Author Topic: Aviation Systems Technician ( AVN Tech )  (Read 340833 times)

Offline dan476

• Rate Post
Re: Aviation Systems Technician ( AVN Tech )
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2005, 00:32:19 »
Hey,
Can you tell me when next course is going to start?
A sign of professionalism is to be able to achieve so much with being given so little.
Never Pass a Fault - RCR

belka

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2005, 11:07:58 »
Hey,
Can you tell me when next course is going to start?

The next AVN course to start is in the beginning of April, not sure if there is one in May, but there is one in June.

Offline dan476

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2005, 09:16:54 »
Hey,
How many candidates are usually on AVN Course and also on average how long does it take to be fully QL5 qualified
A sign of professionalism is to be able to achieve so much with being given so little.
Never Pass a Fault - RCR

belka

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2005, 15:36:21 »
Hey,
How many candidates are usually on AVN Course and also on average how long does it take to be fully QL5 qualified

We have 14 on our course and I think that is the maximum. My guesstimation on how long it would take to be QL5 qualified is anywhere between 2.5 -3 years, mabye more.

Offline CTD

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2005, 20:40:54 »
starting in april, (not sure the exact date) then every three weeks after that another   AVN course is to begin. In theory any ways. The fact that the Airforce does not have the ability to handle that many students in a proper military fashion is going to make for some interesting times, for the next year or so. Growing pains then the realiziation that they cannot carry on unless a major over haul of the schools way of day to day operations is done. Intersting way to run a school. good luck and maybe see. i still have another 3 months or so till i am suppose to be done, that is to be seen though.

Offline X-Rigger

• Rate Post
  • Who says beavers can't fly?!
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2005, 14:42:35 »
There used to be many more trades for airforce techs.   There are in fact only 4 MOC 500 trades now.   Three of them you can enter from right off the street, those being AVN, AVS, and ACS.   The 4th is NDT (non-destructive testing).   You have to be one of the previous three trades, but I can't remember which one(s) it is.   The reason the AVN course went from 6 months to 18 months was because the Airforce realized that an AVN tech could not be properly trained in only 6 months (lots of feedback from the units told them so).   It just wasn't possible to teach a tech what he needed to know in only 6 months what used to take the combined old trades much longer.   In fact, the 18 months is "still" shorter than the time it would take if someone would do all of the training for the other old trades.

Hey Scoobs:

About the reason for the 18 month AVN course, you're pretty accurate.  Let me just add a little more clarity for other readers.  I was a reservist Airframe Tech from 92 to 03, so I was there when the AVN trades were still separate.  After the FRP, I had to retrain as an AVN Tech, thereby learning about aeroengine, electrical, air weapons and safety systems.  What we found at my former units (12 AMS, 434 Sqn) between, say 96 to 02, was that the apprentice (QL3 qual'd) AVN techs coming off the 6 month course had a good general knowledge base but did not have sufficicent training in any one area (i.e. jacks of all trades, masters of none).  This, coupled by the loss of corporate knowledge caused by the FRP, created all sorts of operational and training problems that have yet to be overcome.  Nowadays, those doing the training have barely more experience than those they are training.  Obvious problem, eh!  The restructuring of the QL3 course is designed to address that.  However, it'll be some time before we can gauge the success of this initiative.

By the way, NDT Techs traditionally had Airframe backgrounds, but I'm unsure what the present requirements are.

Cheers,

X-Rigger

Offline mbhabfan

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2005, 21:57:28 »
after Borden how much of a choice is there on postings?  Are they short of techs everywhere or are certain places shorter than others?  Do higher marks give you an advantage?  Before someone comes on here and beaks off about the CF priorities will come first, save it.  I am talking about after that.

Offline CTD

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2005, 06:59:55 »
CFB Cold lake is what it seems for our first postings. for our entire course, I will write my opinion on this later on dont have time now. it has to do with the 18's dispersed around the country

Offline mbhabfan

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2005, 10:29:45 »
so does anyone know what a normal length of posting that first one would be?  Just curious.

Offline CTD

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2005, 10:57:07 »
10 years

Offline Krazy-P

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2005, 14:02:34 »
I am currently a journeyman aviation tech up in cold lake, i like it so much that i am going back to the infantry.lol  good luck with it.

Offline mbhabfan

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2005, 14:54:07 »
Krazy p care to expand on that for us?

Offline Krazy-P

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2005, 21:30:48 »
the airforce sucks.  just personal opinion.

aesop081

« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2005, 21:33:15 »
the airforce sucks.   just personal opinion.

and mine is that a bad day in the air force is better than any good day i have had in the army.......

Offline mbhabfan

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2005, 07:58:27 »
Krazy P if you can't elaborate a little more than that, I am sorry I asked.  I was looking for an intelligent answer...talk to you later.  I am guessing the airforce is similar to anything else in life it is what you make of it.

Offline Krazy-P

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2005, 11:54:50 »
Sorry for lashing out, was having a bad day.lol  the airforce isnt that bad, you actually have to use your brain, not just brawn.  i have learned quite a bit in the airforce, it just isnt for everyone.  that and the location sucks, i am in cold lake. 

Sam69

« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2005, 18:48:57 »
Hey K-P,

Thanks for your last reply. I think it is important for people to remember that we all different strengths, aptitudes, and preferences. Just because a certain individual doesn't fit a particular mold doesn't necessarily mean that either the environment sucks or the individual sucks. Sometimes it is just a matter of a poor match.

The same can be said for the relationship between some people and their jobs - look at me... I'm still looking for a job that I can do half decently!!!  ;D That's the great thing about the CF, you can try something new every few years. Sooner or later you are bound to find something that is a good fit.

Cheers,
Sam

Offline Krazy-P

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2005, 22:19:06 »
Hey Sam,  very true, i to will eventually find a trade that i like.lol  after a tour or two with the infantry, i think i will be looking at another trade. maybe hulltech, comms research, theres a few that peak my interest. but while i am still somewhat young(29), i will get all the fun stuff out of the way.

Offline nelson007

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2005, 02:48:44 »
After 4 yrs as an avn , avs or acs you can OT to NDT. NDT is spec 2 pay after completing 5 tickets...thats another 4-5yrs of ndt-- on the job training. I cant wait,  I have few more years until I can OT.

Offline X-Rigger

• Rate Post
  • Who says beavers can't fly?!
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2005, 12:18:02 »
That's the great thing about the CF, you can try something new every few years. Sooner or later you are bound to find something that is a good fit. 

Well, it used to be that way.  I just had the new Terms of Service brief, and with respect to voluntary OT's you'll now owe 2 years over and above the time it takes to get qual'd in your new occupation.  Scary prospect, so plan your future wisely.  Can anyone elaborate more?

X-Rigger

Offline dk

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2005, 10:52:24 »
Just a question for AVN Techs...

I'm still in the application process, but just curious...

Someone (not an AVN Tech) told me you have to provide your own tools, and if they need replacing, they will be replaced by the CF.

Is this accurate? Thanks
"Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it."     - Dalai Lama

aesop081

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2005, 11:35:31 »
Just a question for AVN Techs...

I'm still in the application process, but just curious...

Someone (not an AVN Tech) told me you have to provide your own tools, and if they need replacing, they will be replaced by the CF.

Is this accurate? Thanks

There is no truth to that whatsoever.......

Offline dk

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2005, 13:31:15 »
Thanks aesop081. I thought it sounded kind of weird.
"Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it."     - Dalai Lama

Offline mbhabfan

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2005, 17:58:20 »
CTD

At what point did you and your course mates learn that you would be going to Cold Lake?  Are you all going there or are there exceptions?  How is your course going?

Offline mbhabfan

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2005, 21:33:31 »
also for any other avn techs if you had to chose where would you like to be posted and why?  Are some of the wings better than others as far as facilities are concerned?