• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberals announce $1.24B sole-sourced deal to upgrade search and rescue helicopter fleet

Geolocation can, however, be used for situational awareness. It is a wonderful tool on approach charts. Plus, we don’t carry paper pubs anymore…

147F, like 130J is fully electronic tech library as well, and also includes VR tech training.
We use it for everything… ForeFlight for charts, the checklist is in there on a secure content locker. There is are two one-page checklists that we use for normal operations on-board but they are for convenience only, the official pub is the one one the iPads. We have to carry a spare iPad for any mission requiring an overnight stop.

We use it for everything… ForeFlight for charts, the checklist is in there on a secure content locker. There is are two one-page checklists that we use for normal operations on-board but they are for convenience only, the official pub is the one one the iPads. We have to carry a spare iPad for any mission requiring an overnight stop.
👍🏼

Not surprising, the 147 lets you pull up the checklist on the centre MFD or the outboard (non -PFD) MFDs. Between notify-on-exception logic for the EICAS and things like (optional for use) e-checklists on the MFDs, it’s good to see automation being used/embraced rather than shunned.

👍🏼

Not surprising, the 147 lets you pull up the checklist on the centre MFD or the outboard (non -PFD) MFDs. Between notify-on-exception logic for the EICAS and things like (optional for use) e-checklists on the MFDs, it’s good to see automation being used/embraced rather than shunned.
I totally agree.

I was just taking a jab at the previous rules that, in effect, made it less safe because we were using "paper map/finger" while low-level and close to Cumulus Granitus, rather than using the electronic charts.

I totally agree.

I was just taking a jab at the previous rules that, in effect, made it less safe because we were using "paper map/finger" while low-level and close to Cumulus Granitus, rather than using the electronic charts.
Some communities still think that the paper version is the only official version, they clearly haven’t kept up with the FOM changes.

Electronic charts are not to be used for navigation
The military truly is one hilarious adventure after another 😅

“No life like it!”

(Do we have a new motto to go with the cool new recruiting commercial? If not, what’s old is new again…)

The military truly is one hilarious adventure after another 😅

“No life like it!”

(Do we have a new motto to go with the cool new recruiting commercial? If not, what’s old is new again…)
To be fair, the "not to be used for navigation" isn't a military thing.

It was a regulatory thing - I think it was NAV CANADA's rule.

To be fair, the "not to be used for navigation" isn't a military thing.

It was a regulatory thing - I think it was NAV CANADA's rule.
NavCanada isn’t a regulator. There are two air regulators in Canada: DND and TC. We are also not bound by the standards that TC publishes. We publish our own (including for certification), although we heavily borrow from other regulators (too often civilian regulators imo). It is acknowledged by pretty much all regulators around the world that you should only use positional data from a tablet as situational awareness only as it is not certified for anything more than that.

Question from the institutional crayon eater:

So when you navigate an aircraft from point A to point B what nav charts/maps do you use?

Back