Author Topic: The Wearing and Location of The Poppy- Uniform/Civilian  (Read 187629 times)

Offline SprCForr

• Rate Post
Re: The Wearing and Location of The Poppy- Uniform/Civilian
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2008, 22:26:30 »
FWIW, I asked a long time ago about the flag pin and was told that the poppy also represents the sacrifice made by our Allies, not just Canadians.

True or not, I don't know but it was good enough for me.
"We don't rent pigs"

Offline marshall sl

• Rate Post
  • Retired Sergeant
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2008, 00:20:54 »
When and why did you stop wearing poppies on the head dress and move them to the tunic?
The land of hills, glens, and heroes; where the ptarmigan thrives and where the red deer finds shelter; as long as mist hangs o'er the mountains and water runs in the glens, may the deeds of its brave be remembered, and health and victory be with the lads of the Cabar Feidh."

Offline Chapeski

• Rate Post
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2008, 00:32:09 »
What is the first thing you do when you walk into a Mess, or a Legion? One removes their head-dress. By changing the location from the head-dress to the tunic, prevents it from "coming off" when you are remembering. At least that's how I was informed way back when the change came down.
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
-Winston Churchill
"Nine times of ten an army has been destroyed because its supply lines have been severed"
- Macarthur, August 1950 to the Joint Chiefs of Staff

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2008, 00:33:12 »
When?  It might have been '02, I don't remember exactly.

Why?   Because the RSM said so.  Thats all I remember.  I didn't ask him why.   ;)
"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline Chapeski

• Rate Post
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2008, 00:35:20 »
I think it was before that, I was still in Air Cadets, might have been about 10 or 12 years ago if my memory serves me right. Ditto on the second :P
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
-Winston Churchill
"Nine times of ten an army has been destroyed because its supply lines have been severed"
- Macarthur, August 1950 to the Joint Chiefs of Staff

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2008, 00:41:35 »
I think it was before that, I was still in Air Cadets, might have been about 10 or 12 years ago if my memory serves me right. Ditto on the second :P

You're probably right on the when part.  It was probably earlier, but '02 was the first year I was with the Bde HQ, and thats when the sucking of knowledge and common sense began.
"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2008, 07:50:15 »

Also, is having the little Canadian flag pin in the centre of the poppy appropriate when wearing the poppy while in uniform?  I have emailed the Cpl. in charge of us new guys at the unit, but it is a "forces.ca" address so I am not sure when he will get back to me.

If anyone can point me to any regulations on this subject, that would be great (as long as they can be accessed via a regular computer).

http://www.legion.ca/Home/FAQ_e.cfm#PR

Can I attach the Poppy to clothing with another type of pin?

There have been many queries related to the wearing of the lapel Poppy, specifically as it relates to using a Canada flag pin or other such fastening device in the center of the Poppy.

It is the position of the Legion that the Poppy is the sacred symbol of Remembrance and should not be defaced in any way. No other pin, therefore, should be used to attach it to clothing.

While this should be the practice of all Legionnaires, it is recognized that the Legion cannot control its form of wear by the public. It is undoubtedly better to wear a Poppy with a Canadian flag in the center than not to wear a Poppy at all. The best that we can do is to encourage Legionnaires to wear it properly.

We are constantly seeking ways to improve the quality of the Lapel Poppy fastener and suggestions are always welcome. We have tried a protective sheath, which was placed over the end of the Poppy pin. There were 100,000 in circulation. The Legion branches were requested to report on the acceptance or rejection of this initiative and the vast majority reported that the sheath was rejected as Canadians preferred to receive the Poppy in its traditional form.

dileas

tess
I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #107 on: November 04, 2008, 15:23:46 »
We are constantly seeking ways to improve the quality of the Lapel Poppy fastener and suggestions are always welcome. We have tried a protective sheath, which was placed over the end of the Poppy pin. There were 100,000 in circulation. The Legion branches were requested to report on the acceptance or rejection of this initiative and the vast majority reported that the sheath was rejected as Canadians preferred to receive the Poppy in its traditional form. [/color]

Read:  Those areas probably lost money as the people who got these protective sheaths never lost their poppy and therefore didn't have to go out and buy a new one.   ;D
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline Lil_T

• Make the DRMIS go away....
  • Rate Post
  • Non-compliance will be met with brute force.
« Reply #108 on: November 04, 2008, 15:46:15 »
I've mastered keeping my poppy on.  No extra backing or pins required.   ^-^

When attaching your poppy, thread the pin through your lapel/ wherever you wear your poppy, and push it through so that it's exxposed.  Then pierce the poppy with the pin (don't believe there's any regulation about that) and push back through lapel etc.  Haven't lost one yet. But my 12 year old (who doesn't do this) goes through poppies like there's no tomorrow.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2008, 16:03:09 »
Lil_T

Some friends who bought poppies in Smiths Falls were shown the same technique by the Legionnaire who sold them to them.

Offline Lil_T

• Make the DRMIS go away....
  • Rate Post
  • Non-compliance will be met with brute force.
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2008, 20:49:14 »
Great - I had to figure that one out all by myself.  Wish they all did that.
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2012, 09:48:26 »
Tis the season...

What do you all say to this?  It's what we wear where I work but I have heard some people say it's a "no go" and that the Legion doesn't like it (the theory that you can't lose poppies and buy more comes to mind):

Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline Jimmy_D

• Rate Post
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2012, 10:43:39 »
Looks like the way I where mine on my personal jacket or blazer. If we were allowed to wear it like that while in uniform, I would.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."      -       Winston Churchill

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2012, 10:46:36 »
So far so good.. we are wearing it as such where I work...
Adsum

UNPROFOR, CPSM, Canadian Forces Commander Land Force Command Commendation (Bosnia 1993), Canadian Decoration, General Campaign Star - ISAF

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2012, 10:47:59 »
What do you all say to this?  It's what we wear where I work but I have heard some people say it's a "no go" and that the Legion doesn't like it (the theory that you can't lose poppies and buy more comes to mind):
My  :2c: :  The Legion doesn't have to worry about your poppy falling off before an inspection, so pinning it in place makes sense to me.  How's your CoC with (what looks like) the bright metal outline around the black centre?

I've also seen civvies pin their poppies in place with little Canadian flags, but I can't see that flying in a military context.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2012, 10:50:08 »
My  :2c: :  The Legion doesn't have to worry about your poppy falling off before an inspection, so pinning it in place makes sense to me.  How's your CoC with (what looks like) the bright metal outline around the black centre?

I've also seen civvies pin their poppies in place with little Canadian flags, but I can't see that flying in a military context.

Thought there was a directive on that ........ AFAIK Canada Flag is a no-go
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:55:42 by NFLD Sapper »
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2012, 10:51:37 »

I've a small collection of black centers that I've glued to  brass thumbtacks. I use these with a clutch back only on my uniforms. I still loose a ton of poppies from my civilian clothes however.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2012, 11:03:49 »

The only anecdotal evidence I have so far is from one officer who said the RSM didn't like the shiny parts so he took a black marker to subdue it...I haven't heard back from him but I saw him wearing his beret and boot laces this morning so I suppose it's all good?
Adsum

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2012, 11:04:08 »
Lil_T

Some friends who bought poppies in Smiths Falls were shown the same technique by the Legionnaire who sold them to them.

I do the same thing when I'm out doing Poppy duty (as I will later this week) , especially when someone tells me that it's the second, third etc one they've recived. I lose a couple each year too, mind having a box to replenish from makes it easier ( and yes I toss money in each time  8)).

I'm aware what the RCL rules/stance are re modifying with flags etc, personally as  Legion member I find that petty. It's important one wears it and knows why they're wearing it nothing else matters.
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2012, 11:14:24 »
One of the troops showed up with a bag of black thumb tacks and the clutch thingee from the back of ribbons, jump wings, etc.  Works great.

And he was smart enough to give one to the RSM, so there's no 'fashion issues.'    ;)

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2012, 11:16:08 »
.... And he was smart enough to give one to the RSM, so there's no 'fashion issues.'    ;)
Wise beyond his years - good one.

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2012, 11:25:20 »
One of the troops showed up with a bag of black thumb tacks and the clutch thingee from the back of ribbons, jump wings, etc.  Works great.

And he was smart enough to give one to the RSM, so there's no 'fashion issues.'    ;)

See, I personally would rather see the shiny well made pin we have (that looks like the center of the poppy) than a boring black thumbtack but to each his own.
Adsum

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2012, 11:27:27 »
You don't see the thumbtack because it's smaller than the flowery-shaped black part of the pin and blends right in.

See? With budget cuts curtailing training, we can focus on these important things.    :nod:

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2012, 11:29:30 »
See, I personally would rather see the shiny well made pin we have (that looks like the center of the poppy) than a boring black thumbtack but to each his own.
Or you can give one to the RSM  ;D

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Bzzliteyr

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2012, 11:34:39 »
You don't see the thumbtack because it's smaller than the flowery-shaped black part of the pin and blends right in.

See? With budget cuts curtailing training, we can focus on these important things.    :nod:

Ah, it was my understanding that they were simply using a black thumbtack in place of the poppy center.

They glue the poppy center to it?
Adsum