Author Topic: Nova Scotia International Tattoo Tribute to our troops and our fallen soldiers  (Read 4199 times)

17thRecceSgt

Well, Friday night, I went to the Gala preview show of the Tattoo with HLs.

I was most impressed with the show, however 3 things stood out to me.

First, at the point in the show, where they mentioned our troops in Afghanistan fighting the good fight in a distant land, and they had some troops come onto the floor with the arid CAPDAT on, C7's, TV and helmets, the applause for our troops over there was immense, and was followed by a BIG standing O by the whole place (roughly 10,000 or so people).

In this particular part of the show, these troops in the AR CADPAT all came out with torches lit, and slow marched onto the floor.  To end this "act", all the troops with the torches lit formed a semi-circle at the end of the stage (which is the floor surface in the Metro Center in Halifax).  They did a special dedication to all of Canada's soldiers who have died in Afghanistan.  As they read off each fallen soldiers name, a torch was extinguished.  These were the only lights on in the place.  The last name called, and the last torch to be put out, was for Capt Goddard.  The place was silent, solemn, and near pitch dark on the floor.  It was quite moving to be honest.

Lastly, during the Tattoo Parade that wound its way around the city, there was a float of troops in AR CADPAT again, with about 10 on each side of it marching.  When they came out (we were at the start point of the parade by Citadel Hill), the crowd was clapping, and high-fiving the troops, and whistling and cheering like crazy...it was very good to see the support they had for our troops coming out in their actions Friday night and at the parade on Saturday.

Now, alot of these troops are PAT from Borden, or local PRes, I would bet that none of them have been outside Canada, and very few of them are probably MOC qual'd yet, but...the look on their faces at the parade when the crowd was going out of their way to say "thanks" and high-five them as they walked by, with people clapping and cheering...it was priceless. 

Just thought some people would like to hear that.

Also, close to the end of the first part of the show, they always ask people that have or are serving in our Armed Forces to stand up to be recognized.  There was 14 WWII vets there from the West Novies (WNSR), who they asked to stand up first, then the remainder of the military people stood up...the applause was long, loud and meaningful I hope, as I personally think it was directed to those 14 fine gent's in Section 19, as it should have been.

A good night, personally it solidified reasons why I serve, and why I will continue too, quite possibly in the Reg Frce again before summer's end.

:salute:

Offline Enfield

• Rate Post

Now, alot of these troops are PAT from Borden, or local PRes, I would bet that none of them have been outside Canada, and very few of them are probably MOC qual'd yet, but...the look on their faces at the parade when the crowd was going out of their way to say "thanks" and high-five them as they walked by, with people clapping and cheering...it was priceless. 

All of the soldiers in the Tattoo are MOC qualified. Almost all of the troops in the Memorial scene are Reservists from all trades from across Eastern Canada. Many have been overseas, some to Afghanistan.

I've watched that Memorial scene at three shows so far, and I agree, everytime the reaction from the crowd is incredible. Its good to know Halifax overwhelmingly supports the troops.
Anyone in the Halifax area should definitely check the show out. 
May You Live in Interesting Times

17thRecceSgt

Oh?  Then I stand corrected...I heard alot of them were from PAT in Borden.  3 times?  Its only played 3 times including the Matinee today so you MUST be part of it.   ;D

Well, either way...well done on the whole cast I say. 

BTW, the person who told me there was folks from PAT is the Sergeant-Major for the Tattoo...no names no pack drill.  But methinks you know who that is...

Offline Michael Dorosh

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Verloren ist nur, wer sich selbst aufgibt!
    • CANUCK
3 PPCLI's PATs will have a chance to do something similar at the Edmonton Tattoo coming up after Stampede Week here in Alberta...

http://www.edmontonchamber.com/mod.php?mod=userpage&page_id=366
"So, how's your sister?" -Brigadef├╝hrer Hermann Fegelein

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com
 http://www.calgaryhighlanders.com

Offline IN HOC SIGNO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Vocatio Ad Servitium
Well, Friday night, I went to the Gala preview show of the Tattoo with HLs.

I was most impressed with the show, however 3 things stood out to me.

First, at the point in the show, where they mentioned our troops in Afghanistan fighting the good fight in a distant land, and they had some troops come onto the floor with the arid CAPDAT on, C7's, TV and helmets, the applause for our troops over there was immense, and was followed by a BIG standing O by the whole place (roughly 10,000 or so people).

In this particular part of the show, these troops in the AR CADPAT all came out with torches lit, and slow marched onto the floor.  To end this "act", all the troops with the torches lit formed a semi-circle at the end of the stage (which is the floor surface in the Metro Center in Halifax).  They did a special dedication to all of Canada's soldiers who have died in Afghanistan.  As they read off each fallen soldiers name, a torch was extinguished.  These were the only lights on in the place.  The last name called, and the last torch to be put out, was for Capt Goddard.  The place was silent, solemn, and near pitch dark on the floor.  It was quite moving to be honest.

Lastly, during the Tattoo Parade that wound its way around the city, there was a float of troops in AR CADPAT again, with about 10 on each side of it marching.  When they came out (we were at the start point of the parade by Citadel Hill), the crowd was clapping, and high-fiving the troops, and whistling and cheering like crazy...it was very good to see the support they had for our troops coming out in their actions Friday night and at the parade on Saturday.

Also, close to the end of the first part of the show, they always ask people that have or are serving in our Armed Forces to stand up to be recognized.  There was 14 WWII vets there from the West Novies (WNSR), who they asked to stand up first, then the remainder of the military people stood up...the applause was long, loud and meaningful I hope, as I personally think it was directed to those 14 fine gent's in Section 19, as it should have been.

A good night, personally it solidified reasons why I serve, and why I will continue too, quite possibly in the Reg Frce again before summer's end.

:salute:

I'm going Tues night...looking forward to it. Haven't been since 02.

17thRecceSgt

I'm going Tues night...looking forward to it. Haven't been since 02.

I had no idea you were local!  Did you see the Fireworks on the harbour last night?  Good show.

Mud

Offline tonykeene

• Rate Post
The historical memorial scene at the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo was a high point, and the audience reaction was magnificent.  i was sitting up in "the gods" for three shows, including the dress rehearsal preview.  When the torches were being extinguished,  I could hear people near me sobbing in the darkness.  I had seen a lot of the rehearsal for this scene; the amount of work involved was awesome.

The CF personnel wearing the historic uniforms were all local soldiers, sailors and air force folks...the ones in arid combats carrying the torches were members of The Army Gun Race Team, selected from LFCA and SQFT.  The team is travelling across Canada, taking part in a variety of shows, tattoos and the like.

I'm their Public Affairs officer, and I'm very proud of them.  This is one of the finest summers of my career.

Keener

Offline IN HOC SIGNO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Vocatio Ad Servitium
I had no idea you were local!  Did you see the Fireworks on the harbour last night?  Good show.

Mud

Sorry Mud I missed this a month ago..ha ha..I'm out of the loop...yeah they were awesome...like the ones on NATAL day too. Good luck baching it with HL on IAP.
I'm off on 3 weeks leave now till after Labour Day  ;D

17thRecceSgt

;D  She is booting me out at the airport at about 1400 hrs 26 Aug, so I have to make it back on my own   ;D

Enjoy the leave Padre!

Mud

Offline Jake

• Rate Post
Thanks for posting it Mud, I always like to hear things like that. Will there be anything like that in the GTA anytime soon?

Offline IN HOC SIGNO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Vocatio Ad Servitium
;D  She is booting me out at the airport at about 1400 hrs 26 Aug, so I have to make it back on my own   ;D

Enjoy the leave Padre!

Mud

Thanks...me and the missus taking our motorbikes up to Cape Breton to do the trail...no cell phone...no blackberry...no.....etc.

Cheers ;D