Author Topic: Am I too old to join/do well/fit in? (Merged thread)  (Read 169499 times)

Offline gcclarke

• Rate Post
Re: Am I too old to join/do well/fit in? (Merged thread)
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2010, 00:32:58 »
The maximum age at which you can apply for ROTP is 47 for MARS, and 46 for Infantry and Armoured. You need to have enough time to be able to complete your variable initial engagement (the length of which varies by trade) before you reach the compulsory retirement age of 60.

And yes, a fair number of MARS types wash out. While I won't say that the "math" itself isn't a factor, it's rarely the main factor. More important is the ability to be able to quickly react, correctly, in highly stressful situations. Some of this does involve doing quick calculations in your head, but I suspect that the type of person who has trouble doing that is likely also to have trouble making other non-math related decisions in similar scenarios.

Also, if you considering a career as an officer in Her Majesty's Canadian Armed Forces, I highly suggest you start refining your communication skills now. I presume your keyboard came with a shift key. You might wish to utilize it.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.  Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘Press On’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
- Calvin Coolidge

Offline Lex Parsimoniae

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2010, 02:46:12 »
I've heard there is a high failure rate in MARS due to their training does anyone have any insights on this? is it cause of the math? or a specific aspect?
http://forums.navy.ca/forums/index.php/topic,91973.msg909388.html#msg909388

Offline CanadianSun

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2010, 03:59:01 »
Thank you for the tips and pointers.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:05:34 by CanadianSun »

Offline Linny

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2010, 17:07:52 »
I am a 47 year old female taking steps to join CF. would be interested in any feedback from current Military ranks or others who joined at a later stage in life.
I am healthy, well educated, my first career was being a Mom to 3 kids, later acheived business management level; I think that I can make BMQ, although some areas would need improvement I am confident that I can work myself up to the required fitness level, I am in the gym 4-5 per week for the past year.
any advice or feedback for someone going in at my age? this is a strong desire I have to plant my feet in something solid, disciplined and ordered in life, something that serves, something other than just putting money in my pocket;
I have a bit of Military background, my father served in the Canadian Army while I grew  up, he was posted to nearly every base here in Canada, and posted for 3 years in Germany.
any feedback would be appreciated.

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2010, 18:06:00 »
Linny, try this thread to start:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,91066.0.html

There are several other threads from people who have joined at an "advanced" age.  Also, for fitness tips, pointers, etc, look in the Physical Training & Standards sub-forum.  There are good threads there and really good ones "stickied" at the top.

Happy reading, enjoy the site and good luck!
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline j_r_42

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2010, 20:43:04 »
I just finished BMOQ in December and there was a women the same age as you....so it is definitely possible..

best of luck!!

Offline Tetragrammaton

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2010, 21:10:27 »

Only joking.

As long as you are fully committed to the course, and baring physical injury, you will successfully complete the BMQ. A good level of cardiovascular endurance and being a good runner will serve you better than say superior upper body strength. The better physical shape you are in prior to the course will translate into an easier time during the course. Joining at 47 isn't significantly different than an experienced member of the same age having to pass the physical requirements to remain operational and employable.

A few years back a small group of us would have morning physical training together. Routinely, the highest performances were from our oldest member present, who was 48 at the time. No denying that age is a factor, but it is hardly the most important.

Best of luck with your future endeavors.

Offline Saja

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2010, 10:40:06 »
Age is just a number.  I myself, am an old"er" female (45 to be exact) who has just accepted my offer for RMS Clerk - Land and head to basic in St. Jean July 10th.  Determination and life experiences that we have as older applicants will serve us well in our newfound careers in the CF.  I am so pumped and excited to be moving on to a new chapter in my life, as is my family.

I am working hard on the physical aspects beforehand so that I am prepared for basic and am confident you can do it....Feel free to pm if you want to chat about the process I went through.  Best of Luck!!!!  :salute:

Offline armychick2009

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2010, 12:42:37 »
My friends mom last year went from a McJob to Combat Engineer. She did the same as you... took a year to get really fit and she's now off to finish her trades training I believe... and she was 47 or 48. So, if that helps reassure you! :)

Offline Linny

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2010, 12:47:31 »
thanking everyone for all the feedback and encouragement. I look forward to completing the entry stages and be on my way I hope!
good to hear the success stories of other females who are doing or have done the same.

thanks again!
  :salute:

TFLY

« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2010, 13:18:06 »
Linny;  I got a lot of great advice on my original post that PMedmoe posted the link for above.  And I also seem to recall someone telling me they needed pictures....hmmmm  :-\  But I would like to add, in all seriousness, I have found the process to be challenging but mostly EXCITING.  I have not even gone to BMQ yet, but I am excited and reassured with the help of my friends on ARMY.CA. 

Comb the threads and soak it up, there is so much information here that I am sure you will receive the encouragement you need to proceed! 

Good luck and have fun!! :salute:

TFLY

Offline 2010newbie

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2010, 07:08:24 »
my key question however is I'm currently 23 turning 24 in may, am i too old to apply for ROTP...

CanadianSun:

You're definitely not too old..... I was thinking the same thoughts as you (for any entry plan - not specifically ROTP), but I was accepted ROTP for 2010-2011 as Pilot and I'm 33 (turning 34 this year)....

Good Luck.

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2010, 16:18:19 »
Too old, not at all; however, I don't know if I would recommend going the RMC route if I were you.  Seeing as how your 24 and probably going to be 25 by the time your accepted going to RMC could be a very difficult adjustment.

You have most likely been living on your own for a few years, going to RMC will mean you will be living with people who are 17 to 18 years old, sometimes even younger.  You will be living in University style dorms, with a roommate who is continuously in your face for possibly four years.  This is a very hard adjustment to make, you will be eating crap food, have pretty crap living conditions and not a whole lot of personal space or privacy.   For someone who had lived on their own for a few years transitioning to this can be extremely difficult.  I know I had lived on my own for a few years before I went to RMC and I found this to be the biggest adjustment, and sometimes it was almost unbearable.

Having said that I am not discouraging the program RMC offers; however, if you are going to go the ROTP route I strongly recommend you go through a Normal University, unless you think the adjustment won't be a big problem.

Offline Hali26

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2010, 14:21:29 »
I'm 26, i have a degree, and im thinking about becoming a MARS officer? Am I too old? Will I be the oldest person in training?

Offline Otis

• Rate Post
  • Old enough to know better, too foolish to quit!
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2010, 14:24:16 »
Ummm, not even close.

Max age for Appl as a DEO MARS officer is 51 I believe.
(If the contract for MARS is 9 years, which I think it is, but I don't have the ppwk right here in front of me)
Since I've been on the new medication, it's become MUCH easier to ignore the Stupid people.

Offline PMedMoe

is now a flat-faced civvy.... :).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2010, 14:24:47 »
Please use the search function.  This question has been asked numerous times.
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2010, 14:31:22 »
Google - site:army.ca "too old"  ---> About 431 results

Offline rbillard

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2011, 15:59:32 »
i am a 40 yr old architect that has thought a lot about this and would be interested in joining the military. is there any chance in hell? i want to go into the fray and not essentially be a paper pusher. i want to serve. let and augment my skills. do something real and worthy. thoughts?

aesop081

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2011, 16:03:08 »
i want to go into the fray and not essentially be a paper pusher. i want to serve.

Everyone who wears a CF uniform is indeed serving, regardless of what their specific duties are.

Offline PrettyMaggie63

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2011, 16:25:20 »
Everyone who wears a CF uniform is indeed serving, regardless of what their specific duties are.

Excellent response CDN Aviator, I am almost through the application process and am very hopeful to become one of those "paper pushers" and I couldn't be more proud of the path I have chosen.
As for being 40 and considering applying? Go for it, I soon turn 48 and applied in January.  Remember, with age comes maturity, self-discipline, and wisdom (for most), all traits of which will only benefit you as an applicant and your service to the uniform.  All the best to you and hope it all works out for you.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2011, 16:45:08 »
i am a 40 yr old architect that has thought a lot about this and would be interested in joining the military. is there any chance in hell? i want to go into the fray and not essentially be a paper pusher. i want to serve. let and augment my skills. do something real and worthy. thoughts?
If you think being a paper pusher isn't a contribution, remember the last time your pay didn't get automatically deposited into your account.  Like Cdn Aviator so aptly put it....
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2011, 17:34:56 »
To answer the question - go to Forces.ca, take a look around and fill out an application.  My wife joined in her mid 40's - it's nothing people aren't used to seeing anymore.

Good luck.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline rbillard

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2011, 18:26:22 »
thank you all for your input and encouragement.  i do not mean to sound negative about paper pushing, it is just that i have been doing that for a while and would like to expand my horizons and work as a cohesive team. (not that a clerical group is not a team...).

Offline GnyHwy

• Is a pragmatic optimist.
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • GO GUNS!!!
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2011, 18:40:22 »
You should consider the Engineer trades.  If an Engineer is reading, please refine my explanation. 

Structure tech (combination of draftsmen and carpenter) would be a natural fit for you.  Making an assumption that you have a university degree, becoming an officer could put you into a job with a ton of responsibility. 

As far as going into the fray with this job, these soldiers are needed to enter foreign areas in the initial phases of an operation in order to set up infrastructure.  Likely a very demanding and rewarding job.

Another Engineer trade is Geo Tech (mapping).  As far as I know, this is not a direct entry trade but, with the education and skills you already possess this may be something you might want to pursue.  In my opinion, digital mapping and info systems are just starting to emerge and have a very bright future.

If that doesn't work for you, I'll plug my own in here.  Go Arty!  We need guys with strong mapping and math skills.  You've learned how to design and build things.  Now learn how to blow them up.

In closing, age should not keep you from joining.  As long as your reasonably fit,  work on running and basic strength training and you'll be fine.  Maturity and wisdom goes a long way.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 18:51:01 by GnyHwy »
Luck is for Suckers - GnyHwy

If you're gonna speak outside the box, you should understand the inside of the box first - GnyHwy

Offline MidnightSun82

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2011, 19:46:29 »
Hi everybody,

I have a well-paid full-time job that I like - however I've been thinking about joining the Reserves for some time now (Infantry or Armored - not too sure yet).  I would also like to do the direct entry officer program given my education and overall personnality .  I need a bit of guidance about how to proceed, particularly regarding the time it takes to do the basic training and the officer training.

Essentially, I need to know specifically how long it takes so I can ask for that time off my regular work.  I understand that basic training can be done in different modules during week-ends.  However, I read that the officer training is performed during the summer.  How long is that course?  I found conflicting information on the Internet and I would like some of you to help me out.

Thank you very much for any help and tips you guys can give me.  I appreciate it!!!