• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The brown Temperate Combat Boot (AKA: Mk IV Cbt Boot) - No longer CADPAT

Eye In The Sky said:
That is just not on IMO.

Who 'advised' you that?

My CoC unfortunately. I asked about using my boots that I use in my civvy-side job as they're nearly identical to most patterns of CF combat boot and was told "...not unless you get a chit..."

I would sooner wear old tattered boots before I lace up junk wet weathers. They should issue those boots with CF-98's, complaint forms, and VA contact information. Worst footwear I have ever seen. It's garbage like this that the reg force is releasing at a rapid rate. We can't even give basic soldier kit to our front line units.

I really just want to go on an angry rant right now but I know it will achieve nothing.

PrairieThunder said:
My CoC unfortunately. I asked about using my boots that I use in my civvy-side job as they're nearly identical to most patterns of CF combat boot and was told "...not unless you get a chit..."

Had you not heard about the "don't ask, don't tell" policy in the CAF?

PrairieThunder said:
Did my weekly call to Stores to see where my boots are at, no Doo-Doo Boots (or even Mk4's) and Doc won't give me a boot chit. I've been advised I must wear my "Boots, Combat, Wet Weather" until further notice.
You're still better off than some of the guys on my DP1 course.

They only had steel toed boots...

Sadukar09 said:

I saw the same thing while I was teaching. Shameful.

But guys, we have pips and crowns! And a new Int.Com or something or other..... :facepalm:

Bzzliteyr said:
Had you not heard about the "don't ask, don't tell" policy in the CAF?

But I have a guilty conscience sometimes, and knowing my luck, I'd be that one guy that gets noticed and receives a ripe jacking.

Sadukar09 said:

Steel-toes would be better than using wet-weather boots in hot dry weather.

Although it would better than the new troops doing courses in running shoes because they don't have steel-toes OR WW.

Its pretty sad.
I'm going back to my doctor to plead my case again and get a chit. Rather be safe than sorry.

PrairieThunder said:
Steel-toes would be better than using wet-weather boots in hot dry weather.

I had troops on a BMQ-L this summer actually start developing trench-foot because they had 1 set of boots which happened to be CWW Boots. First 8 km march and their feet were hamburger.

PuckChaser said:
I had troops on a BMQ-L this summer actually start developing trench-foot because they had 1 set of boots which happened to be CWW Boots. First 8 km march and their feet were hamburger.

Completely unacceptable

OH!! BUT WAIT...

Jim Seggie said:
But guys, we have pips and crowns! And a new Int.Com or something or other..... :facepalm:

;)

PuckChaser said:

I'd also hazard to guess they weren't powdering and airing out their feet, changing their socks, etc.  My experience these days is that people aren't taught (or not paying attention to what's being taught) to look after their feet properly and leaders aren't ensuring that people are looking after their feet properly...and blame the foot wear instead for all their ills instead of accepting some of it themselves.  Summer trench foot isn't a result purely of the CWW - I've seen it plenty in the MKIII and other boots - it's usually a result of poor foot maintenance in people that sweat a lot and don't dry themselves out.  I used to use my Cold Wet Weather boots in Dry Warm Weather all the time because the soles were a little easier on my knees - my feet, which sweat a lot, were generally drier because the GoreTex does its job and wicks a lot of the moisture away. 

:2c:

MM

We had a PRes Med-A who was doing his BMQ-L after QL3 training running a foot parade every day for these guys, and I lost track of how many times I'd walk down the trench line to see them airing their feet out. It may not have just been the boots, but the sizing as well. Loose boots + heat + field conditions = bad news. I originally thought the same as you, that they weren't taking care of their feet, but when you start a field ex by having most of the surface area of your heel as a blister, it simply gets worse and worse.

PuckChaser said:
We had a PRes Med-A who was doing his BMQ-L after QL3 training running a foot parade every day for these guys, and I lost track of how many times I'd walk down the trench line to see them airing their feet out. It may not have just been the boots, but the sizing as well. Loose boots + heat + field conditions = bad news. I originally thought the same as you, that they weren't taking care of their feet, but when you start a field ex by having most of the surface area of your heel as a blister, it simply gets worse and worse.

It we be interesting to see some stats from that experience appear in an article somewhere.  :nod:

daftandbarmy said:
It we be interesting to see some stats from that experience appear in an article somewhere.  :nod:

What MM has stated about foot care is applicable.
Last night I said to the assemble O Gp that if troops are bitching about equipment and all they can say is "This sucks" - that doesn't get things fixed.

UCRs need to be submitted.

PuckChaser said:

Loose boots definitely = more blisters...which makes me wonder if some people were not wearing socks properly, etc as well...you know - "it's hot out, don't want to wear too much on my feet" kind of deal.  Yeah, you'll never get a perfect fit, but if it's just off, socks can off set that.  I've covered marches before where people's heels literally had to be glued back together - a large part of the issue was a combination of poor foot conditioning (ie - marching) and poor foot maintenance - boot fitting was a tertiary problem generally. 

MM

I completely agree that troops need to know how to better wear and care socks and boots. I seen new troops showing up thinking the thin black socks were just a summer sock. Had to shake my head on that one.

However much I try the CWWB is still a piece of s**t boot and even with all the proper breaking in and care it still fails my usability testing. I would rather spend my own money for better boots or NEOS if I'm just looking for something waterproof. Even purchasing a new pair of SWAT's yearly is better as THEY LAST A WHOLE YEAR! Unlike our brown boots that failed trials and were supposed to be disposed of but ended up being issued (maybe a rumor). At least CP gear can give me some basic kit when I require it for a price.

Lastly... When I see troops doing capsize drills with assault boats wearing steel toes it makes me cringe when they tell me it's all they have. That goes beyond knowing foot care. Marching around Gagetown all summer in steel toes is just cruel. Especially when your second pair of boots is the CWWB. There is a reason they have them left in stock. No one wants them.

bananaman said:
However much I try the CWWB is still a piece of s**t boot ...
Do you mean to be commenting about the Air Force boot?  The Army instead has the WWB.

Adding to the chorus:

Currently teaching on a week end BMQ. Troop tripped and got injured in the subsequent fall. One of the root cause of this incident is that boots in the correct size were not available, larger boots were issued. Troop might not be able to complete training due to injury.

Recruit was enrolled as a supply tech, of all thing.

And yes, I do hold myself partially at fault for not making sure my troop was supplied with all the right gear.

NinerSix said:
Adding to the chorus:

Currently teaching on a week end BMQ. Troop tripped and got injured in the subsequent fall. One of the root cause of this incident is that boots in the correct size were not available, larger boots were issued. Troop might not be able to complete training due to injury.

Recruit was enrolled as a supply tech, of all thing.

And yes, I do hold myself partially at fault for not making sure my troop was supplied with all the right gear.

Please ensure that not only a CF98 but a CF663 gets put in on this. Many times the 663 is forgotten but is vital in pointing to reasons as to how the accident happened to prevent it from happening in the future.

Well finally got my brown boots, interestingly labelled temperate combat boots but I digress. So far the best part of the new boots will be getting issued trial boots tomorrow.

Back