• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Logistic Vehicle Modernization Project - Replacing everything from LUVW to SHLVW

Outsider here. I know the Army has struggled to find the right role for the TAPV but, in terms of design, Where did it go wrong? Did we choose an inherently bad platform, or take a decent platform dink around with it too much? I understand the roof-mounted spare and crane adds upper level weight but, in the overall design, does it make that much of a difference?
There's a litany of problems. Some are no ABS (especially scary in the winter), using it for purposes it's not designed for, poor material quality in intricate mechanisms like the doors, poor QC, overweight for the transmission, although that last one is hearsay on my part.

Most modern vehicles are garbage, reliability in vehicles peaked around the end of the 20th century. Regulations, marketing and accountants have driven the reliability factor into the ground.

You want diesels that don't have EGR valves, fuel solenoids, use DPF. You want body panels that are simple to produce. Simple transmissions, even if they are automatic. Make sure your axles and suspension components are beefy. Modern braking systems are ok.
The same arguments about reliability have been made about every advance in technology. Yet there is a reason we don't still go to war in Chariots, wearing bronze armour.

Modern vehicles are reliable enough, and more efficient. The less fuel you burn to get the job done, the less fuel you need to transport to the front to keep the vehicles moving.

The same arguments about reliability have been made about every advance in technology. Yet there is a reason we don't still go to war in Chariots, wearing bronze armour.

Modern vehicles are reliable enough, and more efficient. The less fuel you burn to get the job done, the less fuel you need to transport to the front to keep the vehicles moving.
I will utterly disagree with you. Toyota is about to spend an astronomical amount to replace engines in their pickup trucks. Almost every CVT transmission is failing earlier. Every car brand has at least one dud engine in their lineup. Honda, a stalwart of reliability has gone from 1st to 15 in the reliability list. Engines are being built to lightly for the hp that they try to squeeze out of them. Cars are becoming to expensive to fix. Older EV may become uninsurable due to fire risks. I think it's GM that has a engine which has a bolt that when it comes loose, drops into your intake manifold and grenades the engine.

I will utterly disagree with you. Toyota is about to spend an astronomical amount to replace engines in their pickup trucks. Almost every CVT transmission is failing earlier. Every car brand has at least one dud engine in their lineup. Honda, a stalwart of reliability has gone from 1st to 15 in the reliability list. Engines are being built to lightly for the hp that they try to squeeze out of them. Cars are becoming to expensive to fix. Older EV may become uninsurable due to fire risks. I think it's GM that has an engine which has a bolt that when it comes loose, drops into your intake manifold and grenades the engine.
The difference is today’s vehicles can be diagnosed with a monitor and parts swapped out.

I will utterly disagree with you. Toyota is about to spend an astronomical amount to replace engines in their pickup trucks. Almost every CVT transmission is failing earlier. Every car brand has at least one dud engine in their lineup. Honda, a stalwart of reliability has gone from 1st to 15 in the reliability list. Engines are being built to lightly for the hp that they try to squeeze out of them. Cars are becoming to expensive to fix. Older EV may become uninsurable due to fire risks. I think it's GM that has a engine which has a bolt that when it comes loose, drops into your intake manifold and grenades the engine.
Vehicles always had massive recalls, and always had lots of failures. We hear about them more now because instead of Toyota owners getting a letter, and a one day TV news item, it's on the internet and fed to you by an algorithm that determined that people in your demographic like engage with those stories.

There are lots of newer engines and transmission that run for more than 100K miles before having issues. Honda has dropped not just because they aren't quite as good as they used to be, but because everybody else (except Stelantis) is catching up. Hyundai and Kia make better vehicles now than Ford and GM did in the late 90s-early 00s.

People love to claim that cars were "better" back in the day, but it doesn't align with reality. What cars did better back in the day was hide their faults until something blew up. Today's the cars tell you something is wrong before it blows up, so you can fix it.

Also, as @KevinB highlighted, vehicles today tell you exactly what is wrong and what to fix. You don't have to hope your mechanic/Veh Tech is a savant.

Vehicles always had massive recalls, and always had lots of failures. We hear about them more now because instead of Toyota owners getting a letter, and a one day TV news item, it's on the internet and fed to you by an algorithm that determined that people in your demographic like engage with those stories.

There are lots of newer engines and transmission that run for more than 100K miles before having issues. Honda has dropped not just because they aren't quite as good as they used to be, but because everybody else (except Stelantis) is catching up. Hyundai and Kia make better vehicles now than Ford and GM did in the late 90s-early 00s.

People love to claim that cars were "better" back in the day, but it doesn't align with reality. What cars did better back in the day was hide their faults until something blew up. Today's the cars tell you something is wrong before it blows up, so you can fix it.

Also, as @KevinB highlighted, vehicles today tell you exactly what is wrong and what to fix. You don't have to hope your mechanic/Veh Tech is a savant.
Hyundai had massive engine failures and also a paint issue from 2015 (We almost bought one when our Honda got wrecked, thank god we didn't). Price, reliability and features peaked roughly early 2000. The current fuel economy and environmental regs, along with the demand for more horsepower from smaller engines is leading to major failures. Fuel economy regs led to the adoption of 0/30 oils which are bad for your engine long term life, but gives a smallish boost to fuel economy. Extended service times, leads to fuel dilution of lubricating oils and premature transmission failures.

Hyundai had massive engine failures and also a paint issue from 2015 (We almost bought one when our Honda got wrecked, thank god we didn't). Price, reliability and features peaked roughly early 2000. The current fuel economy and environmental regs, along with the demand for more horsepower from smaller engines is leading to major failures. Fuel economy regs led to the adoption of 0/30 oils which are bad for your engine long term life, but gives a smallish boost to fuel economy. Extended service times, leads to fuel dilution of lubricating oils and premature transmission failures.
They had massive engine failures in one particular engine, for a few years. Was it a big problem? Yes. Was it the first time a manufacturer had made a dud engine? No.

I know I'm not going to change your mind on this, and am not going to waste the time to dig up the old pre-internet articles outlining all of the issues with various brands over the decades. So let's just call this derailment a draw and move on.

Agree on the second point. Squeaking numbers out of the their CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Efficiency) rating has driven all of the manufacturers to go with lighter, more complex engines and CV transmissions.

We've had two Hyundais in that period. The current one has had a few recalls to re-flash the ECM. So far so good. One thing I learned is always use an OEM oil filter. One the first car, after the first oil change, it sounded 'rattley', so I did some reading and swapped out the filter to OEM. I don't know what the issue is but stayed the course ever since.

Our Corolla is 10 years, 108k km, and still on the original brake pads.

Driving like an idiot has impacts on your car...
We had a 2000 Mazda Tribute (first year/first generation, when they were re-badged Escapes). It still had drum brakes on the back. I had the front discs changed around 160K and sold it at about 210K with the original drums brakes still installed.

Back