• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2024 BC Election

Living here, I share the sense that the province has crossed a line into failed state status with regards to drugs, violent crime, property crime, eco-anarchy, rapidly spreading poverty, atrocious public schools, perversion, homelessness and a weird blend of cultural Marxism that simply fuels it all. It has to stop.
You must live in an alternate BC timeline than I do. It should be obvious that things we have done created these problems, and some of those things could be undone, except for the ones for which the estimate is situated by "oh, we can't do that" by various not-one-step-back activists. Nevertheless it's not End Days here.

I never said it was End of Days here, plus many of us in the interior are ready for that anyway! I said it’s failed state, and it is certainly the case where the state hasn’t just failed- they have purposely adopted policies that undermine the security and safety of the population. Of course it’s reversible but time and money are not on the side of the next government.

I never said it was End of Days here, plus many of us in the interior are ready for that anyway! I said it’s failed state, and it is certainly the case where the state hasn’t just failed- they have purposely adopted policies that undermine the security and safety of the population. Of course it’s reversible but time and money are not on the side of the next government.
Well, interior and coastal BC (not to mention Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island) might as well be two different provinces…

Well we went from 3, 2 and now 4 candidates for my riding

Mitchell Baker Independent
Sam Chandola Conservative Party
Susie Chant BC NDP
Subhadarshi Tripathy BC Green Party

You must live in an alternate BC timeline than I do. It should be obvious that things we have done created these problems, and some of those things could be undone, except for the ones for which the estimate is situated by "oh, we can't do that" by various not-one-step-back activists. Nevertheless it's not End Days here.
To be fair, Bill C-69 has decimated resource projects in the North, Site C and LNG Canada (done under Harper era regs) are wrapping up with very little new job opportunities for people. Mills are closing, New mines are not coming on line, some are doing ok, others in long term care and maintenance. Life outside of Lower Mainland, Victoria and Kelowna is very different than the rest of the Province.

We have a bunch of workers who cut their teeth on site C and LNG Canada, now with experience and skills and that potentiel is going to whither away quickly.

People don’t compare their situation to a place they have never been.

They compare it to how they remember things being. If things are current worse than they remember, that is political trouble for the sitting government.

This goes to something I banged on about in another thread a while ago. While Poilievre and Rustad are basically talking about reducing spending and reducing taxes, we need to spend a lot of money to fix things that are seriously broken in this country and the provinces.

In no particular order, we need to spend more in:
  • Defence
  • Law enforcement to fill all the vacancies
  • Courts/Prosecutors so cases can be heard in a timely manner
  • Corrections to house everyone who should be in prison but get let out because our prisons are too crowded.
  • Intelligence/National Security to deal with new and old threats
  • Diplomacy (REAL diplomacy, not the weak sauce our government has been putting forward since PET gutted the Foreign Service)
  • Infrastructure
  • Mental Health/Addictions Treatment
  • Housing (or at least make conditions favourable for increasing housing supply)
  • Forest fuel management
  • Flood mitigation
  • Healthcare (or fix the system so we look like your average European system that costs less and provides better outcomes)
  • Others I can't think of right now that are strictly within the purview of the Crown.
This is stuff that needs more investment to fix a lot of what's broken that falls into either the federal or provincial governments, but I'm not seeing anyone saying what they're going to do to properly fund these things. It's either "cut spending and cut taxes" or "let's make more ways of shovelling money out the door that do not address the core functions of the state".

It should not be that hard for us. We are one of the richest countries in the world, yet everyone thinks we have the budget of a third world country. I don't know where the money the government is collecting is being mis-allocated or wasted, but it doesn't make sense that we are a G7 country with services, infrastructure and general dysfunction that wouldn't be acceptable in any other developed nation.

/rant

Back