Author Topic: Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS  (Read 561500 times)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS
« Reply #2050 on: November 29, 2019, 20:22:42 »
Here is the video released by Irving:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSb9z65VM8Q

She's looking good!

Nice to see her steaming on her own power.

I've heard different RUMINT about deck trials for the 148 starting in the near future as well...focus has been elsewhere recently so never seem to nail down any good gen on that.  Although I personally think the RCN needed something with some more speed and firepower, I'd be lying if I said I'd turn down a chance to be on a Det that went on a northern sail on one of these in the future.
"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #2051 on: November 29, 2019, 21:47:47 »
I suspect they spend as much or more time in the Caribbean and coast of Africa as they do in the Arctic.

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2052 on: November 30, 2019, 04:10:15 »
I suspect they spend as much or more time in the Caribbean and coast of Africa as they do in the Arctic.

There is isn't anything suspect about it, the ships will be deployed else where after freeze up including the Caribbean. The ships have the extra AC capacity to operate in the tropics.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #2053 on: November 30, 2019, 07:54:28 »
There is isn't anything suspect about it, the ships will be deployed else where after freeze up including the Caribbean. The ships have the extra AC capacity to operate in the tropics.

Maybe in the future, there will be a small Canadian Task Force on CARIBBE, complete with Cyclone's and Aurora's doing co-op stuff.

Offline Baz

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2054 on: November 30, 2019, 08:48:36 »
Maybe in the future, there will be a small Canadian Task Force on CARIBBE, complete with Cyclone's and Aurora's doing co-op stuff.

There has been that ineffective in the past, with a Frigate, Sea King, and Aurora.  Wasn't the most cost effective for the tasking...

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #2055 on: November 30, 2019, 12:35:40 »

Have the engine cooling systems been engineered to operate in warm tropical waters?  As well as cold arctic waters?
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

"If change isn’t allowed to be a process, it becomes an event." - Penny Mordaunt 10/10/2019

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #2056 on: November 30, 2019, 12:45:20 »
There has been that ineffective in the past, with a Frigate, Sea King, and Aurora.  Wasn't the most cost effective for the tasking...

But that was 'the past' and, no offense to SeaKing folks but there wasn't much to offer in terms of sensor cap's back then...that game has changed. 

If that TF was also only a Blk 2 Aurora...well...the potential has increased significantly on both the LRP/MH assets.

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2057 on: November 30, 2019, 12:47:36 »
Have the engine cooling systems been engineered to operate in warm tropical waters?  As well as cold arctic waters?

Yes and they have extra AC capacity to compensate for the extra load during tropical missions.

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Spencer100

• Rate Post
« Reply #2058 on: November 30, 2019, 15:49:58 »
Will it be a problem that they don't have a beartrap haul down system?

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2059 on: November 30, 2019, 16:01:55 »

I wouldn't think so, a lot of ships don't have them. In fact the NoCGV Svalbard which the AOPV is based on and operates a similar sized helo doesn't have one either.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 16:23:40 by Chief Engineer »

كافر

Offline Baz

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2060 on: November 30, 2019, 16:45:41 »

The pitch and roll limits will be lower, which will be established by air trials, usually by AETE, but the Cyclone Combined Test Force may be able to do them.

Offline Uzlu

• Rate Post
« Reply #2061 on: December 22, 2019, 14:12:30 »
Canada's new Arctic patrol ships could be tasked with hurricane relief

Navy expects to take possession of two new ships in the new year

The Canadian navy will take possession of two Arctic Offshore Patrol Ships in the new year — and it looks like they'll be spending as much time in the sunny south as they do in the Far North.

Vice-Admiral Art McDonald, the commander of the navy, told CBC News recently that military planners see the ships playing a role in delivering disaster relief in the Caribbean, where hurricanes have been increasing in size and destructive power.

"We can see a great opportunity to use this hurricane response as we go forward," McDonald said in a year-end interview. "Ironically, the Arctic offshore patrol vessel will find itself equally spending its time between our Far North and down south in support of our securing the continent."

The first of the long-awaited patrol ships, HMCS Harry DeWolf, conducted sea trials a few weeks ago under the supervision of its builder, Irving Shipbuilding of Halifax. It's due to be handed over to the navy in the spring, McDonald said.

Some members of the ship's inaugural crew took part in the shakedown to familiarize themselves with the new vessels.

"We've completed our training and we're ready to take it," McDonald said.

A second ship, HMCS Margaret Brooke, will be delivered to the navy in the fall.

Irving's Halifax Shipyard originally was slated to deliver the Harry DeWolf in 2018, but the deadline was pushed ahead to the end of 2019 and then pushed again into 2020.

That new timeline puts the date of delivery nearly five years after construction started.

McDonald said there are always delays when the first ships in a new class of vessels are introduced and the navy is satisfied it will receive fully functional, capable ships.

"We know that the lessons learned from tackling those production challenges, they're being folded into the second ship and into the third ship," he said.

Major component blocks of the third ship are being assembled at the Halifax yard now, and company officials, speaking recently on background, said production has become exponentially more efficient since the completion of the second vessel.

Steel for the fourth ship is being cut and shaped.

The brainchild of the former Conservative government, the Arctic Offshore Patrol Ships originally were pitched 15 years ago as three armed heavy icebreakers for the Far North. That morphed into a plan — originally pegged at $3.1 billion —  to build eight light icebreakers. The number was cut to five (with the possible addition of a sixth) by the time the program got underway.

A little more than a year ago, the Liberal government confirmed it would build a sixth ship for the navy and construct two others for the Canadian Coast Guard.

Irving is the prime contractor for the navy's new frigate program; some expressed concerns that the company would be stuck with a gap in production between the frigates and the patrol ships. The addition of the three new ships promised by the Liberals all but closes that construction gap, company officials acknowledged. It also added $800 million to the program's revised $3.5 billion budget.

CBC News recently was given access to the Harry DeWolf as contractors completed last-minute work. Compared with previous Canadian warships, its cabins and work areas are spacious and high-tech.

McDonald said he believes the versatile design will make the ship useful, not only for sovereignty and security patrols, but also for research projects.

"We can bring on scientists," he said. "We can bring on teams focused around missions that are larger than the navy as we go forward."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/arctic-offshore-patrol-ships-frigates-irving-canadian-navy-1.5404650

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2062 on: December 22, 2019, 15:07:51 »

كافر

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #2063 on: December 22, 2019, 15:26:04 »
Not really news when all RCN ships can be tasked with disaster relief.

Except that the original ConOps saw 8 ships spending all their time in Canadian waters following the ice.  Not 6 ships spending half their time in the Caribbean.

On the other hand the new CSCs with their enhanced boat decks should do well enough carting sea-cans.
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

"If change isn’t allowed to be a process, it becomes an event." - Penny Mordaunt 10/10/2019

Online MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #2064 on: December 22, 2019, 15:31:46 »
This is all about justifying naval/military assets in warm and fuzzy terms, hoping to convince the pols and public that spending is worthwhile. By the way CCG did hurricane relief too with Katrina:

A fourth ship loaded with supplies, the Canadian coast guard icebreaker Sir William Alexander, is lagging even further behind the Canadian navy task force and might not arrive until Wednesday...
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canadian-katrina-aid-to-arrive-monday/article20425643/

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2065 on: December 22, 2019, 15:38:52 »
Except that the original ConOps saw 8 ships spending all their time in Canadian waters following the ice.  Not 6 ships spending half their time in the Caribbean.

On the other hand the new CSCs with their enhanced boat decks should do well enough carting sea-cans.

The ConOPs that I saw at least 3 or 4 years ago had AOPS deploying to the Arctic, Caribbean, Africa and wherever else the RCN and government wanted to send them. That in conjunction with the Kingston Class. Wouldn't make much sense to tie them in Halifax or Esquimalt would it? The design for the AOPS takes into account operations in tropical areas.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 16:17:17 by Chief Engineer »

كافر

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #2066 on: December 22, 2019, 16:02:15 »
I'm glad I pushed to have the HADR kits put into Sea Cans last year...and that the folks in charge of that listened to me.
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline Underway

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2067 on: December 22, 2019, 16:56:12 »

On the other hand, the new CSCs with their enhanced boat decks should do well enough carting sea-cans.

Ships are flexible.  These ones in particular.  The Gov't will be happy with the new options the RCN can now provide them in more situations.

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #2068 on: December 22, 2019, 17:07:29 »
I'm glad I pushed to have the HADR kits put into Sea Cans last year...and that the folks in charge of that listened to me.

For us laymen, HADR kits?

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2069 on: December 22, 2019, 17:20:52 »
For us laymen, HADR kits?

I'm guessing Humanitarian and Disaster Relief

كافر

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #2070 on: December 23, 2019, 14:01:29 »
Almost got it - Humanitarian Aid/Disaster Relief

I was the Tech Services Chief at Base Logistics until March - last year when things were getting put together for AST, I was consulted about the contents of the kits - I reached out to sailors on the STJ who had done the HADR stuff in the Caribbean just a couple of months prior, and made some adjustments to the kits.

For example - there's now IMP's included in the 25 person kit (Annex A) so that the troops going ashore on the first day have food to bring with them, instead of having to worry about the ship pushing meals out to them ashore.  Talking to the PO2 who worked FP on that stint - he was ashore for 8 hours with his team and no food showed up...so...IMP's it is. 

I also got the "Brief Relief" portable potty bag kits included too.  Much easier than the 'blue rocket' that a junior LOGO in HQ though we'd be able to bring with the ships when we went out...
NS
+100
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2071 on: December 23, 2019, 14:36:29 »
See, I just assumed that with anything from the RCN, the letters "DR" had to be referring to "Dark Rum".
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Underway

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2072 on: December 23, 2019, 14:55:35 »
See, I just assumed that with anything from the RCN, the letters "DR" had to be referring to "Dark Rum".

I believe the RCN labeling system has that down as XXXX actually, (as opposed to XXX which is something totally different).

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
« Reply #2073 on: January 01, 2020, 14:42:19 »
While working on a report, I have been using this document on ice navigation in Canadian waters, some of you may find it interesting https://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/publications/icebreaking-deglacage/ice-navigation-glaces/docs/ice-navigation-dans-les-galces-eng.pdf

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #2074 on: January 02, 2020, 09:18:21 »
While working on a report, I have been using this document on ice navigation in Canadian waters, some of you may find it interesting https://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/publications/icebreaking-deglacage/ice-navigation-glaces/docs/ice-navigation-dans-les-galces-eng.pdf

Very interesting, Colin. Thanks for this. Page 81 makes you realize that I’ve can be a real threat.