• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF Combat boots policy 2005-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dimsum said:
Quick question:

If your boots are LPO'd, how often are you allowed to "exchange" them and are you allowed to draw other types of boots (ie. CWWB)?

Not a quick answer; but why were your boots LPO'd?

If you have a Medical Chit for custom boots, then those are what you get, not the boots (ie. CWWB) that your "feet don't like".

If you are in a Trade that reqrs Safety Boots, depending on your "entitlement", you may be issued CWWB and GP and whatever other boot there may be as well as LPO boots.

I don't know your situation, and even a Sup Tech would need to know, in order to give you a correct answer.

The issue was that my feet (more correctly, ankles/calves) were too narrow for the TCB/GPB boots.  That being said, I never had a chit; Supply simply printed a form and off I went to the store.

Dimsum said:
If your boots are LPO'd, how often are you allowed to "exchange" them and are you allowed to draw other types of boots (ie. CWWB)?

I had two pairs of Magnum boots purchased for me for this deployment. My feet didn't like the issue hot weather boots - they did not fit to my satisfaction. There was no medical issue and no medical chit involved.

One boot failed after a few weeks here - one of the locking eyelets at the bend of the ankle pulled out. I had to get a form signed by the Supply Officer verifying that the boots were a special issue and so annotated on my clothing docs, then I purchased a new pair at the PX, and turned the form and receipt into the NSE Orderly Room attached to a claim.

In Canada, I presume that one returns the boots to Clothing Stores and they will either purchase another pair of the same boots or send one to the local dealer to try on whatever brands are available.

All of my other boots are regular issue. The a** f**ce Cold Wet Weather Boots did not work for me either, so I returned those and was issued the Army equivalent instead. I have not worn them yet, other than trying them on. They fit better, but if they do not work then I'll be back to Mk IIIs or my black Magnums (purchased myself) and Gore-Tex socks when it's wet out.

This thread has been cleaned up.

Lets try and do this the right way so I can enjoy my Friday night on my favourite site.

Bruce

Dimsum said:
Quick question:

We have to supply you footwear that works. If you have a foot that Clothing Stores cannot get into a boot (remember, we have over 70 different sizes now) then we are required to purchase you footwear. Some bases / wings do it differently, but the bottom line is it is our final word that says whether or not the boots purchased will be the ones you are wearing. This is key - once it has been determined that you cannot fit our issued boot, your clothing docs are annotated for all supply techs to see with something like "Member requires special order boots" - this means that if you attempt to get a pair of issued boots after you have been bought boots, you will be spoken to. This however, does not eliminate the possibility that you will NEVER fit any of our boots. Circumstances change as does foot problems and boot manufacturers.

You are entitled to exchange your boots - no matter what type they are - at any time. They must be worn, damaged (not willfully) or on a loss report (I won't get into that).

So, you can only have what you are entitled to on your docs at any given time. As far as purchasing footwear youself, the only thing I can comment on is that the boots you purchase have not been approved for wear through the supply system and therefore may not meet specific requirements as laid out in A-LM-007

I'll add a question or two.

I was ordered to the foot clinic following a Pt II medical a few years back, and given orthodics.  My orthodics don't fit into (then) the Army WWB or Cmbt Boots.  At the time, I was told I was entitled to 2 pair of special order/LPO boots only. 

This is what baffles me.  If I didn't need special boots, I would have 2 x combat boots and 2 x WWBs (4 pair).  But, what I ended up with was 1 pair of Magnum Sleaths, and 1 x pair of Bates M-9 Assault Boots (2 pair).  The Magnums suck in the winter, and the Bates are ovens in the summer...so I end up wearing the same boots day after day. 

Did an OT in 2007, change to Air DEU.  Now, I have my Magnums x 1, Bates x 1  plus 2 pair of the AF CEMS TCBs and CWWBs, neither of which I can wear with my orthotics.  So now I have 4 pair I can't wear, and only 1 pair of *temperate* and 1 pair of *cold/wet weather* boots.

What is the entitlement for LPO boots?  Shouldn't it be 4 pair, the same as I get if I could wear TCBs and CWWBs?  (FWIW, those suck too IMO).  Also, I was told I was only able to get new boots every 2 years, even if they were worn out/damaged.  (that was from the LS who was working the Special Footwear section at FLog a few years ago).

I still wish I received a footwear allowance and could buy from an approved list (that would hopefully have 10" Matterhorn field boots on it ffs).

Despite the fact that there is "over 70 different sizes now", most people will only have a "size range" of two to four sizes.  I tried on three different pairs of the CWWB (all at the smaller end of the size scale) and none of them fit.  Too narrow, too wide, too short, too long and no sizes in between those measurements.  Does that mean I'm entitled to LPO boots? 

I do have two pairs of the old combat boots, however, just because a boot is on someone's foot, it doesn't mean it fits.  Mine are actually a little large, however, they don't rub or pinch my feet and when I do a BFT, I just add an extra insole and wear two layers of socks (polypro and wool).  To save myself the hassle (and the headache) I think I'll just try to make these two (and my Magnums) last for the next four years.

Dimsum said:
The issue was that my feet (more correctly, ankles/calves) were too narrow for the TCB/GPB boots.  That being said, I never had a chit; Supply simply printed a form and off I went to the store.

And that answers the pertinent questions - you don`t fit into stocked footwear - it`s a sizing issue, not a medical issue. Two years. BUT, if the boots you were purchased need exchanging before that two years period is up, then you bring them in and exchange them sooner than that. Mind you, even with your current footwear - if they are still in good condition with no significant issues after two years - don`t be expecting an exchange (a purchase) of new boots to occur.

hey, anyone out there know where in any of the CF manuals,orders etc that it states that you must wear the issue boots? i have been looking for this for sometime now and cant find anything. is there some manual that has a discription of the boots to be worn? any help would be good. i want to end this debate at work and make every ones life easier.
cheers

There are literally dozens of threads on this site that address your question.

Utilize the Search function, and you'll find all kinds of stuff.

Army.ca Staff

CANUKDOWNDER said:
hey, anyone out there know where in any of the CF manuals,orders etc that it states that you must wear the issue boots?
It's funny how there is always a line of people looking for the published order that states they have to wear the issued boots.  You never come across anyone asking about the order for any other specific item.  "Where is the CF instruction that says I have to wear the issued combat pants? you know - because I think I'd be happier in my Levis jeans."

I always thought that it didnt matter what the Manual said - it was what the Man (RSM) said that counted!

Well MCG do you wear the issue running shoes you were given? i doubt it, (not trying to sound like a dick)they are horrible pieces of junk. now the reason not to wear those is the same as purchasing your own footwear that you are in day in and out. if you are in crappy boots they will affect your feet in turn your ankles then knees, hips, back and so on. footwear is a very important piece of kit, and if you so chose to spend your own money on a pair of boots that are better for you, and they are all black and meet specs whats the problem? I was just trying to find a little help in finding this out. i have gone through the CF dress instruction manual and there is no mention of this, or one i could not find.
thanks  :salute:

CANUKDOWNDER said:
Well MCG do you wear the issue running shoes you were given? i doubt it, (not trying to sound like a dick)they are horrible pieces of junk. now the reason not to wear those is the same as purchasing your own footwear that you are in day in and out. if you are in crappy boots they will affect your feet in turn your ankles then knees, hips, back and so on. footwear is a very important piece of kit, and if you so chose to spend your own money on a pair of boots that are better for you, and they are all black and meet specs whats the problem? I was just trying to find a little help in finding this out. i have gone through the CF dress instruction manual and there is no mention of this, or one i could not find.
thanks  :salute:

You wear what you are issued...period.

If you require other styles of boots for medical reasons they are put on your docs and are issued to you from clothing stores.

It's in the books and not the dress instructions either. Get caught with unauthorized/ non-issued footwear and there could be hell to pay.

Regards

MCG said:
It's funny how there is always a line of people looking for the published order that states they have to wear the issued boots.  You never come across anyone asking about the order for any other specific item.  "Where is the CF instruction that says I have to wear the issued combat pants? you know - because I think I'd be happier in my Levis jeans."

You and I both know that there is a difference between issued boots and issued combat pants.  The instructions regarding CF issue boot and "alternative" boots (available through but not from supply) have to be the least documented, least publicized policies in the CF.

As someone who hasn't worn an "issued" pair of footwear in over 20 years, it's a learning experience every time I go for replacements.  Cut the new guys some slack when they're asking questions about it.

You and I both know that there is a difference between issued boots and issued combat pants.  The instructions regarding CF issue boot and "alternative" boots (available through but not from supply) have to be the least documented, least publicized policies in the CF.

As someone who hasn't worn an "issued" pair of footwear in over 20 years, it's a learning experience every time I go for replacements.  Cut the new guys some slack when they're asking questions about it.

And I was..... There are a bunch of footwear threads on this site that explain all of the ins and outs of issued boots versus non-issued versus med chits versus whatever. The original poster can find the info on here by utilizing the search function (which ironically is the same thing I would have to do, to actually post the links for him/her.

I am locking this. Occam and McG can discuss this via PM if desired. canuckdownder - try the search function. If you give it a whirl and can't find what you're looking for, shoot me a PM.

Army.ca Staff

muskrat89 said:
There are a bunch of footwear threads on this site that explain all of the ins and outs of issued boots versus non-issued versus med chits versus whatever.
Well, I've now merged several of the stand-alone threads together.  There is another good discussion burried in the GP Boot thread starting here:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/50234/post-815648.html#msg815648

Here are some worth noting take aways:
MCG said:
It is not the responsibility of the health services community to validate that your boots fit.  That is the responsibility of the supply system (either through LPO or “made to measure” versions of what is in service).  Instead of burdening the supply system with a constant stream of individuals looking for unnecessary medical authorization for fitting boots (you are entitled to fitting boots even without asking a doctor).  The only time footwear should be a medical issue is when the source of the problem is the foot.

In those instances where a medical problem does require sourcing special boots, the sited reference states that it is not the job of health services to identify that soldier needs brand ‘X.’  Once the medical decision is made, it is again the job of the supply system to get the right solution (within whatever guidelines exist for LPO or ordering custom builds of issue boots).
http://hr.ottawa-hull.mil.ca/health-sante/pd/pol/word/4090-20-eng.doc

I don’t think there is one style boot that will meet the requirements of all Army users.  We might be able to come close by giving soldiers a few options, but that still remains a requirements & supply problem (not medical).

ArmyVern said:
Personnel who cannot be equipped with standard or peripheral size garments are entitled to the issue of special size items for actual requirements, not exceeding the quantity authorized by the applicable EGC.
ArmyVern said:
If fitting indicates that an individual’s foot size is not within the range of standard catalogue footwear sizes, the individual is provided with locally purchased special size footwear IAW Special size footwear.
dapaterson said:
Local purchase, paid by the Crown?  Those boots should then be on the member's clothing docs, and are issued.

Methinks someone needs to issue a soldier-level guide to boots:

(1) If they came from clothing stores, they can be worn.

(2) If clothing stores had them custom made for you, they can be worn.

(3) If clothing stores bought them for you (including an LPO that you did yourself), they can be worn.

(4) If you bought them yourself because you're a ninja-sniper-SOF-Rambo, put on the damn Mk IIIs.

So, bringing things back to the current thread:
Occam said:
... The instructions regarding CF issue boot and "alternative" boots (available through but not from supply) have to be the least documented, least publicized policies in the CF.

As someone who hasn't worn an "issued" pair of footwear in over 20 years, it's a learning experience every time I go for replacements. 
I think you mean to say that for the last 20 years, you have been wearing issued non-standard boots.  They were locally purchsed by supply and issued to you.  These are issued boots and you can wear them.

... and this thread is now one stop shopping for all discussions on this topic.

Funny, I thought this issue had died out to the more galling Tacvest - nobody really cares what you wear around where I work; as long as you got the right colour....

Infanteer said:
...nobody really cares what you wear around where I work...
And a blood-chilling wail of dispair was heard from generations of The RCR.....    ;D

Infanteer said:
Funny, I thought this issue had died out to the more galling Tacvest - nobody really cares what you wear around where I work; as long as you got the right colour....

"Where I work" being the operative words in your statement; nice for you, but not (necessarily) reflective of the thread's topic title "boot regulations".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back