Author Topic: 2 sets of stuff  (Read 22870 times)

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
2 sets of stuff
« on: April 07, 2005, 14:50:55 »
Hey guys I've heard that it is good to bring 2 sets of everything like (toothbrush,t-paste,razor,s-cream) etc. Now wouldn't the instructor realise that you are not using this stuff and get in trouble when it is nice and clean but never used? Maybe its a stupid question but this was just a thought I had to post. Thanks for all help :salute:
We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people.
- Jul 2005
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

Offline Skinny

• Rate Post
Re: 2 sets of stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 14:58:05 »
you make it look like you used it ;) ie......for the toothpaste take alittle out of it and so on

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 15:39:36 »
Make sure you "dust" off your soap every once and a while too.
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline Patrick H.

• Paint it all grey.
  • Rate Post
  • UBIQUE
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 15:42:20 »
I bet after the instructors read this post, they're gonna double check.... doh!  :warstory:
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

"It isn't what you've lost, but what you have left." - My great Uncle Daniel J MacDonald, Veteran Affairs Minister 1972.

Offline 744-lineman

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 15:56:10 »
LoL.. I hop they don't double check when i go this summer

Offline Cpl Bloggins

• Reservist
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 17:12:08 »
You could also bring used stuff, ie. a half full tube of toothpaste (just clean out the cap), soap with the name rubbed off. Your instructors might get a little suspicious when you have a bar of soap that clearly reads 'Dove' 6 weeks into the course. Yeah and soap does collect dust, I got busted on that on my basic.

Good luck.  :)
VVV

Offline I, Citizen

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 17:36:51 »
just switch the two kits up every once in a while and that way there won't be any problems with them cathing on. they already know, what they want you to learn is to keep things quiet and work around problems, the odds are everyone of your instructors did the same thing on their course and still do. word of advice, don't try to fake the towels because they always feel them to see if they have been used or not and you don't want to be stuck with the mangy mofo's who don't shower...
If I had something important to say, rest assured, it would be here.

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 18:10:36 »
Thanks everyone I hope I didn't blow anyone's cover!! EWW some guys don't shower that is freakin' gross
We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people.
- Jul 2005

Offline Patrick H.

• Paint it all grey.
  • Rate Post
  • UBIQUE
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 18:26:21 »
Switch between kits? Brilliant!  :salute:

Cheers
Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather straps.

"It isn't what you've lost, but what you have left." - My great Uncle Daniel J MacDonald, Veteran Affairs Minister 1972.

Offline I, Citizen

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 18:27:18 »
well when you have hardly enough time to shave not many people want to go into the showers... it is known as the 'shower on a stick' syndrome.. the instructors know who it is... they are usually the ones who make it up at night by showering then...... if you are really pressed for time then get hold of quik-wipes from the mess and just use those to clean yourself off with   :D
If I had something important to say, rest assured, it would be here.

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 18:30:24 »
Good idea. Can you get up early and  shower or will you get in crap for getting up without permission?
- Jul 2005

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 18:56:09 »
I bet after the instructors read this post, they're gonna double check.... doh!   :warstory:

You do realize that all the instructors were recruits at one time too. It's like parents, were all teenagers once and therefore you can't pull off anything on them, you just think you did. 8)
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline Dirt Digger

• Rate Post
  • Mercedes-Benz for our time
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2005, 19:38:53 »
The two shaving kit system evolved out of saving time...  Even if it only saves you a few minutes in the morning (from having the ensure the cap on the toothpaste is clean, shaving cream cap clean, etc.), those extra minutes can be used making sure that everybody's bed and inspection layout is perfect.

But I agree with the others...use your towel and hang it up to dry.  That's one area of personal hygiene that you don't cut corners on.
Fighting the spread of Communism and Country Music since 1991...

Offline Bull_STR

• Rate Post
    • J-Body Association of Nova Scotia
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 07:48:52 »
I have one container of toothpaste.  It is in a hard case shell.  I hope they dont have a problem with this?
Life with out knowledge is Death in Disguise

Offline RN PRN

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2005, 08:12:57 »
Guys,

RELAAAAAAX,

First of all the early posters were right, we were all there once, yes even the Course WO. Bring two sets of shaving gear and remember the whole idea is about uniformity and standardization. If one person has it then all have it. On some courses I have been on including ISCC we went as far as going to canex and buying a big bag of disposable Bic Razors so that everyone had the same one.

There is not a trick that you can think up that has not already been  tried. There is not a shortcut that has not been attempted.

For gods sake SHOWER! There is nothing that will endear you more to your course mates than having to sit by your filthy body for weeks on end. Oh and you will Shave every day.

Standardization is the name of the game here.

Good luck and have fun!
I have spent my years under the world famous Physician Dr. Bin There-done-that and am now retired from the medical corps.
I have been to yougo as a combat engineer (CHIMO) and then another as a Critical Care RN at the role 3 MMU at KAF.

Offline TheCheez

• Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2005, 09:08:58 »
What he said.

The instructors will know you have 2 sets of crap and you're hiding things all over the place (my favourite was to stick extra hangars behind the desk and the rucksack can also hold a lot before it starts bulging). I also had half used shampoo even though I dont have hair. They issue more kit than is required for inspection and you'll have to hide your civie stuff or go to lockup whenever you want to wear it.

Also, don't hide anything under your beds, especially a suitcase. One day you might find it empited all over your room.

Offline mover1

• Rate Post
  • I wasn't looking at anybodys birthmark man........
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2005, 09:23:11 »
Thins one time at ARMY Camp.........

Offline MrRGoyer

• Rate Post
  • MrRGoyer
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2005, 09:32:56 »
What he said.

The instructors will know you have 2 sets of crap and you're hiding things all over the place (my favourite was to stick extra hangars behind the desk and the rucksack can also hold a lot before it starts bulging). I also had half used shampoo even though I dont have hair. They issue more kit than is required for inspection and you'll have to hide your civie stuff or go to lockup whenever you want to wear it.

Also, don't hide anything under your beds, especially a suitcase. One day you might find it empited all over your room.

Is this coming from experience? :D
- Jul 2005

Offline Meridian

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2005, 10:43:48 »
It really depends... but what the last few guys said, and the early guys is deadon.

Leadership has different standards than recruit division, mind you, esp since the room layouts are different, although some recruit courses sometimes are in Blue due to space issues...

Anyway; the civvy "lockup" (rarely locked, really) was a favourite storage place for all manner of things... we had already been issued a ton of military kit at Prep Year, and often in crazy amounts, so we had doubles of some things, and everything was already marked.

Honestly, the best thing I could ever suggest  you get is a hand-held sewing machine. I remember seeing one on The Shopping Channel two weeks before I left, and never bought it, thinking, Who needs that?  it was like 30$. Well, of course we arrive in St Jean, and find out you have to mark all your kit....  by hand sewing...!  We hit Sears on the weekend and still couldnt find a handheld...

Anyway, everyone generally had a second set of stuff....  the only thing I used was the shampoo I think, and that stopped about midway down, and I bought another one...    the razor can be a cheapie, etc.

and yes, course staff really have heard/seen/done it all.. and many of them are on here telling y ou so :)

Offline Dogboy

• The pride of publick school sistom.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2005, 16:11:13 »
my question is do you relley NEED to bring 2 wash kits?
dose it save that mutch time to have 2 of evrething?
or is it a waste of space
Iv got a learning disability. Iv had to deal with it for years you can deal with it for a min.

Offline Meridian

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2005, 19:31:05 »
Uhhm. a second "wash kit" is definitely not going to be the largest of your kit worries.

You can stuff a toothbrush or toothpaste, or a razor pretty much anywhere. In fact.. you could probably get it on your person and if you are lucky not even get nailed by the staff for it (I wouldnt try it, but just saying, this stuff is small).

Yes, it saves TONS of time.

Consider typical timiing, week 5, IAP:

PT at 5:05
(roughly an hour, PlCmds discretion)
Inspection at 7:10

Breakfast and showers must be had inbetween PT and inspection, beds must be made, dusting must be done, and breakfast is nowhere near where you sleep. You also generally must form up and go as a group (at least my Pl did) which adds time.

You are also 5-6 mod, with 2 showers...  and the shower walls must be dry, washroom clean....  you try cleaning your toothbrush, razor and soap, AND having the sink you cleaned it in clean and all the other stuff you have to do.

Like someone else said.. its about working as a team, critical thinking, and working through problems.

(IM GOING TO CLARIFY THAT THE ABOVE WAS FOR A IAP (Officer) COURSe and was a couple years ago. )

Carman

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2005, 11:45:13 »

Honestly, the best thing I could ever suggest   you get is a hand-held sewing machine. I remember seeing one on The Shopping Channel two weeks before I left, and never bought it, thinking, Who needs that?   it was like 30$. Well, of course we arrive in St Jean, and find out you have to mark all your kit....   by hand sewing...!   We hit Sears on the weekend and still couldnt find a handheld...

I have a hand-held sewing machine that I use for mending when we are on holidays and I was thinking of bringing it but thought that it might be confiscated or I might be told to either not use it or re-sew all my tags. Can we bring one?

Offline Meridian

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2005, 21:05:38 »
I dont know. Bring it anyway. If they take it, oh well, if not, bonus, share it with the boys.

Work through problems, people.

Also... if you are using it, make it look like you did it by hand.  IE I believe its a stitch on each side of the tape.... not a beautiful stitch pattern all the way around....   be a grey man, but if you can save time to focus on other things, do it.  My .02.

Offline RN PRN

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2005, 22:04:24 »
You asked for advise on different items and it was given freely.

You are not required to follow any advise given here, you are also free to learn on your own.

Good luck, because whether you listen to those who have gone before or those on your course with you, the result is the same. You make it or you don't.

When you do....welcome, If you can't conform then enjoy the rest of your life and don't you dare ever bad mouthing an organization that you were not found fit to serve in.

GF
I have spent my years under the world famous Physician Dr. Bin There-done-that and am now retired from the medical corps.
I have been to yougo as a combat engineer (CHIMO) and then another as a Critical Care RN at the role 3 MMU at KAF.

Offline Glorified Ape

• Rate Post
  • Managing expectations is the key to success.
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2005, 17:22:58 »
Uhhm. a second "wash kit" is definitely not going to be the largest of your kit worries.

You can stuff a toothbrush or toothpaste, or a razor pretty much anywhere. In fact.. you could probably get it on your person and if you are lucky not even get nailed by the staff for it (I wouldnt try it, but just saying, this stuff is small).

Yes, it saves TONS of time.

Consider typical timiing, week 5, IAP:

PT at 5:05
(roughly an hour, PlCmds discretion)
Inspection at 7:10

Breakfast and showers must be had inbetween PT and inspection, beds must be made, dusting must be done, and breakfast is nowhere near where you sleep. You also generally must form up and go as a group (at least my Pl did) which adds time.

You are also 5-6 mod, with 2 showers...   and the shower walls must be dry, washroom clean....   you try cleaning your toothbrush, razor and soap, AND having the sink you cleaned it in clean and all the other stuff you have to do.

Like someone else said.. its about working as a team, critical thinking, and working through problems.

(IM GOING TO CLARIFY THAT THE ABOVE WAS FOR A IAP (Officer) COURSe and was a couple years ago. )

Regarding carrying a razor on your person: I carried a Gillette Mach 3 head (just the head) in my pocket for those times when I missed a spot (and noticed after) or even FORGOT to shave (yes, it happened... more than once). So panicked was I on one forgetful occasion that I dryshaved with my buddy's Gerber knife in stand-easy ranks. The razor head came in super handy and you can get used to dry shaving with a safety razor when you're stairing a $250 fine in the face. :D

Dogboy/Carman: Just a little note on PT morning showers: use ONE bathroom and shower quickly, with everyone dropping their PT gear on the bathroom floor upon arrival back at the pod/room to soak up the water. You're not going to wear your PT gear twice in a row without washing it so who cares? Any dry pieces of PT gear on the floor when everyone's done can be used to wipe down the showers/sinks. Waiting for the shower? Start getting your room inspection ready - wipe down inspection-prone surfaces (windowsills and the bottom of the closet being the top two, it seemed), go over your weapon quickly, check the common areas are OK, HELP ANY OF YOUR BUDDIES THAT HAVE FALLEN BEHIND, etc. Most importantly, if you need help with something, ASK FOR IT. Get that habit going and EVERYONE will make use of it - no one goes through basic/IAP without help. Sharing the fate of your *** with your buddy not only builds trust but comradery and friendship too. That being said, OFFER help whenever you find yourself wondering what's left to do. I've had buddies tying my bootlaces for me on change parades and it was, in all seriousness, a touching experience. Regarding shaving, just use hot water and a your razor - I'd been doing it long before the course and it was likely the only one of my civvy habits that was actually useful - less to clean out of the sink and less time taken to shave.

More on asking for help: you're not doing your buddies any favours by being the only crappy room in the group for inspection - the instructors are likely to give your buddies crap, and possibly even the platoon, because they're obviously not helping you achieve standard. There is no, and I mean NO, period of time in the mornings (especially PT mornings) when you have nothing to do. You will become a time-management superstar and what you can achieve in 5 minutes, at the end of the course, will both amaze and sicken you.
Bureaucracy is hell.