• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Combat Dress (NCD) uniform [Merged]

hamiltongs said:
I'm not sure the jacket is altogether different from the one we have now (aside from the arm pockets). I think it looks a bit dweebish in the photo because he's wearing it zipped all the way up to the chin, but I remember that when they first issued the current jacket people used to do that as well... until they realized that it looked less retarded with the collar folded down.

I'm afraid you'll have to forgive me if I think the jacket looks dweebish, either now, or in the pictures provided.

The new stuff looks pretty much like the old stuff to my old eyes  ::).  As a work uniform I don't have a problem with it at all.  Not a fan of walking out dress.  I prefer to wear my own clothes, thank you.  As for cammo for sailors, especially as walk out dress, ridiculous and unnecessary.  The garrison dress of the 90's was ugly to the extreme and a big waste of dollars that could have been spent more wisely instead of making some bloody chief in Borden feel better about himself.  If you are going to be doing operations ashore away from home for example as part of the boarding team  or TFA then you should be issued with the appropriate colour cadpat if you need it as I was for TFA.    my :2c:

I really don't why the powers to be had to mess with the current NCD's. I had a look at these new ones up close and they look heavy and baggy. The "name tag" and the Canada patch looks out of place, with the Navy/Marine makes it simply makes it look stupid.
I personally think the current salt and peppers should be the walking out dress, it looks more professional. The work dress should be some kind of fire resistant coverall, other countries successfully use coveralls for their dress and it works fine. I bet the price for a new set of NCD's far outweight the price for a set of coveralls.

Stoker said:
I personally think the current salt and peppers should be the walking out dress, .

Forgive my ignorance but i dont understand this fascination with "walking out dress". Its been mentioned here many times.

I wear flight suits to work and its doesnt seem to say "i'm an amateur" as i travel to and from work, so i dont get this preceived need to go to work in one uniform and change into another, just to revert back on the way home.

Just one more thing to piss off people if you ask me.

CDN Aviator said:
Forgive my ignorance but i dont understand this fascination with "walking out dress". Its been mentioned here many times.

I wear flight suits to work and its doesnt seem to say "i'm an amateur" as i travel to and from work, so i dont get this preceived need to go to work in one uniform and change into another, just to revert back on the way home.

I agree, I personally think a uniform is a uniform and you can have uniforms for doing physical/active work (work dress) or office work (3B's etc.).  Not sure why there is this need to wear one uniform in route to work, then change just to be at work, and then change again just to go home...

I am glad I am not the only one who was wondering about this walking out dress stuff.  I never heard of it, and we used to get plenty dirty at work in Gagetown when I was green, and we still 'went home' like that.  What gives with this "the public must see the Navy as clean and shiney all the time" idea?

CDN Aviator said:

As was mentioned earlier, the whole "walking out dress" shenanigans started just prior to the Navy's 75th anniversary in 1985.  Work dress (the green stuff and the NCDs) was only for shipboard use for the longest time, because it got so ingrained into MARCOMHQ that sailors could only look presentable to the public in service dress.

We're talking about an organization that actually published (and frequently amended) policy for saluting in the tunnels outside the dockyard.  ;D

Occam said:
We're talking about an organization that actually published (and frequently amended) policy for saluting in the tunnels outside the dockyard.  ;D

Also an organization that took 80 years to figure out the sailor's heads might get cold in the winter and that a touque might be a good idea....... ;D

And then published about a hundred changes to the dress regs about when and with what you could wear it!! I swear we all need PDAs or BlackBerry's just to keep abreast of the dress regs as they change from the time you leave the house until you arrive at Stad or Dockyard.

Messmom said:
Also an organization that took 80 years to figure out the sailor's heads might get cold in the winter and that a touque might be a good idea....... ;D

And then published about a hundred changes to the dress regs about when and with what you could wear it!! I swear we all need PDAs or BlackBerry's just to keep abreast of the dress regs as they change from the time you leave the house until you arrive at Stad or Dockyard.

Hopefully it'll be one of those ones with GPS installed, so it can alert you when you're nearing a boundry and need to change. I can hear the voice on the way home now.

"You are approaching the dockyard gate. In 20 m remove ballcap, put on beret."

"You are approaching home. In 50 m remove pants."

Sailorwest said:
You remove your pants when you are 50 m from home? Is that rain or shine?  ;D

I was thinking more along the lines of "In 50m you will be at home and thus can remove your pants." That having been said, your interpertation sounds like more fun.

gcclarke said:
I was thinking more along the lines of "In 50m you will be at home and thus can remove your pants." That having been said, your interpertation sounds like more fun.
Yes, until you get to spend the night in jail contemplating why you wandered down the street without wearing your pants.  :crybaby:

Necro thread, but the thread title matches the subject of this post.

The Facebook page, "Royal Canadian Navy Today and Yesterday" posted the image below, identifying it as "proposed new naval combat design".  The NCD's are being revised again?

I have no doubt.  We "might" be getting a fleece jacket too.  I've seen a suggested prototype.  I like it and hope we get one.

Privateer said:
Necro thread, but the thread title matches the subject of this post.

The Facebook page, "Royal Canadian Navy Today and Yesterday" posted the image below, identifying it as "proposed new naval combat design".  The NCD's are being revised again?

Looks like someone on the dress committee has a real hard-on for the army. That looks just like the new CADPAT but in black (in terms of patch placement and pockets).

Why not, from a production point of view.  Our walking out dress rain gear is a direct copy of the cadpat pattern.  Makes it much easier to have the company make the same pattern clothes just in different fabrics as specified.  Will cost less as there's less change up that needs to be done. 

jollyjacktar said:
Why not, from a production point of view.  Our walking out dress rain gear is a direct copy of the cadpat pattern.  Makes it much easier to have the company make the same pattern clothes just in different fabrics as specified.  Will cost less as there's less change up that needs to be done.

I'd say it makes sense for even small things like nametapes and ranks.  Is the new CADPAT clothing fire-retardant? 

The RN also have something similar (a dark blue version of the Brit Army's operational dress):
Royal-navy-uniforms-side-by-side.jpg

I know it's just a model, but they could at least have gone with the current black and gold accoutrements.

ModlrMike said:
I know it's just a model, but they could at least have gone with the current black and gold accoutrements.

The latest dress committee minutes did mention a new style of NCD's. If they shrank down the Canada flag and changed over to RCN name tags and ranks it would look better.

I heard similar rumors....identical pattern NCD's to current Combat Clothing, just in black vice CADPAT.

Same company, same patterns, makes sense.

NS

Back