• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry of Tomorrow

Haligonian said:
  I haven't found another force in the world that had a pioneer platoon, and a reconnaissance and sniper platoon as separate entities (Marines has scout snipers, 4 tms per Bn). All of them mechanized.

Not necessarily mechanized, or 4 teams per Bn, but I think you will find that the Marines "stole" the idea of Pioneer/recce/sniper platoons as separate entities from the French Foreign Legion.

I was referring to us.

The Marines have a scout sniper platoon of four teams vs our recce platoon and our sniper "platoon".  Our Sense capability is substantially more.
Marines have no pioneers.

Haligonian said:
I'd be open to putting the Machine Guns in a company machine gun section as well where a company could mass machine gun fires.  I think this would result in a higher level of machine gunnery as well with a focus on employing proper machine gun techniques.

A valid concept - German MG section used to have 8 guys to service a Spandau - they carried ammo, spare barrels, tripod, etc.  An MG is so much more when it isn't Bloggins on his belly letting out short bursts.

Haligonian said:
The Regiment holds the majority of the trucks and has the Assault Amphibian Bn.  The Regt can task organize a Bn with either asset creating a motorized or mechanized Bn.

Remember, AAV Bns are actually a Divisional asset for the Marines (like tanks) and there are only 2 Bns for the entire Corps.  I worked with Marines from 3 Assault Amphib Bn as they were tasked to support the Regiment we were training with.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Not necessarily mechanized, or 4 teams per Bn, but I think you will find that the Marines "stole" the idea of Pioneer/recce/sniper platoons as separate entities from the French Foreign Legion.

Don't think it was FFL - most modern battalion organizations are First World War/Interwar creations.

Infanteer said:
Remember, AAV Bns are actually a Divisional asset for the Marines (like tanks) and there are only 2 Bns for the entire Corps.  I worked with Marines from 3 Assault Amphib Bn as they were tasked to support the Regiment we were training with.

Thanks for reminding there.  You of course are correct and the same goes for the trucks in the Log units as well, the guns, HIMARS, and all other cbt support.  Those assets are held at Division with the Regiments being infantry pure with either 3 or 4 Bns and having these assets attached to form either RLT/RCTs in the Ground Combat Element of the MAGTF. 

I think the best thing we could take from the Marines is the integration between their Ground Combat Element and the Aviation Combat Element.  If we could get the support from the Air Force that the GCE gets from the ACE then that would put us in a different league.  I have a hard time seeing this as a possibility as the Air Force is a completely separate element without an abundance of air frames to conduct Deep and Close Air Support.

Something that may be fighting alongside the infantry of tomorrow:

Defence Tech.org

Ripsaw UGV Can Reload Itself in a Fight
by MATT COX on MAY 12, 2015

Army weapons officials recently showed off its latest effort at arming an unmanned vehicle to keep soldiers safer on the battlefield.

The Ripsaw unmanned ground vehicle, though still in development, has been tested and is capable of driving up to 1 kilometer ahead of various types of formations, said Bob Testa, lead engineer for the Remote Weapons Branch of the Armament Research, Development and Engineering Center, or ARDEC.

Rather than reinvent something, Testa said his team selected a vehicle already produced by Howe and Howe Technologies, since it had remote driving capabilities. In 2009, “Popular Science” magazine named the Ripsaw the invention of the year.

Testa and his team converted the vehicle for Army use, according to a recent Army press release.
The Ripsaw is armed with a Common Remotely Operated Weapons Station, or CROWS, a system that’s been used in combat as far back as 2004 in Iraq.

(...SNIPPED)

Some interesting thoughts on the integration of drones at the section level.

http://warontherocks.com/2016/05/an-infantry-squad-for-the-21st-century/

Back