Author Topic: Dress and Deportment  (Read 39814 times)

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: Dress and Deportment
« Reply #275 on: July 29, 2019, 22:15:04 »
Proper dress, drill and deportment are the foundations of self-respect, and self-confidence, which breeds other - equally important - things in soldiers under stress in times of war... e.g.,

At Apeldoorn, Major Frank Lindley found himself in a room with about twenty other wounded Officer POWs. He says "We were all dirty and unshaven and in various stages of dress and undress. The door opened and in came RSM John Lord, also a POW. He was dressed in immaculate battledress, trousers creased, and he had an arm supported in a snow white sling. Without a word he turned his head slowly to look at each individual in turn and then said in his brisk voice "Gentlemen, I think you should all shave!" He then turned about, stamped his foot and marched out of the room. The effect was electric. The motley group of officers Infantry, Gunners, Engineers etc. stirred themselves and started to clean themselves up. It was an unforgettable experience". - quoted in To Revel in God's Sunshine; The story of the Army career of the late [Sandhurst] Academy Sergeant Major J.C. Lord, MVO, MBE, compiled by Richard Alford

http://regimentalrogue.com/quotes/quotes_ncos2.htm

I have read similar things about POWs as well.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #276 on: July 30, 2019, 15:03:46 »
At Apeldoorn, Major Frank Lindley found himself in a room with about twenty other wounded Officer POWs. He says "We were all dirty and unshaven and in various stages of dress and undress. The door opened and in came RSM John Lord, also a POW. He was dressed in immaculate battledress, trousers creased, and he had an arm supported in a snow white sling. Without a word he turned his head slowly to look at each individual in turn and then said in his brisk voice "Gentlemen, I think you should all shave!"

Reminds me of the first scene of a movie I saw. An American soldier in a Japanese POW camp near the end of the war.

Getting his customary shave, manicure and shoeshine. He is wearing a long-sleeved uniform shirt. Only insignia is his unit patch and corporal chevrons. He looks sharp. His uniform is cleaned and pressed. He has 7 or 8 more. A high class wrist watch and cigarette lighter, along with an unlimited supply of cigarettes. Even has a Top Sergeant as a valet.

He looks like something out of a recruiting poster.

As you might guess, there is more to the story.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 15:20:50 by mariomike »

Offline cavalryman

Done with the demented bureaucracy.

• You can't put a pricetag on patriotism
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #277 on: July 30, 2019, 15:49:06 »
Reminds me of the first scene of a movie I saw. An American soldier in a Japanese POW camp near the end of the war.

Getting his customary shave, manicure and shoeshine. He is wearing a long-sleeved uniform shirt. Only insignia is his unit patch and corporal chevrons. He looks sharp. His uniform is cleaned and pressed. He has 7 or 8 more. A high class wrist watch and cigarette lighter, along with an unlimited supply of cigarettes. Even has a Top Sergeant as a valet.

He looks like something out of a recruiting poster.

As you might guess, there is more to the story.

King Rat, based on the James Clavell novel.  Read the book, never saw the movie version, but your quick description immediately told me who that was...