Author Topic: Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread  (Read 633991 times)

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Squadron Quartermaster Sergeant
Re: Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread
« Reply #225 on: February 25, 2011, 20:47:46 »
1-5 is everyone together. Combat Arms and CSS, no matter what trade you are. On my 1-5 was PPCLI and there was truckers, everyone does the same together. The difference is the Mod 6, theres two. Mod 6 Infentry(ALL the Combat Arms) and Mod 6 Land(everyone else).

You are wrong.

PLQ LAND is for everyone in a LAND ENVIRONMENT less INFANTRY

PLQ INFANTRY is ONLY for INFANTRY PERSONNEL
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Crossfire

• Rate Post
« Reply #226 on: February 26, 2011, 11:50:23 »
Is it just me, or was it simpler for everyone to understand when there was an ISCC, JLC, and CLC?

Just a thought.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #227 on: February 26, 2011, 12:02:51 »
Is it just me, or was it simpler for everyone to understand when there was an ISCC, JLC, and CLC?

Just a thought.

Yes, but if the name had not been changed annually several high ranking persons would never have had the "Promotes change" box ticked off on their PERs.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline armyboytncoy

• Rate Post
« Reply #228 on: February 26, 2011, 12:19:50 »
You are wrong.

PLQ LAND is for everyone in a LAND ENVIRONMENT less INFANTRY

PLQ INFANTRY is ONLY for INFANTRY PERSONNEL
Well then they changed it from when i did mine because after mod 5 we split Combat arms did the Infantry one and the CSS did the Land one, theres no being wrong on that because that's what happend.

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #229 on: February 26, 2011, 12:23:51 »
When did you do yours and where?  One of the prerequisites for the PLQ Infantry besides being Infantry is you need to be qualified IPSWQ (Infantry Platoon Support Weapons Qualified).  Also on your course did you get assessed on calling in indirect fire and controlling direct fire machine guns?   
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

aesop081

« Reply #230 on: February 26, 2011, 12:50:46 »
Yes, but if the name had not been changed annually several high ranking persons would never have had the "Promotes change" box ticked off on their PERs.

Beleive it or not, sometimes things are changed for what are, at the time, good reasons and with good intentions. Not every single decision people make is driven by "leading change" (you could at least get it right). For a guy with your lenght of service and experience, you sure like to jump on uneducated bandwaggons all the time.

Then, there's the law of unintended consequences.

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #231 on: February 26, 2011, 13:03:35 »

:boring:
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #232 on: February 26, 2011, 13:44:18 »

So modularization of course delivery to serve total force needs, promote distributed courses to allow for local training and the move to standardize much of the common leadership requirements that were spread across branch specific courses had nothing to do with it?

As others have indicated, the soapbox built on the limited perspectives of your experience is starting to get stale.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline armyboytncoy

• Rate Post
« Reply #233 on: February 26, 2011, 16:36:16 »
When did you do yours and where?  One of the prerequisites for the PLQ Infantry besides being Infantry is you need to be qualified IPSWQ (Infantry Platoon Support Weapons Qualified).  Also on your course did you get assessed on calling in indirect fire and controlling direct fire machine guns?   
I did mine 5 years ago in Aldershot Nova Scotia. I did Land 1-5 I'm just getting on to my Mod 6 next month. The reason i didn't get on the Mod 6 after my course is that it was mod 6 Infantry, so All of the combat arms guys went and did that one.(arty, armoured, engineers and so on) then went regs and had to wait my turn.

Offline ArmyRick

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • What the????
« Reply #234 on: February 26, 2011, 16:50:06 »
As it stands now, there is a PLQ Land and a PLQ Infantry. I know this because Meaford (my unit) is running 2 x PLQ Lands. I am not directly involved.

Is there a PLQ for non LFC members (Air and navy)?
M'eh

aesop081

« Reply #235 on: February 26, 2011, 17:00:24 »

Is there a PLQ for non LFC members (Air and navy)?

Yes. The Air Force runs its PLQ out of ACA in Borden.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #236 on: February 26, 2011, 17:52:00 »
I did mine 5 years ago in Aldershot Nova Scotia. I did Land 1-5 I'm just getting on to my Mod 6 next month. The reason i didn't get on the Mod 6 after my course is that it was mod 6 Infantry, so All of the combat arms guys went and did that one.(arty, armoured, engineers and so on) then went regs and had to wait my turn.

Listen, I did mine 5/6 yrs ago and can tell you that all other arms do PLQ MOD 6 LAND and only INFANTRY do PLQ MOD 6 INFANTRY....
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Offline agc

• Rate Post
« Reply #237 on: February 26, 2011, 18:06:49 »
Yes. The Air Force runs its PLQ out of ACA in Borden.

Also CFFS(E), CFFS(Q) and CFNOS for the Navy and those employed outside an environmental command.

Offline armyboytncoy

• Rate Post
« Reply #238 on: February 26, 2011, 19:08:46 »
NFLD sapper were did u do yours then because I'm telling you that's the way LFAA ran the PLQ.

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #239 on: February 26, 2011, 19:12:13 »
NFLD sapper were did u do yours then because I'm telling you that's the way LFAA ran the PLQ.

LFAA
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Requiescat in Pace
    • Canadian ASL Open
« Reply #240 on: February 26, 2011, 19:17:27 »
LFAA TC is the Centre of Excellence for PLQ Infantry, for what it's worth.  In 2003, I was a course officer for a PLQ (Land), and then for the PLQ (Infantry) which followed.  I can say, with 100% certainty, that only Infantrymen were on that PLQ Infantry.  And on every PLQ Infantry that followed.  You don't have the pre-reqs to be on a PLQ Inf if you are not Infantry.

Now, they may have done a bit of a hybrid, in that you did the PLQ (Land) portion with the Infantry guys, because at one time, there was PLQ Land (Mod 6) done by all, followed by a 2 week module for the Infantrymen...
So, there I was....

Offline ArmyRick

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • What the????
« Reply #241 on: February 27, 2011, 12:26:17 »
In the CTP for PLQ Infantry (Which is a pretty much though shalt type of document) it probably states that you must be INFMN.

If a non-infantry soldier was course loaded (Special Ops Assaulters that are from non-inf backgrounds I am sure are exempt or waivered) they could not be held accountable to the different PO checks.

Another thought, maybe non-infantry guys were thrown in with infantry but course reports and standard as per PLQ Land.
M'eh

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #242 on: February 27, 2011, 12:40:52 »
On my JNCO crse, at the end of the "common phase", combat arms guys were asked if we would want to do the field phase with the infantry, due to the fact that they didn't have enough bodies left to cover off all the positions in the field.  No extra cool qualification was offered, just "completed JNCO crse".
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline ArmyRick

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • What the????
« Reply #243 on: February 27, 2011, 12:44:44 »
Check your course report and see exactly what qualification you got. That is the document to go by. Please tell me you saved a copy?
M'eh

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #244 on: February 27, 2011, 12:49:43 »
Long past the point of being important any more, the course was 20 years ago, and I've been retired since '03, but my UER update sheet just said "completed JNCO Crse".
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Stinky

• Rate Post
« Reply #245 on: March 08, 2011, 23:25:42 »
Ok gents, we got a tasking for our lesson plan today. Were are to start looking for references and I thought why not dip into the wealth of knowledge that's here as well. My topic is "Road Blocks and Access Points" the only pub i could find on the din was atp 3.4.1.1......not a whole lot to go on. So i don't want to plagiarise so don't give an actual reference just a pub if you can think of one. Thanks!

Offline topo4u20

• Rate Post
« Reply #246 on: April 12, 2011, 19:06:51 »
Does anyone know if there is a specific time frame that you have to be loaded on your residency portion of your PLQ after completing the distance learning portion? I understand the the CM has to load you. Will the distance learning expire after so long?
Thanks

Offline rookieguide

• Rate Post
« Reply #247 on: October 02, 2011, 20:39:44 »
DOes anyone know what PLQ land is looking like these days? I am to starts my mods 1-5 distance, and wondering what is happening with the field portion (length, difficulty, where upcoming courses are being held?).

MikeL

« Reply #248 on: October 02, 2011, 20:46:32 »
DOes anyone know what PLQ land is looking like these days? I am to starts my mods 1-5 distance, and wondering what is happening with the field portion (length, difficulty, where upcoming courses are being held?).

There is no field portion on Mods 1-5, aside from the day on the range for Mod 3

AFAIK PLQ Mod 6 Land is 6 weeks(Thanks Sapper).  How difficult it will be depends on you(and other students) and how well you can grasp the knowledge/skills and apply them and your leadership ability.  Because you are doing 1-5 DL your first portion of the residency portion will be the practical and PO checks for Mods 1-5 then you will move into the Mod 6 portion.  Courses are run in Wainwright, Petawawa, Gagetown, Aldershot(?), Valcartier and Shilo - I only know Reservists who've done it in Shilo, no Reg Force.

I've only done my Mods 1-5, so my info on Mod 6 is just what I've read/heard.

Pretty sure theres a large thread on PLQ, might want too check it out.  Also talking to the other people in your unit who have PLQ would be a good way to find out what it's like, what to expect, etc.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 21:28:26 by -Skeletor- »

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #249 on: October 02, 2011, 20:51:33 »
When I did PLQ 4 or 5 years ago, MOD 6 was 6 weeks and split into 2 mods, with the last mod being the field portion.

AFAIK PLQ Mod 6 Land is still 1 month long.  How difficult it will be depends on you and how well you can grasp the knowledge/skills and apply them and your leadership ability. 

Courses are run in Wainwright, Petawawa, Gagetown, Aldershot and Valcartier.

Because you are doing 1-5 DL your first portion of the residency portion will be the practical and PO checks for Mods 1-5 then you will move into the Mod 6 portion.

Pretty sure theres a large thread on PLQ, might want too check it out.  Also talking to the other people in your unit who have PLQ would be a good way to find out what it's like, what to expect, etc.

Fixed that for ya ;)
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way