• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CAF Employment ( FORCE )

HappyWithYourHacky said:
Bah! Nothing a box of Cepacol couldn't fix.

I think you mean foot powder:

Upper body = Cepacol
Lower body = Foot Powder

I've read through this thread, and am wondering,  (Waiting on info on an academic upgrade program, missed clerk by just one Math point on the CFAT)  what would be the best way to go about training for this test?

The EXPRES test was simple to train for, this one,  what exercises would you suggest to get in perfect shape for this,  weights/reps, whatnot. 

Thanks!

ObedientiaZelum said:
We should do a study to see how many CF98s have been submitted thanks to the BFTs firemans carry.

I miss the fireman's carry. It was a lot more pleasant than the drag.

Pandora114 said:
I've read through this thread, and am wondering,  (Waiting on info on an academic upgrade program, missed clerk by just one Math point on the CFAT)  what would be the best way to go about training for this test?

The EXPRES test was simple to train for, this one,  what exercises would you suggest to get in perfect shape for this,  weights/reps, whatnot. 

Thanks!

Don't get too focused on training for the test.  Just work on overall fitness; go for runs, do some weight training and HIT, etc.  What happens if you focus your training only on the FORCE test,  but it turns out you are doing the Express test?  AFAIK the FORCE test doesn't become the official test until 2014.  In 2013 serving CF members will have the opportunity to do the FORCE test to get a feel for it,  but it won't be recorded.

Incorporate parts of the PT test into your training,  but you have to do more then just what is done on the test.

There is so much information on this forum and other websites(Canadian, US, etc) regarding fitness for the military, running programs, etc 

-Skeletor- said:
  AFAIK the FORCE test doesn't become the official test until 2014.  In 2013 serving CF members will have the opportunity to do the FORCE test to get a feel for it,  but it won't be recorded.
I don't believe this is accurate, at least it isn't in the RCAF. Members who attempt the FORCE test and pass will be given the pass for the year. If you cannot complete or pass the FORCE test, you can still do the EXPRESS test as your annual evaluation. As well, only a failure of the EXPRESS test would begin the Admin ball rolling.

So, in the RCAF you will have to fail the FORCE test before being allowed to attempt the EXPRESS in 13/14?
Seems like a reasonable approach for the transition year.

Pandora114 said:

Thanks!
I ran the test last week- most of RMC did.  I found the FORCE test easy, and my performance on the EXPRES is exemption, while my PPT (RMC test) score is usually in the mid-300 level (possible 500 pts), where 400+ would be an extremely high level of fitness.  So over all, I'm a little above average, but not elite.

I assume you're young-ish (although I know that isn't always the case), if you're applying, and give the following insight:

I completed almost every test in less than half the time allotted.  I pushed myself pretty hard, but could have worked a lot less hard and still met the standard.

My training regime is pretty basic and varied- I run a few times a week (both distance/cardio and sprints/intervals), lift weights 1-2 times a week, and do bodyweight exercises (basic stuff- pushups, pull ups, core stuff) 3-4 times a week.  It's pretty average, and it prepared me well for the FORCE test.

My advice, if you are young and athletic, is just to train.  Intervals, cardio, and some kind of resistance training that includes squats, should get you more than ready for the FORCE test.  I can certainly see how some older people will have difficult with some of the tasks (sprints, for example) but young, athletic people should have no problem.  The one thing I did notice is that some of the short, thin girls had a hard time with the sandbag drag.  For a lot of them, it was well above (almost 2x) their body weight, and they found it pretty difficult; even so, most of them passed, and the rest have enough time to increase their strength that they should pass next year.

captloadie said:
Members who attempt the FORCE test and pass will be given the pass for the year. If you cannot complete or pass the FORCE test, you can still do the EXPRESS test as your annual evaluation. As well, only a failure of the EXPRESS test would begin the Admin ball rolling.

+1

This is what the FORCE CANFORGEN said.

Looking around, I cannot find the answer.

It says it's launched for Testing today. At Basic is this done, or is the EXPRES done until it's official launch April 2014?

ROTPApplicantWLU said:
Looking around, I cannot find the answer.

It says it's launched for Testing today. At Basic is this done, or is the EXPRES done until it's official launch April 2014?

I was at St Jean for a conference and tour a few weeks ago.  We were talking with the I/C of Warrior platoon and the PSP staff and I asked this same question.  The new FORCE will not be in effect at BMQ until 1 Apr 2014.  Until then, they will be working on how to integrate it into training and program.

jwtg said:
The one thing I did notice is that some of the short, thin girls had a hard time with the sandbag drag.  For a lot of them, it was well above (almost 2x) their body weight, and they found it pretty difficult; even so, most of them passed, and the rest have enough time to increase their strength that they should pass next year.

While squats and other leg strengthening exercises will certainly help, technique will go along way with this one.  The persons who have trouble with this need to get their legs pumping faster.  They should be using short and quick steps, likely double or even triple what they may be doing now, and once you get momentum, don't stop or slow down.

Ever watched a 180lb running back push back a 300lb lineman?  Watch his legs, they are pumping like crazy.  Try it yourself.  Push or pull against someone with slow "powerful" strides, and then try again with short and quick strides.  The latter will be much more effective.

STARTING 1 APR 2013, PSP FITNESS STAFF AND LOCAL CHAINS OF COMMAND WILL SCHEDULE FORCE EVALUATION FAMILIARIZATION SESSIONS TO INTRODUCE THE TEST TO LOCAL CAF PERSONNEL. THROUGHOUT FY 2013/2014, CAF PERSONNEL WILL BE REQUIRED TO ATTEMPT THE NEW FORCE EVALUATION AS THEIR FITNESS TEST ON A TRIAL BASIS. IF THEY MEET THE STANDARD, IT WILL COUNT AS THEIR FITNESS EVALUATION FOR THE NEXT 365-DAY PERIOD. IF NOT, THEY WILL BE REQUIRED TO HAVE A CURRENT CF EXPRES EVALUATION. CF EXPRES RESULTS OBTAINED IN FY 2013/2014 WILL BE VALID FOR 365 DAYS ONLY. NO EXEMPT STATUS WILL BE AWARDED. AS OF 1 APR 2014, THE FORCE EVALUATION WILL BECOME THE ONLY VALID CAF FITNESS TEST.

I attended the awareness session on base delivered by PSP, so this information is straight from the horse's mouth as of Thurs, 4 Apr 13 .  As stated in a recent CANFORGEN, everyone will still be required to attempt the FORCE evaluation this FY, even if you currently have exempt status from your last Express test.  If you fail, you can complete the Express test (this FY only) instead.  But as of 1 Apr 14, the Express test is no longer valid.  Also, there is no planned exemption incentive with the FORCE evaluation at this time.

The four tests of the FORCE Evaluation are to be administered in no specific order.  It will be whatever the test administrator deems most conducive to qualifying as many people as quickly as possible.

For the purposes of the FORCE Evaluation, all sandbags weigh 20kgs (44 lbs).

Sandbag lift- Alternatively lifting one of two side-by-side sandbags from the floor to touch a line on the wall that's 100 cms high.  X 30 reps over 3:30.  For reference, the guy demonstrating this test in the video is on pace to complete his 30 reps in half the alotted time.

5 min break

Loaded shuttle- 5 walks of 40 meters with a shouldered sandbag, and 5 reps of 40 meters with no weight (to be jogged or shuffled) in 5:21.

5 min break

Sandbag drag- 1 sandbag will be held close to the chest while it is tied to 4 other sandbags on the ground + a single 10kg weight plate (this extra 10kgs is added to compensate for the slickness of the floors at the particular base gym where I am) for 110kgs (242lbs) total.  The bags will be dragged for 20 meters.  There is no time limit for this test, however, it has to be completed without stopping.

5 min break

Rushes- Similar to a shuttle run: A total of 80 meters is covered, every 20 meters the line must be touched by your foot before you adopt the prone position and remove hands from the floor.  Then you get up and run to/turn around and run to the next line.  This has to be completed in 0:51.

And that's it.

If anyone has questions about it I can answer to the best of my knowledge.

How does the BFT fit into this? I've heard Project Force is taking the place of both the BFT and EXPRES, and I've also heard it's sit no change - except I assume if you can't get exempt on PF you won't get an exempt off the BFT...

FORCE is the minimum.  Elements, units etc can still have their pers do more.

airmich said:
FORCE is the minimum.  Elements, units etc can still have their pers do more.
+1 on this.

As I stated above, come 1 Apr 14, the Express and BFT will no longer be valid.  Units can do BFTs all they want but they won't exempt you from the FORCE evaluation.

And as of this time, there are NO plans for an exemption incentive with the FORCE evaluation.  So if you're exempt now, the only plus is how it looks on your PDR.

Exempt status could be picking both sandbags up at once and reaching the certain level on the wall instead of alternating back and forth between the two.

HavoK said:
As I stated above, come 1 Apr 14, the Express and BFT will no longer be valid.  Units can do BFTs all they want but they won't exempt you from the FORCE evaluation.

Wheres your CANARMYGEN to support this? The only thing I've ever seen was that EXPRES is gone 1 Apr 14 as per the CANFORGEN, not LFCPFS (aka the BFT).

PuckChaser said:
Wheres your CANARMYGEN to support this? The only thing I've ever seen was that EXPRES is gone 1 Apr 14 as per the CANFORGEN, not LFCPFS (aka the BFT).

I haven't seen that in writing.  My source is the Awareness Session given by PSP staff at CFB Edmonton two days ago.  I could be mistaken, but as I understand it- BFTs may (and probably will) still be required by certain units or for operational preparedness, but it won't be like it currently is where you have to complete either the BFT or Express test every year.  Everyone will be required to do the FORCE evaluation. 

Back