Author Topic: Why The World Is Getting Better And Why Hardly Anyone Knows It  (Read 570 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Why The World Is Getting Better And Why Hardly Anyone Knows It

"It’s ironic that in a world where knowledge and education are improving dramatically, there is widespread abysmal ignorance about the improving state of the world. “More than 9 out of 10 people do not think that the world is getting better.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2017/11/30/why-the-world-is-getting-better-why-hardly-anyone-knows-it/#2b5f71d47826
+700
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: Why The World Is Getting Better And Why Hardly Anyone Knows It
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 01:13:32 »
It's seems to be an uphill battle to point out these sort of facts. i believe it is because no one is really taught geography and in depth history anymore, therefore they have no yardstick to measure the present with, or where to start.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 09:14:06 »
It's seems to be an uphill battle to point out these sort of facts.
Some people just aren't into facts.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 10:02:24 »
Or, the trend of people thinking "it doesn't matter how bad it was before and that it's been getting better.  It's bad now for *reasons* and I want to complain about it."  You see it on forums like Reddit all the time.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 11:36:20 »
Some people just aren't into facts.

I would suspect that the author of the linked piece may fall into that category.  He makes the premise of his article that people don't know how much better the world is compared to 200 years ago and bases that conclusion on an online "survey" conducted by YouGov four years ago that asked one (and only one) question -  "All things considered, do you think the world is getting better or worse, or neither getting better or worse".  That amazing piece of research was based on little more than 18,000 responses from nine countries, all in the first world (Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, USA, Great Britain, Germany, Australia, France).

If I had been asked that same question yesterday, I might have answered in the negative because my response would probably have been coloured by media I had been exposed to over the previous months and years.  But today, when I know that the comparison is to be from the start of the Industrial Revolution to now (and of course, it is so obvious, how could I have been so narrowly focused) then my answer may be different.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 11:57:41 »
It's seems to be an uphill battle to point out these sort of facts. i believe it is because no one is really taught geography and in depth history anymore, therefore they have no yardstick to measure the present with, or where to start.

There has also been a tendency to intentionally eliminate history because it can be embarrassing, politically contentious or just plain inconvenient.  What is lost is the story of the balance between good and bad, risk and benefit, the limited value of great plans and the story of survival and advancement in spite of politicians.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"