Author Topic: Military Swim Test - When, Where, and How- Merged  (Read 238840 times)

Offline Buzz

• Rate Post
Re: swim test
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2005, 11:00:42 »
Generally you will do a swim test during your SQ. All it involves is treading water for two minutes, swimming 25 meters in combats (minus boots),   then doing another 25 metres with a PFD.   It's not very hard if you're   a strong swimmer, though I've seen my share of sinkers.

I agree! I was one of those sinkers.LOL   I used this quote to give a perspective from the other side of the coin.

At BMQ,   I have never swam with clothes on before and after treading water for 2 min, then try and swim the 25 meters. It's not an easy task. I didn't make it on the first portion but made the 25 meters with a PFD.   Although, if you fail one thing, you have to redo the whole thing. I was confident and was deeply dissappointed that I didn't make.

For round 2 it wasn't hard because I knew what to expect and had proper coaching to do so.   And the feeling regained after doing something failed was very empowering within.   If you pass the first time.   Remember that there are those that haven't swam before or aren't strong and if it's easy for you...it's a big b#tch for them. LOL

As for instructions on what it is you have to do....just listen to the staff and he/she will tell you what you need to do.

cheers!!
-Buzz

"If your going through hell, keep going" -Sir Winston Churchill

Offline i_was_issued_a_husband

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2005, 04:45:04 »
I wouldn't worry about the swim test, there are always a few on the course who cant swim and fail it, but the all make it through basic, just make sure that you wear a belt when you do your test.  When I did my swim test I didn't wear my belt, and in the middle of treading water my combat pants fell off, thank god you wear a bathingsuit under your combats.  I had to finish treadding water, then dive to the bottom of the pool to get my pants.  That 9 years ago, and to this day when ever I talk to the guys I went through basic with they laugh their a$$es off at me.  Remember belts are needed because the pants get ALOT bigger when they are wet. lol

Offline Capt. Happy

• Every day is Monday in the Engr Corps
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2005, 09:51:30 »
I can almost force myself to see the reasoning behind a swim test, but in reality I have had very little cause to swim anywhere with cbt's on.

I believe the swim test with Combats on is a throwback to the troopship/amphibious landing days - need to be able to swim with your combats on when the ship or carrier goes down. Doesn't have much relevancy these days with no troopships or amphibious capability, but still helps to instill confidence into new recruits that they can in fact do it if they put their minds to it.

Does your local St John's ambulance teach the treating Pneumothorax in MOPP high and or any other trauma first-aid?  

Sorry, cannot agree on this one. I don't recall having done any kind of pneumothorax treatment in MOPP anything on a military first aid course. I don't necessarily agree that enough is covered on the Mil FA course, but I do think every single soldier should be qualified to the TCCC standard or BTLS. Although, the last complete Mil FA course I did a month ago did include some trauma first aid, but nothing anywhere near the BTLS course I attended in 2004.

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2005, 11:01:53 »
c4th - I've had a great need for swimming abilities in the infantry
1) Assault boat flipped x2
2) Water x-ing of a stream moving a little too fast (swept downstream)
3) co2 cartridges not firing in stupid army flotation device on a water jump (happened to another guy)
4) boat flipping on adventure trg in BC
5) RHIB insertions/extractions
6) Helo casting

I think the ability to swim is part of the basic skills we should cultivate, in addition to this, it is a nice change from running 5x a week. On top of that - we already own the facilities and instructors!
No leader was ever hated for being too hard, but a great many were for attempting to appear that way.

c4th

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2005, 12:09:17 »
I think the ability to swim is part of the basic skills we should cultivate,

I agree 100% that swimming should be incorporated into training for all the reasons you stated.  I obviously support annual swim tests at the unit level in order that training that you mentioned can be conducted with some degree of safety. 

I don't agree that it should be a prescreen requirement in the recruiting process.  IMO the recruiting process is long and onerous at best, and before more hoops are placed on the path to enrollment I think it would be better to take weak and non-swimmers faster and teach them to swim at the facilities we man and own.

Offline Delta

• Rate Post
BMQ and Swimming
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2005, 21:41:43 »
hello mates, i got few questions about the swimming in the BMQ

1. How far do I need to swim for?
2. I am not going to swim with boots on right?
3. Does it matter which style I swim in?

Offline Carbon-14

• Rate Post
Re: BMQ and Swimming
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2005, 21:51:10 »
1.  I had to do just once around the pool..   also gotta stay tread water for 2 minutes
2.  Nope no boots
3.  Any style you want no time limit

This test is basicly to seperate the rocks from the soldiers.  The only way to fail is to not follow instructions, give up, or drown

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
Re: BMQ and Swimming
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2005, 21:54:38 »

Search page - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

Search words - "swim test"

First hit - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,31580.0.html

Answer - Reply #5

Generally you will do a swim test during your SQ. All it involves is treading water for two minutes, swimming 25 meters in combats (minus boots),  then doing another 25 metres with a PFD.  It's not very hard if you're  a strong swimmer, though I've seen my share of sinkers.

Finding the information you seek all by yourself - priceless

Thread locked.

Offline StormTrooper

• Rate Post
Re: Military Swim Test
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2006, 02:07:36 »
I'm gonna have my swim test next weekend. My question is, does it matter if we swim underwater or not? I ask because I am a lot faster underwater, and I am pretty sure I look lame when I swim above water because I'm all over the place.

Offline Spr.Earl

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2006, 04:32:27 »
If it's the same combat swim test?
It's in combat's and do 1 or 2 length's of the pool.
Just do your breast stroke and you will pass.
THE PRECEDING POST AND OTHERS MADE BY MYSELF ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS, NOT FOR REPRODUCTION, NOT FOR CUT AND PASTE OF ANY PORTION THEREOF, NO QUOTES ARE PERMITTED ELSEWHERE,ANYWHERE OTHER THAN EXCLUSIVELY IN THIS WEB FORUM.

UBIQUE
Be Safe

Offline StormTrooper

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2006, 22:44:11 »
We just had our test last weekend, and it was a fun experience which by the end, brought our whole course closer together. I didn't find the test to be all that hard, considering the fact that I haven't been close to a swimming pool in the longest time. I was however out of breath by the time I was done. If it wasn't for the 15 second break I was allowed to have when I got to the first end, I don't think I could have made it, because I wasted a lot of my energy on the treading  :(. The instructor just told me to work on it a bit more on my own time, but I'm pretty sure I passed. Just don't panic when you jump into the water, or bump into someone else when you are in the water. Also, before the test, I recommend you to work on treading the water without wasting a lot of energy.

Offline polo

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2006, 10:42:33 »
Not only did we do the swim test but after some of our platoon was allowed to go off the Olympic Board  ;D That was a hell of a time. And if you don't swim much make sure you get to a pool and practice or have lessons before you go for the test. Basically you jump from a 3m board w/ a life jacket and swim one length (remember to breathe out of your nose when you hit the water  :-\ ), then take off the life-vest, off of a 1/2m-1m board do a flip into the water and move to a line and tread until EVERYONE is in the water at the line, then you do 2 minutes treading, then one length. You wait until everyone is spread out along the wall and everyone swims the last length together, try not to hit anyone while you do this because it does get crowded and others might not be able to swim as well as you.
But hey, it's an easy thing, just know when to hold your breath and know when breathe  :-X
If you can't impress them with your knowledge, confuse them with you bullsh*t.

Offline Dave87c

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2006, 14:02:50 »
I can swim pretty well but i might fail the treading part.. I'm going swimming 3-4 times a week BMQ starts on Feb 20th but I cant tread more then 10 seconds  ^-^ im practising so you never know i might be able to do 2 minutes but even if i don't no harm done..just practise a bit more after BMQ's finished..

Offline LordVagabond

• is hoping to be in basic in October
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2006, 15:07:58 »
Manu: the key to long term treading is to relax. Don't kick hard, don't flail your arms to keep your head above water. Use slow, rhythmic kicks and keep your arm strokes smooth and in time with your kicks. What I mean by this is from the full back position, your arms should be straight but not locked as they go forward, and on the back stroke, your elbows should be bent 15-25 degrees, witht he palms of your hands pointing in the direction of the stroke. For the kicks, your legs should be mostly straight, your toes pointed. This should keep your chin at or just a millimeter below water level, but your nose and mouth will be above water level without worry. Also, KEEP BREATHING!!!!! Slow, long, deep (to-the-belly) breaths will keep your natural buoyancy up, as well as keep your body oxygenated. Do that every day until you can go 3 minutes, and you'll be fine  ;D

Also, remember, a lot of it is mental. BELIEVE that you can do it, and within a few short days I expect that you'll see your time drastically improve  :warstory:

Offline Bradboy

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2006, 17:27:58 »
  Manu, don't stress the swim test too much. It was one of the more easy tests I found in BMQ. As long as you can swim you'll be o.k. The hardest part was treading water for 2 minutes but even then it wasn't that hard. Oh and by the way you have to wear coveralls throughout the swim test too. Hope everything works out and good luck on your BMQ.
 :salute: :cdn:
"Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise."   Tommy Douglas - Greatest Canadian

Offline polo

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2006, 08:28:00 »
You can check out these pictures that were taken for the DND site during my platoon's swim test.

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&defaultjoin=and&field=Keywords&op=contains&value=+&field=Keywords&op=contains&value=bmq&field=Shoot+Date&op=on+or+after&value=01%2F01%2F2006&field=Shoot+Date&op=on+or+before&value=06%2F06%2F2006&site=combatcamera&catalog=photos&template=results_e.np&sorton=IPTC%20-%20DateCreated&ascending=0

It's all fun and easy, plus is isn't like you have to redothe test if you fail. I'm pretty sure all they do is give you a special thing to put on your rucksack when you're doing anything concerning water/swimming so they can help you first out of others stranded or what not, or even just to keep they're eye on you.

Offline WebAddict

• Rate Post
  • Don't forget to breath during your testing!
    • Slick-Studio
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2006, 20:37:27 »
I am a good at swimming , i can swim 300 m in no problem, but I cant do a summersault, I land on my back :( and it hurts sometimes,  I can do a "perfect" dive, anyway of not doing a summersault?

Offline polo

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2006, 13:37:14 »
Well, no there isn't a way of getting out of it, but it isn't from very high. They actually want you to go in 'not perfectly' because when you fall out of a boat, you're going to be disoriented and it isn't going to be perfect. Don't worry you'll be fine.
Oh and PS you won't be diving head first, it'll be like jumping off the platform and crossing your arms and legs (and wearing a lifevest).

Offline kac146

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2006, 20:45:26 »
Does anyone know where I can buy prescription swimming goggles here in Kingston? Recently got posted here and I'm not quite sure as to where I buy a pair.
Thanks in advance for any input..

Offline Zertz

• Aspiring for that Watch Laser
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2006, 18:43:36 »
I didn't think such a thing existed until now, did I quick google search and you can get them online, otherwise I'd imagine asking where prescription eyeglasses/sunglassed and sports/swimming gear are sold would probably either finding you a place or get you forewarded to a place.

Offline kac146

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2006, 08:57:51 »
Went around a few optical places in Kingston.  It found only 2 places that sell them Precision Optical and Vision Care Optical at Walmart.  Both carry the same selection of prescription swim goggles. Precision sells for about $70 and Walmart for about $40. Got mine from the latter.
Cheers,
kac146

Offline Ordinary Dummy

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2006, 13:28:06 »
I just completed my basic in St Jean recently and after scrolling through the 8 pages on this thread I can offer this;  yes there is a swim test at St Jean and no you do not have to pass the test in order to complete basic.  Personally i am a good swimmer but failed it the first time i attempted this.  I failed because of the water that fills up in your combats.  They tell you to tie the combat pants at the bottom and do up your belt nice and tight.  They also tell you to tie the string inside your combat jacket as well.  From a personal stand point, I dont recommend doing up either.  Thats what killed me the first time.  Too much water got in there and just weighed me down.  The second time i attempted the test i left all the strings untied and I had no problems what so ever.  No water filled my pants or shirt.  What a difference.  Good luck.
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Offline punkd

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2006, 18:06:09 »
Passing the swim test is not mandatory, we had about 5 people in my platoon that could not swim. They give you a retest for it around week 4, even if you still don't pass it is not a P.O failure. Combats do get a little heavy, I still found it fairly easy though. If you are not a good swimmer during the 2 mins of tread water, just float on your back they allow it. That will make you less tired when you have to swim to the other end of the pool. In my opinion, the swim test is just another day of training don't think of it as a test.

Offline medicjade

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: April 18, 2006, 13:17:44 »
There were 2 people that have never swam in their lives, and who did not finish the swim. They TRIED their hardest, and they were given a pass, so as long as you try your hardest you will do fine.
It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees..

Offline Ordinary Dummy

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2006, 15:10:14 »
you dont have to know how to swim if you are going navy.  that doesnt make a lick of difference.  The swim instructors dont have a clue what element you are when u jump in that pool. It was funny how many people on our basic said "he's in the navy and he doesnt know how to swim!!"  Well i got a news flash for ya.  It dont matter if you can swim or not, you fall into the Atlantic Ocean you are screwed unless someone sees you because all the swim lessons in the world wont save your butt then.  Think about it.
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.