• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Combat Dress (NCD) uniform [Merged]

Navy_Pete said:
Ironically the previous shirts, pants and jackets being poorly fitted did a really good job for fire protection; if you look at the results from the burn testing, the areas that were fully covered generally signficantly reduced the burns received, but there was still some first/second degree burns in spots where both layers tend to touch the skin (like between the shoulder blades).

Around the waist, where most people have huge baggy pockets of fabric where generally almost no burns; the air pockets prevented any significant heat transfer.

If you haven't seen the test video, they basically took an old pair of NCDs, put it on a dummy in the middle of four flamethrowers, hit it with a five second blast, then did some analysis (it was kitted out with sensors to measure the max temp, heat flux, etc).

They were ugly and didn't fit well, but felt a lot better about my chances of being able to run up a ladder through a hot gas layer (in a Kootenay type experience), or being in a space where something flared off (like a gas turbine with an oil leak that shot a fireball into the engine room).

Good points.  I wasn't privy to those trials and cannot say if the new stuff has been flame tested.  While not as baggy as the current stuff, they aren't skin tight either.

I suppose the new stuff is something I'd be willing to be caught dead in. (rim shot)

Don't suppose you asked if black was just the standard colour for display purposes or if the military was planning on a different colour, example blue?

Just curious :).

FyroniK said:
Don't suppose you asked if black was just the standard colour for display purposes or if the military was planning on a different colour, example blue?

Just curious :).

Actually it is Navy Blue(Black) but no it won't be actually blue.

Pusser said:
The wearing of the most expensive clothing in the inventory, in climate controlled offices in Canada makes absolutely no sense.  The folks at the coal face are complaining about shortages of the clothing they need and actually use for its intended purpose, yet HQ folks are wearing out the seats of the trousers sitting at their desks.  We have service dress for a reason...

but if they all wore service dress then who would be called on every time a work party is needed?  Need the Sgts/PO2s and below to be able to move things when ever someone gets the bright idea to shift or rearrange offices.    partly sarcasm but also true when I was at HQ level.  WO's and up did not wear combats.

It looks like a jacket and a T-shirt.  Not a shirt and T-shirt combo.  Why would you roll up jacket sleeves?  Doesn't this reduce weather comfort flexibility in the uniform vs the current blue shirt rolled up when warm, blue shirt sleeves down when cool,  and jacket+shirt when cold(ish).

If it doesn't have this type of flexibility I don't care how nice the jacket is.  It will alway be too warm as I can't be going around in my T-shirt doing stuff.

Underway said:
It looks like a jacket and a T-shirt.  Not a shirt and T-shirt combo.  Why would you roll up jacket sleeves?  Doesn't this reduce weather comfort flexibility in the uniform vs the current blue shirt rolled up when warm, blue shirt sleeves down when cool,  and jacket+shirt when cold(ish).

If it doesn't have this type of flexibility I don't care how nice the jacket is.  It will alway be too warm as I can't be going around in my T-shirt doing stuff.

It is not a jacket.  It is a shirt with tee shirt as the second layer.  There will be a fleece and a "puffy" jacket to go with it.

EDIT: Removed pictures because they've already been posted.  Looks like my post was merged with this thread.

New US Navy uniforms

http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/2018/06/another-uniform-failure.html

VSK6R5CA4BC2JDNUAVHHZX2WMY.jpg

Lumber said:
Tuck your god damn shirt in sailor!... What's that? Come again? Oh... It's supposed to be like that? That can't be... but... alright...

Lifted from Cdr Salamander's caption: 

OK fine, I'll say it.

Everyone, man and woman, looks 5-months pregnant.

Lumber said:
Tuck your god damn shirt in sailor!... What's that? Come again? Oh... It's supposed to be like that? That can't be... but... alright...

But CdrSalamander (and Navy Times) didn't use the US Navy imagery associated with the trial of these new uniforms.  Like all fashion marketing, you have to use models with better body type and flattering camera angles.

The USNI stayed with the program.

180601-N-FG909-0113.jpg

Though the photographer could have at least made sure they were in-step.

The boots are an interesting change.

1000w_q95-12.jpg

FSTO said:
New white peak cap will be available by late September
Issued HCW's are coming, sometime in the new year.

That's an awesome news!!!! I guess I can hold off on buying it from states!!
high collar whites all the way!!

Well the take away is that the RCN will look better than the USN :)  in their new uniforms. 

Blackadder1916 said:
The boots are an interesting change.

Makes sense for quick don, but I wonder how the elastic would work in a fire situation.  Won't it just melt onto the sock/foot?

Back