Author Topic: Release memo contents  (Read 10337 times)

Offline Smithy76

• Rate Post
Release memo contents
« on: January 16, 2015, 12:30:06 »
I've been in the reserves for 2 years this month. I'm moving away in a few months and am needing to write a release memo. I'm not sure what it should include, do I need to go into detail about my reasons? Another question, can memos be emailed or do they have to be paper copy? Thanks.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Release memo contents
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 13:41:31 »
What the @$#%^&&@!

Just show up at your unit's Regulating Office (That's the Reg force support staffed one) and tell them you want to release ...

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 13:59:26 »
Some units require that members put in a memo to initiate release...
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 14:11:45 »
Are you kidding me?

Then just grab a piece of paper and write on it: The date; From: me; To: Unit; Text: "I want to release now". then sign it.

Reserve personnel serve  for undefined term. Unless the unit has been called out for active duty (which has not happened since WWII), they cannot keep you in the service and you owe them no explanation for terminating your service.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 14:39:16 »
Are you kidding me?

Then just grab a piece of paper and write on it: The date; From: me; To: Unit; Text: "I want to release now". then sign it.

Reserve personnel serve  for undefined term. Unless the unit has been called out for active duty (which has not happened since WWII), they cannot keep you in the service and you owe them no explanation for terminating your service.

Wait for it........if you don't follow whatever policy they have put in place, just walk away, forget to return kit or forget to sign something, the Release Item will be a 5.f. for failure to complete administrative procedures.

Try rejoining the CF after that has happened.......
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me with an email address!  I don't bite........

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 15:09:19 »
Why aren't they filling out the usual "Request for Voluntary Release" form like everyone else in the CF are supposed to?  I seem to recall when I got out of the Reg Force, the memo was a formality to accompany that form, saying effectively "On or about this date, I will no longer feel like presenting myself for work.  Nana Nana Boo Boo.  Hugs, kisses and middle fingers, Me."

Or did I forget something - there is still an actual, formal release process to be followed, regardless of Reg or Reserve Force, is there not?

MM

MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 15:13:55 »
I've been in the reserves for 2 years this month. I'm moving away in a few months and am needing to write a release memo. I'm not sure what it should include, do I need to go into detail about my reasons? Another question, can memos be emailed or do they have to be paper copy? Thanks.

This discussion may help.

Memo for Release 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=104441.0

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 15:22:41 by mariomike »

Offline Smithy76

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 15:28:27 »
With my unit there's no form. Just a memo that gets passed up the chain of command. And if anyone along the way doesn't like it for some reason it gets returned to you to do it properly. That's why I simply asked before passing it up. But thanks to those who answered.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 15:44:01 »
Don't feel bad, that your unit insists on doing due diligence in maintaining its administration, documentation and record keeping; where other units are to often letting administrative record keeping fall by the wayside.     
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline SGT-RMSCLK

• Rate Post
  • Retired
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 15:56:38 »
Go to your unit Orderly Room.  Tell the clerk you wish to release.  The clerk will know the rules for your particular unit and will direct you accordingly.  A memo may or may not be required but there will be several forms that will need to be completed and signed by you and others before the CO signs off on it.