra parking.  Normally, the organizers of the markets let us know to move our cars when they're about to lock the gates, so we don't get locked in.

You can already guess what happened yesterday.  Rough summary of what followed:

"Uh, hi there are 4 cars still in the carpark when you guys locked it"
"Really?  We told you guys."
"No you didn't.  We saw you looking at us, then walk away.  That was it."
"Oh, sorry.  Well can you get a hold of the groundskeeper?  I don't have his phone number but he'll be around." 
"Don't you have a key still?  Why don't you come unlock instead of having us try to find this guy while we're still stuck inside."
"Uh.....well ok.  I'll be 30 mins.  I need to sort some things out."

At 45 mins, the groundskeeper just happens to walk by and see us with our cars lined up ready to leave.  He lets us out.  No sign of the guy we called.

Dimsum said:
The beach volleyball court I play at (it's summer here) is located in a park within a community sports club.  The only ways in/out of that club are via lockable gates, which are normally open because there are weekend markets around the club and they use it for extra parking.  Normally, the organizers of the markets let us know to move our cars when they're about to lock the gates, so we don't get locked in.

You can already guess what happened yesterday.  Rough summary of what followed:

"Uh, hi there are 4 cars still in the carpark when you guys locked it"
"Really?  We told you guys."
"No you didn't.  We saw you looking at us, then walk away.  That was it."
"Oh, sorry.  Well can you get a hold of the groundskeeper?  I don't have his phone number but he'll be around." 
"Don't you have a key still?  Why don't you come unlock instead of having us try to find this guy while we're still stuck inside."
"Uh.....well ok.  I'll be 30 mins.  I need to sort some things out."

At 45 mins, the groundskeeper just happens to walk by and see us with our cars lined up ready to leave.  He lets us out.  No sign of the guy we called.

Thats gotta suck....... IMO, I would make a complaint about the person who you were talking to.... But at least you got out :)

Brandonfw said:
The beach volleyball court I play at (it's summer here) is located in a park.....
Thats gotta suck....... IMO, I would make a complaint about the person who you were talking to.... But at least you got out :)

Yes, someone should get a stern talking-to.  Stuck down in Australia on exchange.....trapped in a park.....no ice to scrape -- anywhere!!

Yes Dimsum my friend, I'm feeling your pain.

Poor muffin  >:D

We have had power outage in our area since around 2.30 a.m. yesterday.

Yesterday evening I left my apartment to get shelter in my cousin's house.

It was so weird to see how within short proximity people have different lives in the GTA.

One side of the street people were fighting for lives without power and the other part of it Xmas gatherings and fun activities were taken place.

One of my friends was not happy with me because I couldn't meet him in a party that was going on at the time, when I was running for a comfortable shelter.

I hope the power is restored for the all affected area as soon as possible.

Look at this Toronto Hydro map ->>>

34t1jko.png

UK policies on a whole seem to generate a lot of "dumbest thing you've seen today".  Here is another:

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

LINK

Mail Online
By Luke Salkeld

PUBLISHED: 09:51 GMT, 22 December 2013  | UPDATED: 01:21 GMT, 23 December 2013

M&S faces boycott as it lets Muslim staff refuse to sell alcohol or pork

Marks & Spencer's policy applies to Muslim staff in more than 700 stores

Shoppers are being asked to wait to pay for certain items at different till
Highlights divide among mainstream food retailers over religious workers

Furious M&S customers threatened to boycott the store last night for allowing Muslim checkout staff to refuse to serve customers who want to pay for alcohol or pork.

Managers at a London store told the workers they could ask any shoppers trying to buy the items to wait until a different till was available, it emerged yesterday.

One shopper said: 'I had one bottle of champagne, and the lady, who was wearing a headscarf, was very apologetic but said she could not serve me. She told me to wait until another member of staff was available.

'I was taken aback. I've never come across that before.'

Last night, Marks & Spencer said the advice had been given in error and was not consistent with its national policy.

But customers bombarded the store's Facebook page to complain, while another site was set up calling on shoppers to boycott M&S.

More than 1,500 others put posts on MailOnline.

Customer Matt Syson wrote: 'If you have Christian workers who wish to refuse the sale of ladies' garments to male homosexuals or men's trousers to lesbians, I do hope you will stand by those workers' religious or personal beliefs.

'My family and I shall no longer purchase any goods from your company due to the implementation of this “one rule system” that creates further division and hatred within our communities.'

Angela Phillips posted: 'If M&S go ahead with this they are going to lose so many loyal customers.

'If they do not want to serve people with pork or alcohol they shouldn't work in the food hall. Simple!'

Heather Playdon posted on the store's Facebook page: 'I shan't be shopping in M&S any more. The quintessentially British retailer bows down to Muslim beliefs. And in turn alienates the majority of Christian and non-religious customers. Outrageous.'

Sainsbury's guidelines state there is no reason why staff who do not drink alcohol or eat pork for religious reasons cannot handle them. Tesco said it made no sense to put staff on a till if they refused to touch certain items for religious reasons.

Asda said it would not deploy any Muslims on tills who objected to handling alcohol, while Morrisons, which is based in Bradford where there is a large Muslim community, said it would 'respect anyone's wishes not to handle products for religious or cultural reasons'.

Dr Michael Nazir-Ali, the former Bishop of Rochester, said: 'If supermarkets do  not put up a notice saying “This desk does not handle alcoholic beverages”, shoppers could be humiliated when they get to the checkout.'

An M&S spokesman said: 'Customer service is our priority. Where we have an employee whose religious beliefs restrict food or drink they can handle, we work closely with our member  of staff to place them in a suitable role, such as in our clothing department or bakery.

'We regret that in the case highlighted today we were not following our own policy.

'As a secular business  we have an inclusive policy that welcomes all religious beliefs.

'This policy has been in place for many years, and when followed correctly,  we do not believe that it should compromise our ability to offer the highest level of customer service. We apologise that this policy  was not followed in the case reported.'

More on LINK

Sounds like 'Terms of Employment'. If you want the job, you follow the rules. Don't want to follow the Employer's policies, you don't work there.

No different than not wearing safety boots or glasses when it's company policy. Don't wear them? Don't work there.

No discrimination involved.

This is no different than Muslim cab drivers refusing to take a fare from a blind person because he has a seeing eye dog he wants to bring in the cab.

He takes the fare or loses his license.

It's not about religion, it's about doing the job, the way it was agreed on, when you got hired.

recceguy said:
Sounds like 'Terms of Employment'. If you want the job, you follow the rules. Don't want to follow the Employer's policies, you don't work there.

In this case it is ass backwards.  The employer is adjusting to Religious 'policies' of employees.

George Wallace said:
In this case it is ass backwards.  The employer is adjusting to Religious 'policies' of employees.

Normally, by the time they realize the inmates are running the asylum, it's too late.

Well, the same has taken place in the US, but it's the Christian Conservatives who are stirring things up

When pharmacists can refuse to fill birth control because they believe it violates their religious beliefs, or when private companies can refuse employees certain medical benefits because the owner's religious beliefs don't allow for it, it all comes down to the question who's rights trump who's.

But can you imagine the poop tornado that would be created if a similar policy was put in place for Muslim employees at Walmart?

my72jeep said:
Sounds Like Ontario's Death tax.

yeah, but you only die once....how many times does it rain over the course of a year....

Is it based on the average rainfall in the State, or in each specific location, and who determines this? 

George Wallace said:
Is it based on the average rainfall in the State, or in each specific location, and who determines this?

The local government comrades in the council determine the rate based on square footage of sheltered property.....the more sheltered the property (see parking lots) the higher the charge....

GAP said:
The local government comrades in the council determine the rate based on square footage of sheltered property.....the more sheltered the property (see parking lots) the higher the charge....
Still doesn't answer the question.  It may rain on one side of town, but not on other.  Why is the guy with no rain, perhaps a drought, be taxed the same as someone with rain?

George Wallace said:
Still doesn't answer the question.  Why is the guy with no rain, perhaps a drought, be taxed the same as someone with rain?

The right, and only, question is why are they being taxed on rain to begin with?

The answer is, "They shouldn't be".

I'm sure it'll come to Ontario, sooner than later though.

My New Year's resolution is to hunt down the Good Idea Faerie and terminate it with extreme prejudice.

George Wallace said:
Still doesn't answer the question.  It may rain on one side of town, but not on other.  Why is the guy with no rain, perhaps a drought, be taxed the same as someone with rain?
could you see this tax in Washington  State or Vancover.
edit: Annual Precipitation  would tax you into the poor house.

Back