Author Topic: Signing a Petition? Go or No Go?  (Read 7182 times)

Offline dh101

• Rate Post
Signing a Petition? Go or No Go?
« on: March 11, 2013, 21:22:54 »
Well there is a petition that I want to sign and I really believe in the reasoning behind it. My main question is, am I barred from signing a petition as a current member of the CF, from what I remember from basic, I can't be a member of a political party, but would signing a petition get me in trouble. I'm not asking if you think I should or should not sign it, I'm asking if I'm legally allowed.

Cheers

Offline NeverDismount

• Rate Post
  • Never Ask an Officer for Directions
Re: Signing a Petition? Go or No Go?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 22:06:29 »
There are many others then more experience than I, so all I can offer is my own experience.

As a ROTP OCdt at a Civi university, even things like topics such as term papers can potentially be a problem. I spoke with the Base PSO and what he said was "If it passes the National Post Test, go ahead". Basically what he said is that if it would reflect poorly, or less than favorably, on the CF whilst on the front page of a paper, don't do it.

In my case, I stick to keeping a low public profile (in terms of political activism) and generally abstain from commenting on things that could come back on the CF in anyway, good or bad. I watch the topics and even the sources I use on papers.

Again, just my experience and opinion!
Through the mud and the blood to the green fields beyond.

Offline GreenGuy

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 22:08:40 »
I'am searching the Queen's Regulations and Orders for the Canadian Forces (QR&Os), http://www.admfincs-smafinsm.forces.gc.ca/qro-orf/index-eng.asp.

The answer should be in the QR&Os.

Offline C.G.R

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 22:17:41 »
Perhaps you could let us know what the petition is for?
Don't outsmart your common sense.

Offline dh101

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 22:25:47 »
The petition is in regards to the Chief Firearms Officers in Canada, under the Firearms Act

Offline Shamrock

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 22:54:19 »
As a ROTP OCdt at a Civi university, even things like topics such as term papers can potentially be a problem.

...what?

The petition is in regards to the Chief Firearms Officers in Canada, under the Firearms Act

19.10 - COMBINATIONS FORBIDDEN

No officer or non-commissioned member shall without authority:

combine with other members for the purpose of bringing about alterations in existing regulations for the Canadian Forces;
sign with other members memorials, petitions or applications relating to the Canadian Forces; or
obtain or solicit signatures for memorials, petitions or applications relating to the Canadian Forces.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 23:43:32 »
Personally, so long as it doesn't fall within the scope of 'matters affecting the CF', I'd say go for it. Signing a petition as a private citizen without invoking your military status or identity is something I firmly believe would be protected expression. We retain our rights under the Charter while in uniform, there are simply a few more variables involved in reckoning 'such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society'.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline jwtg

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 23:50:29 »
There are many others then more experience than I, so all I can offer is my own experience.

As a ROTP OCdt at a Civi university, even things like topics such as term papers can potentially be a problem. I spoke with the Base PSO and what he said was "If it passes the National Post Test, go ahead". Basically what he said is that if it would reflect poorly, or less than favorably, on the CF whilst on the front page of a paper, don't do it.

In my case, I stick to keeping a low public profile (in terms of political activism) and generally abstain from commenting on things that could come back on the CF in anyway, good or bad. I watch the topics and even the sources I use on papers.

Again, just my experience and opinion!
So what do you do when you write papers (if you do; hypothetically if you don't) for political science (especially Canadian politics) or international relations courses?  Spout party lines?

Just curious. 

Offline dh101

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 08:28:11 »
Personally, so long as it doesn't fall within the scope of 'matters affecting the CF', I'd say go for it. Signing a petition as a private citizen without invoking your military status or identity is something I firmly believe would be protected expression. We retain our rights under the Charter while in uniform, there are simply a few more variables involved in reckoning 'such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society'.

Alright, cheers, I figured the same, I'll just have to use a little common sense  ;)