Author Topic: CPC Leadership Potentials if Scheer Implodes  (Read 2414 times)

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: CPC Leadership Potentials if Scheer Implodes
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2019, 18:13:53 »
I think Rempel and Bergen are much like Pollievre, they are great antagonizers for the opposition, but I don't think any of them is truly a "leader." They are much better as followers. Because of the roles they've played as antagonizers I just don't see them as having the gravitas to be a Prime Minister.

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Your example, not your opinion, can cause change
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 08:09:46 »
..... I just don't see them as having the gravitas to be a Prime Minister.
  :rofl:

I can list several political leaders (and media talking heads) who fail massively at ticking that box;  I fear that quality has been beaten to death.
There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented, and absolutely terrifying.
~Chris Evans

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2019, 08:17:24 »
I think we all know who we truly want.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 10:47:55 »
Lol.  Yeah...

What are people's thoughts on Doug Ford making the leap? 

Is there anything stopping from running for the party leadership while still serving as Premier (but stepping down if won of course).

The timing might be right when you think about it. 

Trudeau wins.  Scheer steps down.  An interim leader is chosen.  A new leadership race just before Ford has to declare a provincial election and takes the helm.

I was hoping the Mulroney would be ready for a federal leadership run but she was a lame duck at the provincial level and her being linked to eth Franco issue in Ontario likely makes her unelectable federally.

Ambrose if she comes back for me or MacKay.  The rest either are not electable or have issues of their own.
Optio

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 12:48:39 »
Doubtful.  In the current social/political milieu, parties of the left and centre-left will have to tread very carefully when criticizing any CPC candidate who is not "white" and "male".

I daresay you underestimate Liberal hypocrisy.
+40
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2019, 12:51:54 »
  :rofl:

I can list several political leaders (and media talking heads) who fail massively at ticking that box;  I fear that quality has been beaten to death.

Fair point, no one can be sure how much it's required anymore in our celebrity-obsessed culture. But they also don't really have celebrity status to plug that hole with either...
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 14:13:52 »
Lol.  Yeah...

What are people's thoughts on Doug Ford making the leap? 

Is there anything stopping from running for the party leadership while still serving as Premier (but stepping down if won of course).

The timing might be right when you think about it. 

Trudeau wins.  Scheer steps down.  An interim leader is chosen.  A new leadership race just before Ford has to declare a provincial election and takes the helm.

I was hoping the Mulroney would be ready for a federal leadership run but she was a lame duck at the provincial level and her being linked to eth Franco issue in Ontario likely makes her unelectable federally.

Ambrose if she comes back for me or MacKay.  The rest either are not electable or have issues of their own.

I agree with all of the above. I find most of Ford's moves since becoming Premier are "scary Trump lite." I was surprised to see signs in the media recently that he may be thinking of a move in the direction of PM. Hell becoming a populist Premier worked out pretty good let's go for the big one.

As for poor Mulroney she sold her soul to Ford over his moves in the Ontario Franco issue.

"The dream is over.”
Those words by the Beatles’ John Lennon in his 1970 song “God” could easily apply these days to Caroline Mulroney.
The dream harboured by the Ontario attorney general when she first entered elected politics in the summer of 2017 was that one day she would become premier of Ontario and eventually move on to become Canada’s first elected woman prime minister."
https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2018/11/28/the-dream-dies-for-caroline-mulroney.html

Offline TimneyTime

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2019, 18:00:48 »
I don't think Scheer will implode.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -5620.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 18:36:13 »
I'll stick with Scheer, for now. Too late to change him out, even though that worked for Ford. We're stuck with the devils we know going into this election.

Are there better? Who knows, he hasn't won yet, we have no idea how he'll be as a PM.

Enough believed trudeau to get him elected and look at what a disaster that turned out to be.

Scheer would need to be dead to do worse. Mind, a dead person could do better than trudeau is doing now.
Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2019, 19:12:36 »
The writer buried the MP's name until the end of the story. Why would that be ? Celina Caesar-Chavannes could no longer support the Liberal Party.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/in-fresh-blow-to-canada-pm-trudeau-lawmaker-quits-his-caucus/ar-BBV1IQZ?ocid=spartanntp

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2019, 20:23:53 »
One advantage of Scheer is that he is very Mundane and since we unelect governments, being mundane might be a good thing. The Liberals have had a hard time making him look scary and since he does not appeal to Large C Conservatives, he may appeal to the undecided crowd who are the real electors of governments.