• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Combat Dress (NCD) uniform [Merged]

Blackadder1916 said:
Something . . . like this?

That is sharp.  Zebra print looks a little more dapper though.
Sugar_Sugah_Daddy_Zebra_Print_Drape.jpg

The new NCD will likely be the same cut as the Army's combat clothing, but in a monochrome (dark blue), fire-retardant material.  Even the Americans are getting rid of their "aquaflage." 

Pusser said:
The new NCD will likely be the same cut as the Army's combat clothing, but in a monochrome (dark blue), fire-retardant material.  Even the Americans are getting rid of their "aquaflage."

I thought it was decided already for the RCN as what you said above?  The USN is getting rid of the Blueberries (Type I) and so all USN folks will wear their green version (Type III) that looks a little like TW CADPAT from afar...but not onboard ship, where they'll have dark blue coveralls.  So, I'm not really sure how they were saving any money in the end aside from optics (and fashion).

Incidentally, if the shirt is zippered (like the US Army version that started all of this) and available in olive drab, it'd be a good replacement for the current 2-piece flying suit top. 

The new Naval combats won't be camo, in fact it may not even be the style that was published. It is a number of years away at this point.

Chief Stoker said:
The new Naval combats won't be camo, in fact it may not even be the style that was published. It is a number of years away at this point.

Sooo, kind of like new ships, huh?  ;D

SeaKingTacco said:
Sooo, kind of like new ships, huh?  ;D

There's a good possibility that the extra bling on the NCD's is going away, units don't want to pay for it.

In a quasi related note, has anyone gotten a new navy tunic recently?

I had to get a new one when I realized the old one was tight enough it was making my arms numb; new one showed up in the mail and it looks cheap as a Hamilton blind date.  Fabric is weirdly shiny and it has the really obvious coarse stitching.  Shouldn't be surprised given the quality of the shirts and pants now I guess, but still.

Funnily enough couldn't get a bigger size by increasing the chest/shoulder measurements; when went to manually select a size apparently I would have had to make the waist bigger.... ???

Based on the clothes I keep getting, I can't help but think the naval tailors use a dummy shaped like this; /\  I think they've gotten the vee shape inverted somewhere!

Chief Stoker said:
There's a good possibility that the extra bling on the NCD's is going away, units don't want to pay for it.

Also if you aren't under the RCN L1 org (e.g. FELEX Det, NDQAR, etc), base supply isn't issuing the latest rev of NCD jackets to them... so uptake to the current 'dress reg' hastily-without-fore-thought released on the street is being snubbed.  As three of my CPO2s that out... the budget allotment to get the required additional adornments was swiftly reallocated to more PP&S.  Going to be interesting at my next posting when the question comes why I didn't get the good stuff (not really going to matter as I'll be in N3B/N3Cs more often than not which haven't changes for the last 20 years).

Next time the navy dress committee dreams up a ******* dress change order/directive they ought to make sure CFSS is stocked and ready to distribute it properly before going 'live' (NAVGEN message release).  I like the latest last minute one for the metal SSI pin in place of the cloth, with only two weeks notice before BOA parade - wonder how this panned out?

donaldk said:
Next time the navy dress committee dreams up a ******* dress change order/directive they ought to make sure CFSS is stocked and ready to distribute it properly before going 'live' (NAVGEN message release).  I like the latest last minute one for the metal SSI pin in place of the cloth, with only two weeks notice before BOA parade - wonder how this panned out?
?
You aren't actually inferring that he RCN would make decisions without input or the understanding of the logistics, are you ?  ;)

Navy_Pete said:
In a quasi related note, has anyone gotten a new navy tunic recently?

I had to get a new one when I realized the old one was tight enough it was making my arms numb; new one showed up in the mail and it looks cheap as a Hamilton blind date

My face when I'm a Hamilton native:

973b2ef56162a9a5a4be106cbebbe185_unimpressed-meme-memesuper-unimpressed-meme_625-416.jpeg

donaldk said:
I like the latest last minute one for the metal SSI pin in place of the cloth, with only two weeks notice before BOA parade - wonder how this panned out?

Could have been a lot worse; it's really easy to take off the cloth and put on the metal. Imagine if it had been the other way around!  :(

What we're seeing at my unit is that we are getting our NAVY/MARINE name tapes, flags and even a embroidered flat SSI at a place in Dartmouth and paying out of pocket. None of this is really official either with many around the yard wearing different items.

Chief Stoker said:
What we're seeing at my unit is that we are getting our NAVY/MARINE name tapes, flags and even a embroidered flat SSI at a place in Dartmouth and paying out of pocket. None of this is really official either with many around the yard wearing different items.

They released orders in NAVRES indicating that that the "new" RCN ball cap has been approved, and that units are not to have a mix of new and old (implying that as soon as you start getting new hats, you need to replace EVERYONE's ball caps at the same time). While a few (including on here) have shown me some suppliers who are producing a cotton/polyester mix, which is different form the old 100% cotton ball caps, I have yet to see anything OFFICIAL that says "This is what the new ball cap is. This is what it looks like. This is what it is made up." There was also talk of putting the CNE on the back of the new ball-caps. Is that part of the "approved" "new" RCN ball cap?

donaldk said:

Where would a person find this notice on the metal SSI? I have looked through the 2017 NAVGENS and did not see it there.

Big Spoon said:
Where would a person find this notice on the metal SSI? I have looked through the 2017 NAVGENS and did not see it there.

It was an email from the RCN Chief, and apparently a CANFORGEN is to be released shortly.

Lumber said:
It was an email from the RCN Chief, and apparently a CANFORGEN is to be released shortly.

Thanks for the help, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Any word on if this is going to impact those of us Airforce types that have gone to sea?

Big Spoon said:
Thanks for the help, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything. Any word on if this is going to impact those of us Airforce types that have gone to sea?

AKIAK the RCAF and ARMY types will remain with the cloth pins.

This directive has been very poorly implemented.

Back