• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Steward: Training/the work (merged)

JMURP said:
Just wanted to inform those wondering about where you will go after BMQ for your Steward training. You will be indeed going to Halifax. It was in Borden, but has moved. You won't be sent west coast either.

Although the training may all be in Halifax now, some of the graduates will be sent to the West Coast afterwards.

Just some information, SVP.
Is this an open trade?
Are there any QL 3 or basic trade courses going through at present or in the near future?
Thanks.

Hey guys! I was merit listed earlier this month for Steward, just waiting now for the national selections  :D  (or that's what the recruiting centre said anyways, I wish I knew when they would be....)

As far as I'm aware there are only 3 open trades at the moment. Steward and Supply Tech are the only ones I can remember though, sorry... Ask your recruiting centre? They should have that information.

Has anyone else been merit listed?

Hi<

I just got a job last week at navy.. as a steward.. I live Montreal, and all my family is here.. so a bit nervous about where is the ports.. how this work in general,, how many days u can be home after when u come back from sea...  Don't even know what to expect.. Please anybody HELP!!!

Also where usually ships are going?? They say it can be up to 4 month at sea.. but where? Destinations i mean..

p.s. and going to BT in January 19 to St-Jean.. 

http://www.forces.ca/fr/job/steward-81

I would hazard a guess that after your training in Borden, ON you can expect to be posted to Halifax, NS or Esquimalt, BC (Vancouver Island).

As of 2010, Steward MOS training is now done in either Halifax or Esquimalt, no longer in Borden.

If you search the site, there are many discussions that have already covered many of the trade's Q&A.

I'm currently awaiting an answer from Ottawa on my AVOTP to Steward.

I'm wondering if there is any new information out there concerning the day to life of stewards.

Two burning questions I have is what financial system is used by them for there NPF accounts?

And how much knowledge is needed to work behind the bar, do we get a cheat sheet or must know even cocktail in the book?

GreenMarine said:
I'm currently awaiting an answer from Ottawa on my AVOTP to Steward.

I'm wondering if there is any new information out there concerning the day to life of stewards.

Two burning questions I have is what financial system is used by them for there NPF accounts?

And how much knowledge is needed to work behind the bar, do we get a cheat sheet or must know even cocktail in the book?

I have sailed on a lot of ships and I have never seen a Steward mix a drink.  That is what subbies are for.

Basically, in every Wardroom I have ever been in, the Stewards try to keep the bar stocked, while the wardroom members try to empty it.  It is a bit of a game.

Hey all I was just wondering if I can get some more information for Steward (Maybe from first hand experience), I only really know what the (forces.ca) website has provided and it wasn't very much. I really want to get a little bit more information for when I get to the interview stage so I stand out a little more.

AlphaBravo said:
Hey all I was just wondering if I can get some more information for Steward (Maybe from first hand experience), I only really know what the (forces.ca) website has provided and it wasn't very much. I really want to get a little bit more information for when I get to the interview stage so I stand out a little more.

Steward Training  ( 1 )
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/98738.0.html

Steward training? ( 2 )
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/80018.25

Navy Steward 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/94584.0

Wanted: A Steward's Insight 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/81846.0

Any Stewards here?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/108579.0

SeaKingTacco said:
I have sailed on a lot of ships and I have never seen a Steward mix a drink.  That is what subbies are for.

Basically, in every Wardroom I have ever been in, the Stewards try to keep the bar stocked, while the wardroom members try to empty it.  It is a bit of a game.

you must have not done a GLD because i've mixed more drinks in my short career than i'd care to remember.

GREEN MARINE, i'm a steward currently in the trade, let me know if you've got any questions....PM INBOUND.

Great Lakes Deployment.
a recruiting/publicity campaign usually a few ships sail around the cities of the great lakes and open the ship up for tours every summer.
every port there is a cocktail party...bane of my existence.

Of course. Thank-you. No, never had the pleasure.

Mind you, I have had one or two laps around the Pacific Ocean and, now that you mention it, during flight deck cocktail parties, I have seen Stewards run the bar.

I will stand by my position that I have rarely, if ever, seen a Steward behind the bar in the Wardroom of a West Coast ship.

milnews.ca said:
:crystalball:  I see a merge coming ....

Milnet.ca Staff

Yay all the knowledge at my finger tips... and Yes SeaGully I'll shoot you a PM when I got some questions done up. Good ones not the silly ones like "I've heard the Steward trade is dead or being cancelled." (If I had a penny for each time I heard X trade is being merged or discontinued I'll I may have a dollar.)

And SeaKing... The MS and Below Log dept (males) were in the same mess and their stories is how I know Stewards get some training to serve and mix drinks. Why else could they prey on the junoir officers for free drinks while in foreign ports and then serve the same officer the next night when the VIPs come for some party.

Either way I'm waiting on Ottawa for my AVOTP, so I shouldn't get my hopes to high at this point. 

I had a question about Steward and was actually unable to find it, but do you start off with the Navy then down the road get to choose Air Force? Or can you choose the Air Force from the get go?

Steward is considered a hard sea trade. That said, as many serve Army and AF as Navy.

Back