Author Topic: Intelligence Officer / Operator  (Read 338634 times)

Offline stealthylizard

Conditional acceptance for B.Comm (ACC).

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: Becoming an Intelligence Officer in the Canadian Forces
« Reply #150 on: March 25, 2011, 06:57:40 »
Int O can be direct entry, if you have the right credentials for it.  Int op, you must have 3 years previous service.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #151 on: March 25, 2011, 09:38:50 »
Recceguy, your post also helps tremendously (it never hurts to know those sort of "methods"). 
I don't think Recceguy was recommending that route, or being remotely complimentary to anyone who manipulates the system to benefit themselves to the detriment of those adhering to established procedures.

While I don't know the person he's describing, he certainly sounds like someone not to be depended upon in a team situation. I'm sure we've all met people who will blade anyone around them to get ahead.

Offline Fergie

• Rate Post
  • Armour Recce Crew Commander
« Reply #152 on: March 25, 2011, 17:41:41 »
Journeyman,

That is the same impression I got from Recceguy's post.  I'll work on making sarcastic remarks more obvious... though it is still good to know for the sake of knowing  ;D

On a serious note to those methods, in general I personally think it is good knowledge to have.  Not being fully aware of all options to carry out a task/goal is leaving your tool box partially empty, which is always foolish.  I personally like to think I am above that type of conduct (and I'm sure my colleagues would back that sentiment) and that others avoid such measures, but it is obviously foolish to assume so (as you point out we all know that "someone"). 

What may have appeared to be an excellent opportunity initially may end hurting in the long run.  Recceguy's post made that more clear to me (which is helpful), as I had previously thought playing around with transfers would cut down on the wait, but would likely have repurcussions that outweigh the benefit of "getting in" quicker.  Your sentiment is appreciated and well taken.

-Fergie
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 17:48:20 by Fergie »
All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.
-Sun Tzu

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2011, 18:01:19 »
Journeyman,

That is the same impression I got from Recceguy's post.  I'll work on making sarcastic remarks more obvious... though it is still good to know for the sake of knowing  ;D

On a serious note to those methods, in general I personally think it is good knowledge to have.  Not being fully aware of all options to carry out a task/goal is leaving your tool box partially empty, which is always foolish.  I personally like to think I am above that type of conduct (and I'm sure my colleagues would back that sentiment) and that others avoid such measures, but it is obviously foolish to assume so (as you point out we all know that "someone"). 

What may have appeared to be an excellent opportunity initially may end hurting in the long run.  Recceguy's post made that more clear to me (which is helpful), as I had previously thought playing around with transfers would cut down on the wait, but would likely have repurcussions that outweigh the benefit of "getting in" quicker.  Your sentiment is appreciated and well taken.

-Fergie

I trust that you are above those sorts of tactics. They're useless, really, because you eventually get found out to be a fraud and coffee table chit chat loves stories like these about abuse of a system, a system that all participants are involved in. Basically it starts to follow you around and you'll find that you lose credibility for everything - and right you should, hell, even here!

You're astute enough to figure out that any benefit you gain from plopping around will be done in, perhaps a few times over, by the methods you use...some people just aren't as bright as you are.

Cheers
Be nice for no reason.

Offline word

• Rate Post
Intelligence Officer: Qualification Requirements DEO.
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2011, 00:08:09 »
I've searched the forum and could not find an answer to my question(s).

Here goes:

Does a DEO Intelligence Officer require a Masters degree before being accepted as a DEO for Intel? The Brochure says Masters (for DEO) and the page for Intelligence Officer itself (for DEO) says "undergraduate degree".

Feedback is appreciated.

Offline Michael O'Leary

• The moral high ground cannot be dominated by fire alone, it must be occupied to be claimed as held.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The Regimental Rogue
Re: Intelligence Officer: Qualification Requirements DEO.
« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2011, 00:17:37 »
Courtesy of Google - site:forces.ca intelligence officer

First hit - FORCES.CA - Intelligence Officer

Fact sheet tab - http://www.forces.ca/en/job/intelligenceofficer-76#info-1

Direct Entry Officer – DEO applicants must hold an undergraduate degree from an accredited Canadian university, preferably in one of the areas of study listed under “Qualification Requirements”. Proficiency in some foreign languages may be an asset.

INT Officers are normally required to have a university degree preferably in Economics, Geography, History, Imagery Science, Information Technology, International Studies, Journalism, Military and Strategic Studies, or Political Science.

You're welcome.

Offline word

• Rate Post
« Reply #156 on: April 06, 2011, 00:23:16 »
Thank You, I appreciate the help.

Yes, I noticed it said undergraduate on the website. However, the brochure says this: "Direct Entry Officer – DEO applicants must hold a Master degree from an accredited Canadian university, preferably in one of the areas of study listed under “Qualification Requirements”. Proficiency in some foreign languages may be an asset." What you posted was qualifications requirements and this is on the next page (a few paragraphs under it). I will definitely talk to the RC tomorrow about whether or not the Master's is needed.

Offline kratz

Back into the Fall routine.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2011, 00:31:01 »
While you are eager to compare and note different information:

Please do not quote this site as a reference.

MilNet.ca and her sister sites are privately owned and have no official affiliation with the CF.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline word

• Rate Post
« Reply #158 on: April 06, 2011, 00:36:24 »
I won't be saying that I found out the info from this site. On the CF officers page it says undergraduate degree (as one of the posters said) and it only says Master's in the brochure. So I will be comparing the info on the Forces official site compared to the official brochure for intel (the poster happened to post official info from the actual Forces intel officer webpage).

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2011, 07:53:27 »
Using your Open Source Research skills is a must and you are not doing too well so far.  If you have read any of the info posted on this (unofficial) site, you will see that INT is overborn in applicants.  There is currently approx two years worth of people waiting to attempt to become INT officers.  That means that the standards are going to be very high, and the failure rate will match that standard. 

INT may no longer be recruiting off the street, and for there to be any openings for DEO they will probably be only for people who have actual intelligence backgrounds from previous service or another government agency.   

If you are aspiring to become a "James Bond" you should probably look for a job in the motion picture industry, as INT professionals do nothing along those lines.  INT Os and INT Ops do not have a "Licence to Kill", nor the mandate to spy on people.  They collate information collected in reports from their sources: Armour and Infantry Recce, Snipers, CIMIC, Arty FOO/FAC, and numerous other agencies and organizations and then disseminate information to the Comd so (s)he can make decisions.  They do not go out and actively gather information themselves.  They sit at desks. 

If you want a job in Intel their recruiting page is:  JOBS AT INTEL.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline word

• Rate Post
« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2011, 08:59:43 »
You make some assumptions about my knowledge of what an intel job entails. I am not trying to be James Bond. I am knowledgeable in the field of International Relations and have strong research/analytical skills in that field. I appreciate the help though, 2-3 years of being backed up would be enough to make me consider a different trade (especially if I was competing mainly against those with Master's degrees and 4-6 years experience).

As far as unofficial info on this site, all the info I discussed is off the official Forces.ca site. I am going mainly by the 'official' site info and not speculation off the forum. However, what you said about 2 years backlog seems to be the general consensus anywhere I go (so it's probably more truth than speculation).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:09:09 by airdelta2 »

Offline word

• Rate Post
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2011, 09:06:20 »
My other picks for DEO are pilot/ACSO/armour if intel is not a direct possibility.

Offline reverse_engineer

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2011, 11:58:32 »
Just a hint. Here in Canada we refer to Intelligence as "Int" not "Intel". As George said, if you want a job with "Intel", click the link in his post. It will help to know little things like this if you are serious about getting your trade choice one day.

Best of luck with your application.

Offline Hal Jordan

• Rate Post
« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2011, 18:05:11 »
Just to corroborate what George said. A recruiter also told me that they usually hire people from other military trades i.e., maybe someone used to work in logistics so now they're switching to intelligence. As to your question about requiring a masters for intelligence officer, the answer is "no" according to my recruiter.Based on the CF website videos, your background in international relations is probably useful so don't be too discourage even if it's a competitive field. 

cheers

Hal

Offline Webgear

• Rate Post
« Reply #164 on: April 06, 2011, 19:16:25 »
From my understanding, you will have a great deal of difficultly becoming an Intelligence Officer because the branch is currently overloaded by 15%  in officer positions.

I have recently heard from a friend that the branch is only taking in one or two new officers per year for the next three years in all recruiting programs.

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #165 on: April 06, 2011, 19:55:42 »
Just a hint. Here in Canada we refer to Intelligence as "Int" not "Intel".

Not true. I spent 26 years in the int branch, a lot of it in the air force, mostly in the fighter world and I can say that among fighter pilots we were usually referred to as "intel" not "int." Not sure whether other air force units (transport, tac hel, navy) used intel vice int or not.
"Leave one wolf alive, and the sheep are never safe."

Arya Stark

Offline word

• Rate Post
« Reply #166 on: April 06, 2011, 20:07:52 »
Not true. I spent 26 years in the int branch, a lot of it in the air force, mostly in the fighter world and I can say that among fighter pilots we were usually referred to as "intel" not "int." Not sure whether other air force units (transport, tac hel, navy) used intel vice int or not.

Anyone I've ever spoken to (U.S. or Canada) has said intel. Int sounds weird...like a bad nickname.

I am not discouraged but I did talk to recruiting today and I was told: "No masters required and your background will help. However, you will be competing with people who are already officers and have 4-6 years experience....and potentially a masters degree." I am guessing these officers want the job because maybe once you hit captain rank - you can just transfer and be a captain in a new field (rather than restart at 2nd lt).

It's only one of my choices. I will also apply for ACSO - which I am preparing for (the testing). From what I hear AEC has a 10-15% passing rate, that's intense.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 20:10:42 by airdelta2 »

Offline WR

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #167 on: April 06, 2011, 20:17:05 »
Just a hint. Here in Canada we refer to Intelligence as "Int" not "Intel". As George said, if you want a job with "Intel", click the link in his post. It will help to know little things like this if you are serious about getting your trade choice one day.

Best of luck with your application.

In the military it is generally referred to as Int, but you may have heard intel used in a non-military context. CSIS and law enforcement agencies use Intel.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2011, 08:05:28 »
Anyone I've ever spoken to (U.S. or Canada) has said intel. Int sounds weird...like a bad nickname.

I'll be politically incorrect and say that that sounds just gay.  You will see and hear Americans and non-CF Canadians using the term RECON as well.  We in the CF use the term RECCE.   

As for our Air Force pilots using the term Intel; well they are pilots.  No need to say more on them.  Even Retired AF Guy uses the term INT in his profile.  He did not work for DGINTEL, but DGINT.  We don't refer to any of our types of Intelligence gathering as SIGINTEL, OPEN SOURCE INTEL, HUMINTEL, COMMINTEL, etc.  We use many different terms to describe what we do, that other nations don't use.   Just as if you went to England and were told to take the lift to room 303 and knock up Mr. X in the morning, you would have to learn to adapt and accept the different terminology of the locale.  Live with it.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Nauticus

• Rate Post
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2011, 16:03:56 »
Using your Open Source Research skills is a must and you are not doing too well so far.  If you have read any of the info posted on this (unofficial) site, you will see that INT is overborn in applicants.  There is currently approx two years worth of people waiting to attempt to become INT officers.  That means that the standards are going to be very high, and the failure rate will match that standard. 

INT may no longer be recruiting off the street, and for there to be any openings for DEO they will probably be only for people who have actual intelligence backgrounds from previous service or another government agency.   

If you are aspiring to become a "James Bond" you should probably look for a job in the motion picture industry, as INT professionals do nothing along those lines.  INT Os and INT Ops do not have a "Licence to Kill", nor the mandate to spy on people.  They collate information collected in reports from their sources: Armour and Infantry Recce, Snipers, CIMIC, Arty FOO/FAC, and numerous other agencies and organizations and then disseminate information to the Comd so (s)he can make decisions.  They do not go out and actively gather information themselves.  They sit at desks. 

If you want a job in Intel their recruiting page is:  JOBS AT INTEL.
Oh, godamnit. I better go cancel my CT...
"Fate guides who will; who won't, it drags."

Offline xFlashx

• Rate Post
« Reply #170 on: April 29, 2011, 22:35:50 »
Sorry to barge in. Was just reading thread....

Some guys previously mentioned how Intelligence officer ranks would be over filled.... Wondering what the case is for the Int Ops??

That is my goal.. (not officer) was wondering if they are similarly filling up at the NCM level?

Thx for any info. NP if not.

Offline GreenIsGood

• Rate Post
« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2011, 00:46:25 »
You should be asking the CF this question, since they are responsible for the info in question.

I had the same question you had, and asked a CF recruiter the day after you posted your question. Here is the answer I got: "A Masters was preferred and a bachelors was accepted for DEO. However Int O is no longer available for DEO since its [sic] receptor."

I hope the helps.

Offline ltmaverick25

• The keyboard is mightier then the sword!
  • Rate Post
« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2011, 15:44:47 »
Sorry for the late responce..

I know that the branch is full on WOs now, and short on Sgts.  However, I dont know what that translates into as far as availability for new Int Ops.  I will try to find out this week.

Offline word

• Rate Post
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2011, 00:19:47 »
Receptor? What's that mean?

Offline GreenIsGood

• Rate Post
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2011, 01:25:56 »
According to the recruiter I spoke with, 'receptor' means you have to be a current serving member of the CF to apply for that trade.