• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Steward: Training/the work (merged)

gijesso said:
Huh , well.. that sucks? I still want to though :)

Can anyone go into detail about the QL2 .. and im guessing everyone has to take the naval training. Im still really lost about the Navy , wasnt raised around it , so if someone could ad a little tid bit on that.. thatd be superb.

jesso

I'm going to guess that you mean reg force, in which case the initial traingin would be:

1.  Basic military training, 10 or 13 weeks or whatever it is now, probably in St. Jean, Quebec

2.  On to your QL3 training, which is basic trades training.  It's not very long for stewards, on the order of seven weeks or something.  Stewards train in Borden if I recall correctly.

3.  Stewards seem to get their first posting to one of the accomodation buildings on either the east or west coast.  You're there for a few months for on the job training, then get loaded on a Naval Environmental Training Plan (NETP) course, which I do believe is seven weeks long.  You get very basic instruction on how stuff works on the ship, linehandling, small arms, sea survival, naval firefighting and damage control, and so on.  Then you go to a ship for a good portion of your career, although I don't know what the steward career arc loks like from there.  Once on the ship you'll do a consolidation package for your NETP course, which has to be signed off by various people after you demonstrate some practical knowledge of task (helmsman, lookout, engineering roundsman, etc).  Presumably you also do a QL4 package, which is generally a practical version of your QL3.

4.  After a couple/few years, you do a QL5, which is advanced trades training.  Then other posting opportunities open up.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if your eyesight is so bad that you only qualified for three trades, then you most likely will not be acceptable as a Flt steward. In order to qualify to fly as a member of any aircrew you have to pass the aircrew medical(it is pretty much the same as the diver medical.) This would include a vision test. I am not sure of the exact requirements cause I don't have CFAO's at home, but I believe the minimum vision req, is a v2. Basically if you can't see without your glasses, you aren't eligible. I will check CFAO's tomorrow at work and confirm what I said for you.
Take care
Feet :cdn:
P.S. Everyone knows that we only rent out the rest of the ops room to the NES OPs and the SONAR OPs. We keep the good real estate for ourselves and we don't stand upper deck watches.

M Feetham said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if your eyesight is so bad that you only qualified for three trades, then you most likely will not be acceptable as a Flt steward. In order to qualify to fly as a member of any aircrew you have to pass the aircrew medical(it is pretty much the same as the diver medical.) This would include a vision test. I am not sure of the exact requirements cause I don't have CFAO's at home, but I believe the minimum vision req, is a v2. Basically if you can't see without your glasses, you aren't eligible. I will check CFAO's tomorrow at work and confirm what I said for you.
Take care
Feet :cdn:
P.S. Everyone knows that we only rent out the rest of the ops room to the NES OPs and the SONAR OPs. We keep the good real estate for ourselves and we don't stand upper deck watches.

V3 for aircrew other than pilot.......(at least in my MOC)

Is this confirmed?

Breakin' my little heart guys , breakin my little heart!

And thanks for the info on how it will all work ( after BMQ ). I thought I had to do some sort fo a QL2 afterwards. Not what I expected , I thought I would be going on ship asap . Ahh the things recruiters tell you to go into certain trades! :( Ha ha.

aesop081 said:
V3 for aircrew other than pilot.......(at least in my MOC)

To be a little pedantic:
V3 unrestricted for all but ANAV, which is V3 restricted (-2 sphere, if memory serves.  It's on the DRDC site anyway).  Pilot has a bunch of quid pro quo and caveats and whatever, but all apply to currently or previously serving pilots so aren't of concern (down to V4 if I recall correctly!).

gijesso, I would seriously look into laser vision correction, here.  It doesn't disqualify you from anything outside of Pilot, and it would open up a whole wide world of trades.

Very true. Will do , Doc says my eyes are a perfect candidate for it , finally something my eyes qualify for! haha

Buahahaha. Yeah , I know! Can I buy an eye patch anyways? haha!

Yes I know you have to be trained I just want to know what the training is about.. and considering you know so much about it you should inform me haha  ;D

Update:

Leave for BMQ August 26 , course starts the 28th

PRETC/ Pat whatever you want to call it , Borden , 3 weeks , Nov 10th

Home for leave

Back to 'er for QL3 in Borden

Then apparently going to Esquimalt for NETP ..

Still researching NETP , anyone have any good advice for this course?

Thanks!

JESSO

gijesso said:
Update:

Leave for BMQ August 26 , course starts the 28th

PRETC/ Pat whatever you want to call it , Borden , 3 weeks , Nov 10th

Home for leave

Back to 'er for QL3 in Borden

Then apparently going to Esquimalt for NETP ..

Still researching NETP , anyone have any good advice for this course?

Thanks!

JESSO

Drink lots of coffee to avoid falling asleep from all the powerpoint, enjoy the damage control school, and keep your dress and deportment to a very high standard as the chiefs who run the Seamanship division are very pusser and the PLQ students who take their classes there are ready to pick you up on anything.  ;D

Damage Control school is lots of fun. Serious business, but a work out and one of those cool things that most people don't get to do. The food is pretty good too.

One of the best things about Navy, living in Victoria or Halifax for the most part... Not getting stuck in Cold Lake or Shilo or <insert other fun army/airforce base>

Gijesso, you might want to get your eyesight fixed, I don't think it would matter much as an aircrew as it would for a pilot. Plus there is a great place for that in Vancouver (from what I've been told by my optometrician (sp?))

My first post yay.. I only got to read the first and last posts to this but as for the bad eye sight keep in mind if you get laser eye sugery (lasik) your medical cannot be completed for 90 days. I got it Aug 3 because i couldnt apply for naval weapons subsidized and although i can see about 20/20 right after still waiting. When my medical is eventially completed it will still be days behind final cut :(...I hope it works out grr

JDnav said:
My first post yay.. I only got to read the first and last posts to this but as for the bad eye sight keep in mind if you get laser eye sugery (lasik) your medical cannot be completed for 90 days. I got it Aug 3 because i couldnt apply for naval weapons subsidized and although i can see about 20/20 right after still waiting. When my medical is eventially completed it will still be days behind final cut :(...I hope it works out grr

"GOT" to read?  Short of time are you?  Or are your eyes still bothering you?  Welcome to the boards, but it is suggested that you familiarize yourself with complete threads...observe and learn.

Sorry about that theodor : ) Thats an awesome picture, so much id like to read Mich I went lazy on the bulk and just wanted to point out the eyes being fixed regulations thing. See ya around!

I got a question about the navy, didn't find anything in the other threads about it either.

What is the working schedule on a ship, I heard something about 7-5 ?

Can someone explain a bit ;) and also with more insight on the schedules for people in the ops trade (NES, NCI, SON)

Thanks

Collin.T said:
I got a question about the navy, didn't find anything in the other threads about it either.

What is the working schedule on a ship, I heard something about 7-5 ?

Can someone explain a bit ;) and also with more insight on the schedules for people in the ops trade (NES, NCI, SON)

Thanks

It will depend on whether you are alongside or at sea. 

At sea, you are in a watch rotation, typically 1-in-2 for the Reg F ships.  This means that the watches are 0800-1300/1300-1800/1800-0100/0100-0800.  The 1in2 means that you stand one watch, off for the next watch, stand a watch and off again.  In your off-time, you will pretty much just be eating and sleeping, as well as getting ready for your next watch.

While you are alongside, it will be dependent on the ship's routine.  Most ships work from 8ish-4ish.  If the ship is getting ready for a deployment or exercise of any sort, expect longer days.  If it is a regular working day, expect 7-8 hours.  If it is during a leave period, expect things to be slack.  As well, most ships will give "sliders" on a Friday.  Sliders means getting off early, or "sliding" out of work.  Typical sliders are leaving at noon, well some will joke about certain ship sliders where you get off ooohhhh 10 mins early....LOL.

Your day alongside (as well as at sea too) is also dependent on your trade.  What I have mentioned above should be fairly common for ops trades.  If you are a comm, you might be scheduled as "message centre dayman" (do they still have those??) in which case you go in early and leave early.  This would also follow for the early cook and steward, which there is also a late one of those too.

If you are on duty, you will be required to be onboard for 24 hrs.

There is nothing set in stone that is a fleet-wide practice of working days.  Even on a single ship, it can (and will) change from day to day.  But that should give you a basic idea of what to expect!

Sorry Collin T, the watch system for SONAROPS and all the others is the same, but there is a slight error in the timings that navymich gave.  West coast 1 in 2 runs 0730 to 1230, 1230 to 1730, 1730 to 0030 and 0030 to 0730.  I know this is not what is in SSOs, but this is what every ship I sailed on was doing, and there were three of them.

Well this is it, I'm in, really short notice too, got my call on the 20th of september, leaving for Victoria on Oct 8

Back