Author Topic: CDN/US Covid-related political discussion  (Read 50914 times)

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: CDN/US Covid-related political discussion
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2020, 13:47:59 »
Sorry if my post wasn't clear but I agree with you.  I don't think any intelligent person would question the decision made to keep most of the military at home right now.  I was referring to a thought of MP's being kept in Ottawa.  Having them here staying in hotels or quarantining them in the Parliament building would be a bad idea IMO.

I'd tend to agree with you if we had a clear majority government. However with the minority situation and how our Constitution is constructed, I think we should have at least some MPs quarantined in Ottawa to continue with the proper checks and balances in Parliament. That's even more true now that the Liberals tried to use a global pandemic to circumvent Parliament and use tax dollars as a slush fund until 31 Dec 2021.

At least our parties are able to make quick negotiations and get funding approved right away for the people that need it. Democrats in the US House are taking the opportunity to tack on legislation to their stimulus bill, holding up the funding for ordinary Americans. This is even after US Senate unanimously approved the bill already... I'll take our system (flaws and all) any day over the absolute political circus the US House/Senate has become over the last decade.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2020, 14:22:39 »
Democrats in the US House are taking the opportunity to tack on legislation to their stimulus bill, holding up the funding for ordinary Americans. This is even after US Senate unanimously approved the bill already... I'll take our system (flaws and all) any day over the absolute political circus the US House/Senate has become over the last decade.

That flips both ways. The Republicans' version in the Senate basically loads most of the benefits and subsidies on businesses, and does much less to help or protect individuals. It's a corporate bailout, not a fiscal support for the actual people. Neither party is being an honest broker; each controls a house of the legislature, and both are playing stupid partisan games with this.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2020, 15:14:55 »
That flips both ways. The Republicans' version in the Senate basically loads most of the benefits and subsidies on businesses, and does much less to help or protect individuals. It's a corporate bailout, not a fiscal support for the actual people. Neither party is being an honest broker; each controls a house of the legislature, and both are playing stupid partisan games with this.

Considering the Senate required unanimous consent, obviously the Senate Democrats didn't feel it was that big of a partisan game because they put their names down to support it.

Online Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2020, 15:31:17 »
The Trump administration is mulling putting US troops near the Canadian border to detect illegal crossers.  The PM and Deputy PM are 'strongly opposed" but they don't say why.  They, in fact have no say on what the US does to maintain it's internal security.
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2020, 15:34:14 »
The Trump administration is mulling putting US troops near the Canadian border to detect illegal crossers.  The PM and Deputy PM are 'strongly opposed" but they don't say why.  They, in fact have no say on what the US does to maintain it's internal security.

Is it to prevent ingress or egress - I'd be concerned about people running away currently.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Online Haggis

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2020, 16:01:08 »
Is it to prevent ingress or egress

The article says that it is to detect ingress - illegal immigrants entering the US.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2020, 16:54:56 »
Hard to imagine people moving from a universal heath care model to an out-of-pocket model in the middle of a global health crisis.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Online Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2020, 17:26:51 »
The Senate bill is not short on support for individuals, and support for corporations is support for jobs, which is also support for individuals.

A summary at Politico

The Senate bill is not remotely close to Pelosi's bullshit.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2020, 18:01:17 »
My apologies; I'm not sure if there were amendments or if I was just wrong. Either way my reply was not based on a proper understanding of the current content. I'm glad they got it through.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2020, 18:31:39 »
Hard to imagine people moving from a universal heath care model to an out-of-pocket model in the middle of a global health crisis.

This
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
Recruiting Centre: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Regular Force
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Occupation choice: Logistics Officer
Current application: March 28, 2017
CFAT: Previously completed in November 2011
Interview: July 11, 2017
Medical: August 2017
Competition list: October/November 2017
Position Offered: May 25, 2018
Swearing In: August 21, 2018
BMOQ: August 25, 2018
BMOQ Graduation: November 16, 2018
OFP: December 2019

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2020, 01:46:15 »
Several states like Florida and Alaska are asking new arrivals to self quarantine. In the case of Florida their concern is possible infected people from New York.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2020, 08:52:33 »
In the case of Florida their concern is possible infected people from New York.

By now, I would imagine most spring breakers and snowbirds have left, or soon will, Florida to return to their home states and provinces.

My wife returned from the Sunshine State two weeks ago. So far, no signs or symptoms. We are thankful for that.

In the case of Florida,

Tampa Bay, FLA

Gov. Ron DeSantis won’t shut down Florida. Here’s who he’s talking to about that.

“We’re recommending that the governor continue to do what he’s doing,” said Florida Chamber President and CEO Mark Wilson. “I don’t think the data says we need to do a statewide shutdown.”

TALLAHASSEE — As Gov. Ron DeSantis continues to resist calls to shut down Florida to prevent the spread of coronavirus, he’s been in close contact with a powerful constituency: big business.

Alarming cellphone map shows how spring breakers could have spread coronavirus
https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/alarming-cell-phone-map-shows-how-spring-breakers-could-have-spread-coronavirus/

Escape from Florida: My 2,400-km drive back to the sanity of Canada

https://www.macleans.ca/society/life/escape-from-florida-my-2400-km-drive-back-to-the-sanity-of-canada/

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2020, 15:50:54 »

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Optio

Online Haggis

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2020, 17:43:30 »
Here's a nightmare scenario to consider.  In two weeks Trump expects life to be normalized for the Easter weekend.  By then he will have marginalized and discredited all his senior health advisers and trotted out his own "experts" to bolster his assertion that the US is recovering.  For us, that that American normalization may come with pressure on Canada to normalize international trade and travel.

Consider, now, a whole fleet of truck drivers from the US who have been exposed trough normalization heading towards Canada with essential goods.

Add to that a host of Americans heading here to open their cottages and enjoy long weekends away from the stress of pandemic stricken big city (e.g. New York) life and expecting to not be turned back at the border because America has resumed "business as usual" according to the Oval Office.

What then?

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2020, 17:56:30 »
What's that old saying?

Hope is not a COA.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2020, 19:13:16 »
Sorry mods, I got fired up in my opinion on something earlier and may have had a post deleted as a result. My bad. I haven't gotten any sort of notification and no deleted post note in milpoints, but it's gone so I'm assuming that.

Online Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2020, 19:14:26 »
Mine too lol.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2020, 19:15:31 »
Sorry mods, I got fired up in my opinion on something earlier and may have had a post deleted as a result. My bad. I haven't gotten any sort of notification and no deleted post note in milpoints, but it's gone so I'm assuming that.

I've joined you in post purgatory 
(sorry as well, shouldn't have used inappropriate language towards a political figure.)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 20:45:53 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Online Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2020, 08:32:38 »

Not sure if this is happening in other states but some South Carolina cities are defying their state’s order on restrictions.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/south-carolina/articles/2020-03-28/sc-cities-defy-state-on-restrictions-as-virus-cases-rise

Not good and I suspect as this goes on we might see more of this happening.
Optio

Offline stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2020, 12:16:34 »
Here's a nightmare scenario to consider.  In two weeks Trump expects life to be normalized for the Easter weekend.  By then he will have marginalized and discredited all his senior health advisers and trotted out his own "experts" to bolster his assertion that the US is recovering.  For us, that that American normalization may come with pressure on Canada to normalize international trade and travel.

Consider, now, a whole fleet of truck drivers from the US who have been exposed trough normalization heading towards Canada with essential goods.

Add to that a host of Americans heading here to open their cottages and enjoy long weekends away from the stress of pandemic stricken big city (e.g. New York) life and expecting to not be turned back at the border because America has resumed "business as usual" according to the Oval Office.

What then?
This is when we need to really hope Trudeau does what's right and doesn't cave in to Trump.  It will also be a time for the PC's and NDP to give him the political support required as well and make sure everyone is on the same page.  There will be plenty of time to play politics when this is over.

Offline stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2020, 12:19:48 »
I'm not sure if any Province has made a request yet but the media are beginning to ask about using the military to enforce isolation and help with check points etc.  Quebecer's for example are being told not to go to their cottages and police have begun setting up checkpoints.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2020, 12:20:52 »
Quote from: stellarpanther
There will be plenty of time to play politics when this is over.
Naw. I'd prefer to still keep an eye on politicians so they don't try to sneak by massive power grabs under the panic of a pandemic.

The stupid games should stop, the oversight and accountability shouldn't.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Online Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2020, 12:55:51 »
It's not the job of opposition parties to support the PM.  Their job is to block the governing party from inserting its honey-do items into crisis management legislation.

There are two flavours of "never let a crisis go to waste".

Good: learn, and apply lessons to improve things now and do better next time.

Bad: "This is a tremendous opportunity to restructure things to fit our vision."
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.