• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Will 2021 see a new pistol buy?

Will the CAF's new pistol be a:

• the new US service pistol, the Sig Sauer P320 (M17/M18)?

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • the British version of the Glock 17?

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • a Beretta APX?

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • a Canadian designed Black Creek Labs PX17?

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • a Norinco?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • something else?

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Quick look through CZ's offerings, only the P-10 looks like it could be close to meeting the specs, but not enough detail to know for sure. Everything else they offer has either a manual safety or decocker.
I’m not sure that the full size CZ P-10 F is available in 40 cal. The compact CZ P-10 C is available in both 9 and 40, but the compact version doesn’t meet the magazine size requirement (only 15 in 9mm).

Sig P320 seems to check all the boxes. So does S&W M&P.

So does S&W M&P.
Not likely. Victims of the Danforth shooting are suing S&W. The last thing the Liberals want to see on the front page is "Trudeau Government Buys New Military Pistol Made by Danforth Gun Manufacturer"

On 05 May, Public Works and Government Services Canada issued a tender for a new pistol (C22 Modular Pistol Project} to replace the venerable Browning Hi-Power:

The current service pistol of most of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) is the 9mm Browning Hi-Power. The design dates to 1935 and it was procured at the end of the Second World War. The CAF fleet of Browning Hi-Power pistols has deteriorated to the point that it has become unsustainable and too unreliable for operations. The security environment will continue to exhibit high volatility and uncertainty. CAF personnel, when committed to the Contemporary Operating Environment, are assigned operational responsibility over exceptionally large and varied geographical areas. Threats can originate from any direction with little or no warning. CAF personnel require a reliable and effective personal weapon and holster system to deal with constrained close-range situations. The C22 MPP will ensure that CAF personnel have a precise modular pistol and holster system that is reliable and dependable when used by personnel in operational situations from urban areas through dense vegetation to open savannah, arctic and desert under a wide range of climatic conditions.

At the bottom of the above page is a zip file that lists all the various annexes, appendices, etc dealing with the project. Attached below is the one dealing with the technical and performance specifications.

Attachments

• C22 MPP 600 DOC Annex C Pistol Technical and Performance Specification.pdf
    274 KB · Views: 17
They did produce a pistol that might come close to the requirements

QSZ-92 - Wikipedia

458px-QSZ92_-_5.8mm_Pistol_20170919.jpg

Not likely. Victims of the Danforth shooting are suing S&W. The last thing the Liberals want to see on the front page is "Trudeau Government Buys New Military Pistol Made by Danforth Gun Manufacturer"
That’s so true, hadn’t thought of that potential optic before. Shame things these days are so silly - and the media for sure would make a point of drawing a connection.

as long as Québec's economic and political needs are satisfied.

Those cowboy- and work-boot manufacturers that kept getting contract after contract for combat boots would be a shoe-in for snazzy state-of-the-art holsters.

If you reference para 3.7.1 about the Trigger Group...they have basically written this Document to knock every single pistol except the Sig P320 out of the running.

"3.7.1 The trigger group must be removable as a complete assembly."

So, basically, they have written this as a sole -source contract, without specifying it to be a sole-source, because someone out there in handgun land could have another pistol that meets this criteria...

I thought we'd learned from doing that the first time around (or maybe the second?) on the pistol contract?

Beretta APX, Ruger American Pistol and Steyr M9A2 all meet the specifications.

Beretta APX, Ruger American Pistol and Steyr M9A2 all meet the specifications.
Although I own a P-320, I will say that the APX is a nice shooting pistol. Two things put it out of the running, in my mind. First, it has an aggressive styling which may offend some gentler folk. Second, our political masters religiously believe in the relevance of polls and my poll, above, favoured the P-320.

Too bad. I've shot an M&P 9, and I'm a big fan of it.

Guaranteed that lawsuit goes nowhere. Manufacturers are immunized from liability for criminal misuse.

It's a shame they won't consider the M&P9 2.0 for replacement.

Guaranteed that lawsuit goes nowhere. Manufacturers are immunized from liability for criminal misuse.

It's a shame they won't consider the M&P9 2.0 for replacement.
Most major gun manufacturers are sued regularly and this suit will probably drag on for a long time. In this case, I believe optics matters more than features to our government.

We should go with a Sig 1911 tacops.

.45cal which is awesome. 10mm too because some people apparently like that.

9mm and .22cal option for GBA+ (small hands or don't like the recoil). Cheap ammo for practice also.

Probably fits in the BHP holsters so some money savings there.

3kqVO2v.jpg

We should go with a Sig 1911 tacops.

.45cal which is awesome. 10mm too because some people apparently like that.

9mm and .22cal option for GBA+ (small hands or don't like the recoil). Cheap ammo for practice also.

Probably fits in the BHP holsters so some money savings there.

View attachment 65170
We never had a proper holster for the BHP unless the troop bought one themselves. So much for that argument....

For Glock's claims of "supporting the troops" they sure are going out of their way to screw the CAF out of a new pistol over an $18 million contract.

Back