• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Presidential Election 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
HiTechComms said:
Kinda new here.. I am an immigrant and always lived my life as an outsider looking in. One thing that I have learned about Canada and Canadians while living in and out of the country..

Hating on Americans and America is part of the Canadian core identity. We are better than them mentality is very part of core Canadian dogma.

I never understood this and never will.

I cannot vote in American elections I can only vote in Canadian.

Why is it that American elections are more important than Canadian is beyond me.

Any one care to explain?

A bunch of bitter ex-Loyalists who haven't got over the fact that they lost back in 1776.  ;D

HiTechComms said:
Hating on Americans and America is part of the Canadian core identity.

Remius said:
Hate is a strong word and I certainly don’t define my Canadian identity by hating Americans.

Canadians love the ( former ) American president,
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00dDMdak1f3xv_WDNg5f20doDciPg%3A1603803545368&source=hp&ei=mRmYX4PqE62RggeRy5zYAw&q=canadians+love+obama&oq=canadians+love+obama&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIECCMQJzoECAAQQzoFCAAQkQI6CwguEMcBEK8BEJECOgoILhDHARCjAhBDOgsILhCxAxDHARCjAjoKCAAQsQMQgwEQQzoICAAQsQMQgwE6DQgAELEDEIMBEBQQhwI6BwgAELEDEEM6CAguELEDEMkDOgcIABAUEIcCOggILhDHARCjAjoCCAA6CggAEMkDEBQQhwI6BAgAEAo6BwgAEMkDEAo6CQgAEMkDEBYQHlC9C1jDZWDNaWgAcAB4AIABtwGIAcgTkgEEMS4xOZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjDmu_k6dTsAhWtiOAKHZElBzsQ4dUDCAw&uact=5#spf=1603803560422

mariomike said:
Canadians love the ( former ) American president,
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00dDMdak1f3xv_WDNg5f20doDciPg%3A1603803545368&source=hp&ei=mRmYX4PqE62RggeRy5zYAw&q=canadians+love+obama&oq=canadians+love+obama&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIECCMQJzoECAAQQzoFCAAQkQI6CwguEMcBEK8BEJECOgoILhDHARCjAhBDOgsILhCxAxDHARCjAjoKCAAQsQMQgwEQQzoICAAQsQMQgwE6DQgAELEDEIMBEBQQhwI6BwgAELEDEEM6CAguELEDEMkDOgcIABAUEIcCOggILhDHARCjAjoCCAA6CggAEMkDEBQQhwI6BAgAEAo6BwgAEMkDEAo6CQgAEMkDEBYQHlC9C1jDZWDNaWgAcAB4AIABtwGIAcgTkgEEMS4xOZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjDmu_k6dTsAhWtiOAKHZElBzsQ4dUDCAw&uact=5#spf=1603803560422

I don't disagree that many in Canada love Obama. But why? Do they even know?

Take a look at that very first link in the search you posted. How many of those moments that supposedly won the hearts of Canadians have any real substance? I say this not as a shot against the Obama administration, but as a reflection on Canadians and our general ignorance of the world & things that matter. If Canadians base their approval on handshakes, hugs, and beavertail photo ops, we could probably have Kim Jong-un south of the border and most would be fine with it.

:2c:

reveng said:

Take a look at that very first link in the search you posted. How many of those moments that supposedly won the hearts of Canadians have any real substance? I say this not as a shot against the Obama administration, but as a reflection on Canadians and our general ignorance of the world & things that matter. If Canadians base their approval on handshakes, hugs, and beavertail photo ops, we could probably have Kim Jong-un south of the border and most would be fine with it.

:2c:

Neil MacDonald explained And critiqued some of this in 2016. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-obama-ottawa-meeing-macdonald-1.3658538

Is suspect that this might be an acceptable CBC article to those on the far right that think the CBC is nothing more than a paid off MSM fake news organisation...

reveng said:

Likeability, to me, is sincerity, transparency and the capacity for understanding another person. YMMV.

All I know is who I liked better.

The current guy declared Canada a security threat and tried to bully us into compliance while being cosy with actual security threats.  He also used what amounted to piracy to get his hands on PPE destined for Canada.  Oh one of his guys denigrated Canada including the contributions to Afghanistan. 

Do we benefit from an isolationist President or not? Do we prefer predictability or do we deal with erratic behaviour? 

So was Obama overated for Canada?  I think so and agree.  But what we have right now hasn’t gotten us much except instability and uncertainty.

Any president is overrated for Canada.  Canada's problems with the US are dominated by trade and economic issues, most of which depend on handfuls of congress representatives and senators capable of exerting influence out of proportion to their numbers on whatever is important to each member's state.

Remius said:
All I know is who I liked better.

Obama is tied with Eisenhower for the title of most admired man in the world:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallup%27s_most_admired_man_and_woman_poll

Eisenhower, a Republican, has always been my most admired American president.

Ike had a reputation among his troops as an eminently decent man. Friendly and sympathetic.

An admiration he elevated even further by having the bravado to casually rest his hands inside his pocket and "violate the sacred Army injunction."  :)

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/canada-quietly-prepares-for-the-possible-challenges-of-a-biden-presidency/ar-BB1asUHc?ocid=ientp

Interesting take on a Biden Presidency.  Not all rosy for Canada.

Remius said:
Interesting take on a Biden Presidency. 

Not gonna happen, is my uneducated guess.
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=641&tbs=qdr%3Am&sxsrf=ALeKk02PCSDi6gRXe-8FiBASsJ9b9v1ygg%3A1603897836312&ei=7ImZX73QEuS6ggeBqbXIBw&q=steal+election&oq=steal+election&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQDFAAWABguy9oAHAAeACAAQCIAQCSAQCYAQCqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwi99qeGydfsAhVkneAKHYFUDXkQ4dUDCAw#spf=1603897844398

When all you do is google search like that it's no wonder you hold the beliefs you do.  :rofl:

QV said:
When all you do is google search like that it's no wonder you hold the beliefs you do.  :rofl:

Yeah, I know, "He wouldn't dare!!!" :rofl:

Sorry for not being a Trump cheerleader, QV. That puts me with the majority of Canadians.

MacLean's

1 Oct., 2020

How much do Canadians dislike Donald Trump? A lot.
https://www.macleans.ca/politics/how-much-do-canadians-dislike-donald-trump-a-lot/

A new 338Canada/Léger poll shows that from coast to coast Canadians overwhelmingly support Biden over Trump.

To the question: “If you could vote in the U.S. presidential election, would you vote for Joe Biden or Donald Trump?”, a significant majority of Canadians (72 per cent) would support Democratic nominee Joe Biden. Only 14 per cent of respondents would vote for Donald Trump, and another 14 per cent are undecided.

Among decided voters, Biden receives the support of 84 per cent of Canadian voters.

I just know what I read in the papers, and on here. 

Oh my gosh MM, you're right!  This link proves it.

https://www.google.ca/search?safe=active&ei=sKeZX9GvN4TPtAaytLHABw&q=I+can%27t+think+for+myself+so+confirm+for+me+Trump+is+a+big+meany%21&oq=I+can%27t+think+for+myself+so+confirm+for+me+Trump+is+a+big+meany%21&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQA1Dc7gFY_agCYIW_AmgAcAB4AIABAIgBAJIBAJgBKKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrAAQE&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjRx4y45dfsAhWEJ80KHTJaDHgQ4dUDCAw&uact=5#spf=1603905501032

QV said:
Oh my gosh MM, you're right!  This link proves it.

https://www.google.ca/search?safe=active&ei=sKeZX9GvN4TPtAaytLHABw&q=I+can%27t+think+for+myself+so+confirm+for+me+Trump+is+a+big+meany%21&oq=I+can%27t+think+for+myself+so+confirm+for+me+Trump+is+a+big+meany%21&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQA1Dc7gFY_agCYIW_AmgAcAB4AIABAIgBAJIBAJgBKKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrAAQE&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjRx4y45dfsAhWEJ80KHTJaDHgQ4dUDCAw&uact=5#spf=1603905501032

Somewhat of a personal attack wouldn't you say?  But I understand that in the last week of this campaign some people are touchy and on edge.

Btw your google search brought this up.

https://reason.com/2016/10/19/fact-check-trump-is-indeed-a-big-whiny-b/

QV said:

Are you tied in directly with the West Wing, or something?

Remius said:
Somewhat of a personal attack wouldn't you say?  But I understand that in the last week of this campaign some people are touchy and on edge.

Btw your google search brought this up.

https://reason.com/2016/10/19/fact-check-trump-is-indeed-a-big-whiny-b/

I wouldn't classify that as a personal attack, but disagreeing politically is now a personal attack these days so I won't be surprised in the least if that's how some view it.  You've helped make my point though, Remius, about MSM, Google, and algorithm manipulation. 

G2G, no.  I'm just vehemently opposed to corruption in positions of public trust. 

QV said:
I wouldn't classify that as a personal attack, but disagreeing politically is now a personal attack these days so I won't be surprised in the least if that's how some view it.  You've helped make my point though, Remius, about MSM, Google, and algorithm manipulation. 

G2G, no.  I'm just vehemently opposed to corruption in positions of public trust.

Except you didn’t refute his point at all.  Made an underhanded comment about not thinking for yourself.

Is Mario’s concern about a stolen election not valid? Or is only The Donald who can make that claim without evidence.

Please explain how you come to your opinions?  A vaccum?  I’m genuinely curious. 

QV said:
I'm just vehemently opposed to corruption in positions of public trust.

That's nice.

I simply searched two words only: "steal election".

Nothing added to the search about Biden or Trump, or Democratic or Republican. Just those two words, and that is what came up.

Remius said:
Is Mario’s concern about a stolen election not valid? Or is only The Donald who can make that claim without evidence.

Good question.

Nothing new about voter suppression in America,

So many of our Christians have what I call the goo-goo syndrome: good government. They want everybody to vote. I don't want everybody to vote. Elections are not won by a majority of people, they never have been from the beginning of our country and they are not now. As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down.

Paul Weyrich
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=641&sxsrf=ALeKk00HWxe9s7RYpM9UE-X7V7aoXM1_pQ%3A1603907483088&ei=m6-ZX7DJBMTctQb64oPoBA&q=%22i+don%27t+want+everybody+to+vote%22+%22paul+weyrich%22&oq=%22i+don%27t+want+everybody+to+vote%22+%22paul+weyrich%22&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzoECAAQR1DUlQFYkrgBYO-7AWgAcAJ4AIABhQGIAf8BkgEDMC4ymAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesgBCMABAQ&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjwgqD-7NfsAhVEbs0KHXrxAE0Q4dUDCAw&uact=5#spf=1603907508660

Reminds of something Huey Long said, "One day Louisiana is going to get good government. And they're not gonna like it!"  :)

Remius said:
Except you didn’t refute his point at all.  Made an underhanded comment about not thinking for yourself.

Please explain how you come to your opinions?  A vaccum?  I’m genuinely curious.

If all someone does is rely on a targeted google search to form an opinion then no I don't think that person is at all thinking for themselves.  But Remius, I'm sure MM can defend his opinions, he doesn't need you to come running to his defence all the time.   

Quickly off the top, I'd like to know what about the following has been so terrible:

1.  3(4?) Middle East peace deals.  I'm losing count now, but how many previous US administrations accomplished any of this?
2.  Excellent economic record.  Isn't a healthy US great for Canada?
3.  All of the crazy accusations (Russia collusion etc) have been proven false.  That's good, right? (makes you wonder what other allegations are bulls**t doesn't it?)
4.  Historic black employment and support from the black community.  That's good, right?
5.  Significant reduction in illegal border crossings on their southern border.  Good?
6.  Influenced big increases in NATO spending.  Is that not good for mutual defence?
7.  How many nominations for the Nobel? 
8.  No new wars.  Who is mad at this one?
9.  He's authorized the elimination of some pretty bad dudes (Soleimani etc)
10.  His SCOTUS nominations seem to be exceptional people.
11.  Massive Fed support to states and followed experts' advice with COVID, except when he closed borders much sooner (which was the correct move). 

Who doesn't want more of that? 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back