• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Combat Dress (NCD) uniform [Merged]

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Really? Makes me want to puke.

I mean, do you really need an anchor after your name on the name tag, then the words Navy * Marine on the other side, right near a huge Canadian white ensign (which identify you as Navy by itself) and then the RCN command badge below that??? (I know - that's because they ARE the command team, this last one would be your ship's/unit badge normally - but really for the RCN command team: leave the damn thing blank please.)

And, seriously, is he actually arm wrestling that poor Australian Able Seaman  :facepalm:

This has really gone off the rails. These are designed for shipboard use so it should have the basics. Your name, your trade (for the hands) and the ships crest. Thats it. (and of course your Rank as pointed out by OGBD below)
And you shouldn't need to wear it off the Base/Dockyard and especially if you are working in an air conditioned office FFS.

If the uniform doesn't look army most Canadians automatically assume some
other public service. Due to the dark colours: police, security guard, are better than the previous
NCDs and thought of as bus conductors or milk men.

Maritime blindness, is why we need these big badges. Personal experience with other groups,
the public will still not care.

No, it should never have been walking out dress.

I am with FSTO, with one small exception: we need rank badge on top of what he indicates.

And absolutely yes: shipboard/dockyard wear only.

All the other extra bling is armyness creeping in.  ;D

Every time I see new uniform with even more patches than the last, I become more convinced that the T.G.I.Friday's manager from Office Space now has a seat on the CAF Dress Committee.  :facepalm:

Attachments

• 8d6321d5206b0141ea541a670fd36b9ff8e51873b2a0135e82f910e35eb8622e.jpg
    8d6321d5206b0141ea541a670fd36b9ff8e51873b2a0135e82f910e35eb8622e.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 377
Oldgateboatdriver said:

I mean, do you really need an anchor after your name on the name tag, then the words Navy * Marine on the other side, right near a huge Canadian white ensign (which identify you as Navy by itself) and then the RCN command badge below that??? (I know - that's because they ARE the command team, this last one would be your ship's/unit badge normally - but really for the RCN command team: leave the damn thing blank please.)

And, seriously, is he actually arm wrestling that poor Australian Able Seaman  :facepalm:
Everybody has something next to their name respective of if they're navy, army or air force.  Has been so for a long time now.  I'm ok with that.  The navy marine tag is hideous to my eyes and not necessary.  Also, not keen on the jacket going by the wayside, it's a good extra layer of FR.  At least the present shirt will be gone, the new shirt is better.

Wait! There's no jacket? Is there a sweater, or on cool days personnel on the upper deck will have to go straight from only a shirt on to wearing the floater jackets?

There is a cunning plan l hear to get a fleece that's FR and g2g for shipboard use.  But essentially, yes the jacket is gone.  The shirt and tee shirt will be considered a second layer of clothing equal.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Wait! There's no jacket? Is there a sweater, or on cool days personnel on the upper deck will have to go straight from only a shirt on to wearing the floater jackets?

Black rain jackets.  Same as the army folks.

Oldgateboatdriver said:

She's Kiwi, but yeah.  Still, the fact that you don't need to tuck it in is a point in my books.  The bling can go though.

Underway said:

AKAIK it wont be the black coats we were issued a couple of years ago. Do you mean the dark blue replacement for the Yellow Canary Suits?

Oldgateboatdriver said:

I don't care for the patches, and the Army uniforms look equally as silly, but the uniform itself looks pretty good to me.

Underway said:

Those are the CCR...converged CADPAT raingear, Army and RCAF get them issued.  Not a bad piece of kit really.

Everyone is going patch crazy there days it seems.  And bling crazy in DEUs.  Forge caps, shoulder ranks etc and seemingly it's starting at the top and trickling down...

https://www.facebook.com/RCAFAssociationARC/photos/a.123415204515987.1073741829.122696064587901/727521357438699/?type=3&theater

The black rain gear is top notch.  I don't have a single bad comment except l can't keep it when l release.  The new shipboard rain gear came out as l was leaving the coast but l understand it's fantastic too.  Almost anything is compared to the canary suit.

Dimsum said:
She's Kiwi, but yeah.

If she's Kiwi, Dimsum, those stars on the Southern Cross of her flag look pretty white too me, not red.

Did you guys switch flags around?  ;D

Also, while I don't have any qualms about the rain gear in and of itself, it's pretty "sweaty" if you know what I mean. We tend to work in a pretty  humid environment when there is no rain and I would say about 50% of the time, it is in temperatures that don't warrant wearing winter gear, such as the Floater jackets. When you actually work on deck, it' is therefore cool, but sweaty, except for CPO's and officers who don't have to do the physical work deck hands actually do, but wearing a rain jacket would be overly warm for actual deck crew, while the single shirt over T-shirt would be just on the cool side. You need that sort of intermediate ( I call it off-season) extra layer: just enough but not too much, and fully breathing.

For those who don't know, BTW, this is exactly the reason "polar fleece" was invented, and guess for whom: The Norwegian Navy.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
If she's Kiwi, Dimsum, those stars on the Southern Cross of her flag look pretty white too me, not red.

Did you guys switch flags around?  ;D

Maybe it's the light, but she is most definitely Kiwi.  The RAN uniforms are camouflage and they wear their Naval Jack, not the Australian National Flag, on their shoulder.  The second picture are RNZN folks.

cms-image-000000966.jpg

cms-image-000006427.jpg

As an aside, just be glad that we didn't decide to follow the RAN in NCD fashion  :-X

kratz said:
If the uniform doesn't look army most Canadians automatically assume some
other public service. Due to the dark colours: police, security guard, are better than the previous
NCDs and thought of as bus conductors or milk men.

Maritime blindness, is why we need these big badges. Personal experience with other groups,
the public will still not care.

No, it should never have been walking out dress.

How much do you want to bet that joe-public sees the "Navy/Marine" tape and immediately assumes the person he is talking to is a "Marine"?

"Semper-Fi, dude!"

Do shirts with come with different sized velcro if you're a submariner or a clearance diver?  That patch works for the 'escargot fork & sushi' dive badge but is too narrow for the wider dolphins.  :pop:

As an aside, I just read the pre-deployment PT test thread before this one, and saw all the "we're Navy -- f*ck you Army" comments.  Well, this uniform just screams NAVY (in both languages), and folks still  aren't happy.   ;D

Of course not, Lumber!

Every Canadian would instantly know that if such was the case, the tape would read "Marines * Fusilier marin".

:rofl:

Journeyman said:
As an aside, I just read the pre-deployment PT test thread before this one, and saw all the "we're Navy -- **** you Army" comments.  Well, this uniform just screams NAVY (in both languages), and folks still  aren't happy.   ;D

Don't get us wrong, Journeyman. I don't think anyone has any qualms about the colour or the styling of the uniform. What we have reservations about is the twenty-thousand square acres of  patches and bling that is (1) meaningless to us at sea; and (2) repeat the same "message" over and over.

Seaman are by nature practical and succinct people.If the uniform "screams" Navy, then why bother to actually write it on the uniform?

There are three pieces of information that seaman need to know about each other when they meet: What is this person's rank, trade and what unit is she from. The actual name is a good add on, and finally, for the public at large, which country is this seaman from. And all of these can be done in a more discreet fashion.

As for my other surprise, the lack of sweater/jacket, it is not a comment against the uniform itself, it is just that for a very important part of the year (about 50%), we work on the upper decks in temperatures that make it a little cool for just a shirt over T-shirt, but is too warm for an actual weather jacket such as the floater jackets we have for full winter temperatures. So I was surprised they didn't retain some form of intermediate piece of clothing. 

Back